Messenger 6.2 / Administrative Tools Problem

When I attempt to download MSN Messenger 6.2, after going through all the
download steps, I get the error message: "Could not access network location
<Comon Administrative Tools>.AllUsers\." and then I press cancel/ok and I get
the error message from MSN saying that the installation was interrupted.
Then I press ok and I get the error message "MSN Messenger has failed with
the error code: '1603'. Please go to the MSN Messenger Website and download
the software from there.

I am also unable to download things such as ADOBE Acrobat Reader, etc but
then I am able to download other things.
So I contacted MSN and they gave me instructions which didn't work. So I
was wondering if any of you know what to do, or do I have to take my computer
in to get fixed?
6 answers Last reply
More about messenger administrative tools problem

    This response might sound like a cop-out, but after rebooting (that's always
    worth a try), try the download again in a few hours, when perhaps the
    internet is less travelled. Last Saturday evening, I had a problem where I
    couldn't see a friend who was online and they couldn't see me ... and I was
    definitely online. Another friend (online, but in a different time zone)
    explained that they often see this behaviour during heavy messenger traffic.
    It might not be the answer you are looking for, but it won't hurt anything
    to give it a try. Good luck. Diana

    "aquaholic" <aquaholic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    When I attempt to download MSN Messenger 6.2, after going through all the
    download steps, I get the error message: "Could not access network location
    <Comon Administrative Tools>.AllUsers\." and then I press cancel/ok and I
    get
    the error message from MSN saying that the installation was interrupted.
    Then I press ok and I get the error message "MSN Messenger has failed with
    the error code: '1603'. Please go to the MSN Messenger Website and download
    the software from there.

    I am also unable to download things such as ADOBE Acrobat Reader, etc but
    then I am able to download other things.
    So I contacted MSN and they gave me instructions which didn't work. So I
    was wondering if any of you know what to do, or do I have to take my
    computer
    in to get fixed?

    ---

    One of the causes behind error 1603 is a corrupt install file. Download that
    same file again and attempt another reinstall. If that doesn't work, the
    Windows Installer itself could be at fault. Here's a list of remedies
    according to OS type:

    Windows XP:
    1. Click Start Menu --> Run, type in "cmd" (without the quotations) and
    press Enter.
    2. In the Command window, type in "msiexec /unregister" (without
    quotations). After this is done, type in "msiexec /regserver".

    Windows 95, 98, ME:
    1. Go to
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=CEBBACD8-C094-4255-B702-DE3BB768148F
    and redownload the Windows Installer 2.0.

    For Windows 2000 and NT, go to
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=4B6140F9-2D36-4977-8FA1-6F8A0F5DCA8F
    to redownload the Windows Installer.

    Once you've reinstalled the Windows Installer, then try to install MSN
    Messenger again. Let me know how it turns out.

    Sincerely,
    Michael Katz [MVP - MSN Client]
    --

    "aquaholic" <aquaholic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I attempt to download MSN Messenger 6.2, after going through all the
    > download steps, I get the error message: "Could not access network
    > location
    > <Comon Administrative Tools>.AllUsers\." and then I press cancel/ok and I
    > get
    > the error message from MSN saying that the installation was interrupted.
    > Then I press ok and I get the error message "MSN Messenger has failed with
    > the error code: '1603'. Please go to the MSN Messenger Website and
    > download
    > the software from there.
    >
    > I am also unable to download things such as ADOBE Acrobat Reader, etc but
    > then I am able to download other things.
    > So I contacted MSN and they gave me instructions which didn't work. So I
    > was wondering if any of you know what to do, or do I have to take my
    > computer
    > in to get fixed?

    Thanks for the help. I have Windows XP and typing that into cmd didn't work.
    Is there something else I need to type in there? Because it doesn't seem to
    change much when I type it in, it just keeps saying C:\>. Is there any place
    I can download it from?

