Please Help!

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

I've had this game since release nearly. I always struggle as the game
progresses to keep up with the other nations.

I always start off very strongly but can't seem to keep up.

What is the best kind of strategy to adopt for England?

Thanks

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Dave,

there's an excellent guide to playing as England (make sure you've got
Conquests though!) on Civfanatics.com - give it a go, its quite different to
the usual kind of game and you can conquer the seas with the Man o war

Nick

"Dave" <davidfarcet@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> I've had this game since release nearly. I always struggle as the game
> progresses to keep up with the other nations.
>
> I always start off very strongly but can't seem to keep up.
>
> What is the best kind of strategy to adopt for England?
>
> Thanks

Erik

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 20:46:58 +0000 (UTC), Dave
<davidfarcet@btopenworld.com> wrote:

> I've had this game since release nearly. I always struggle as the game
> progresses to keep up with the other nations.
>
> I always start off very strongly but can't seem to keep up.

I usually had this problem until i realized that was to focused on one
specific victory goal, which made me vulnerable in other aspects of the
game. For instance, i could go for a diplomatic victory which made me
forget my military defences, making me a veritable sitting duck.

I've learned that you need to oversee every aspect of your civ
(colonisation, military, trade, research, foreign affairs, etc...) to be
successful.

> What is the best kind of strategy to adopt for England?

I'd say utilize Englands specific advantages (can't remember what they
are), and if they don't fit your way of playing, try a different civ with
abilities that do.

advantages (how to capitalize in parentheses)

commercial:
- extra commerce in each city center (build more, smaller cities)
- decreased corruption (build overseas cities far from capital)

expansionist:
- better stuff from barbarian villages (explore, explore, put scouts in
ships if necessary)
- civ starts with scout (explore methodically, shadow foreign units, so
that you prevent them from reaching goodie huts first)

man-o-war, premiere battleship of its era.
- try to have your tech tree researched so that you get movement
bonuses
- be prepared to capitalize by going to war soon after you get
man-o-war. the advantage wll soon be lost.

advantages (how to capitalize in parentheses)

commercial:
- extra commerce in each city center (build more, smaller cities)
- decreased corruption (build overseas cities far from capital)

expansionist:
- better stuff from barbarian villages (explore, explore, put scouts in
ships if necessary)
- civ starts with scout (explore methodically, shadow foreign units, so
that you prevent them from reaching goodie huts first)

man-o-war, premiere battleship of its era.
- try to have your tech tree researched so that you get movement
bonuses
- be prepared to capitalize by going to war soon after you get
man-o-war. the advantage wll soon be lost.

Corrections:

Post early Vanilla patch. Commercial bonus is:
Pop 1 - 6 : NONE
Pop 7 - 12 : 2 extra commerce in city tile
Pop 13+ : 3 extra commerce in city tile

In Vanilla only, the decreased corruption is distance only. In
Conquests, there is also an OCN increase.

In Conquests, England is Commerical & Seafaring instead.

Seafaring :
Half price Harbors [not-cumulative with Military] and other sea
improvements.
Extra commerce for coastal cities. [Is cumulative with Commerical]
1 extra movement point for naval units.
Reduced chance of sinking.
Start with Alphabet, except with pared with Commerical it's Pottery.

And the Man-O-War is a much better ship in Conquests as well.
(All your ships will become Man-O-War!) [Technically 33% chance]

As far as triguring your GA as England, I sugest either the Colosus [if
you can get out of Despotism before building it]
Another excelent choice is Magellan's.
There's several other ancient and middle age wonder combos as well.

The important thing