    Thanks again

    "Michael Katz [MVP]" wrote:

    > One of the causes behind error 1603 is a corrupt install file. Download that
    > same file again and attempt another reinstall. If that doesn't work, the
    > Windows Installer itself could be at fault. Here's a list of remedies
    > according to OS type:
    >
    > Windows XP:
    > 1. Click Start Menu --> Run, type in "cmd" (without the quotations) and
    > press Enter.
    > 2. In the Command window, type in "msiexec /unregister" (without
    > quotations). After this is done, type in "msiexec /regserver".
    >
    > Windows 95, 98, ME:
    > 1. Go to
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=CEBBACD8-C094-4255-B702-DE3BB768148F
    > and redownload the Windows Installer 2.0.
    >
    > For Windows 2000 and NT, go to
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=4B6140F9-2D36-4977-8FA1-6F8A0F5DCA8F
    > to redownload the Windows Installer.
    >
    > Once you've reinstalled the Windows Installer, then try to install MSN
    > Messenger again. Let me know how it turns out.
    >
    > Sincerely,
    > Michael Katz [MVP - MSN Client]
    > --
    >

    > "aquaholic" <aquaholic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > When I attempt to download MSN Messenger 6.2, after going through all the
    > > download steps, I get the error message: "Could not access network
    > > location
    > > <Comon Administrative Tools>.AllUsers\." and then I press cancel/ok and I
    > > get
    > > the error message from MSN saying that the installation was interrupted.
    > > Then I press ok and I get the error message "MSN Messenger has failed with
    > > the error code: '1603'. Please go to the MSN Messenger Website and
    > > download
    > > the software from there.
    > >
    > > I am also unable to download things such as ADOBE Acrobat Reader, etc but
    > > then I am able to download other things.
    > > So I contacted MSN and they gave me instructions which didn't work. So I
    > > was wondering if any of you know what to do, or do I have to take my
    > > computer
    > > in to get fixed?

    I found out what was wrong. I did a search on Microsoft.com and found that I
    had to change my registry. So everything works now.

    "aquaholic" wrote:

    > When I attempt to download MSN Messenger 6.2, after going through all the
    > download steps, I get the error message: "Could not access network location
    > <Comon Administrative Tools>.AllUsers\." and then I press cancel/ok and I get
    > the error message from MSN saying that the installation was interrupted.
    > Then I press ok and I get the error message "MSN Messenger has failed with
    > the error code: '1603'. Please go to the MSN Messenger Website and download
    > the software from there.
    >
    > I am also unable to download things such as ADOBE Acrobat Reader, etc but
    > then I am able to download other things.
    > So I contacted MSN and they gave me instructions which didn't work. So I
    > was wondering if any of you know what to do, or do I have to take my computer
    > in to get fixed?

    Would you mind posting what article you got that from? I'd be interested in
    finding out the cause...

    Sincerely,
    Michael Katz [MVP - MSN Client]
    --

    >I found out what was wrong. I did a search on Microsoft.com and found that
    > had to change my registry. So everything works now.
    >
    > "aquaholic" wrote:
    >
    >> When I attempt to download MSN Messenger 6.2, after going through all the
    >> download steps, I get the error message: "Could not access network
    >> location
    >> <Comon Administrative Tools>.AllUsers\." and then I press cancel/ok and I
    >> get
    >> the error message from MSN saying that the installation was interrupted.
    >> Then I press ok and I get the error message "MSN Messenger has failed
    >> with
    >> the error code: '1603'. Please go to the MSN Messenger Website and
    >> download
    >> the software from there.
    >>
    >> I am also unable to download things such as ADOBE Acrobat Reader, etc but
    >> then I am able to download other things.
    >> So I contacted MSN and they gave me instructions which didn't work. So I
    >> was wondering if any of you know what to do, or do I have to take my
    >> computer
    >> in to get fixed?
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    Hi,

    I believe he's referring to this one:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315352
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    "Michael Katz [MVP]" <michaelk[AT]mvps.org> wrote in message
    > Would you mind posting what article you got that from? I'd be interested in finding out the
    > cause...
    >
    > Sincerely,
    > Michael Katz [MVP - MSN Client]
    > --
    >

    > "aquaholic" <aquaholic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>I found out what was wrong. I did a search on Microsoft.com and found that I
    >> had to change my registry. So everything works now.
    >>
    >> "aquaholic" wrote:
    >>
    >>> When I attempt to download MSN Messenger 6.2, after going through all the
    >>> download steps, I get the error message: "Could not access network location
    >>> <Comon Administrative Tools>.AllUsers\." and then I press cancel/ok and I get
    >>> the error message from MSN saying that the installation was interrupted.
    >>> Then I press ok and I get the error message "MSN Messenger has failed with
    >>> the error code: '1603'. Please go to the MSN Messenger Website and download
    >>> the software from there.
    >>>
    >>> I am also unable to download things such as ADOBE Acrobat Reader, etc but
    >>> then I am able to download other things.
    >>> So I contacted MSN and they gave me instructions which didn't work. So I
    >>> was wondering if any of you know what to do, or do I have to take my computer
    >>> in to get fixed?

Download Messenger MSN Messenger Error Message Windows XP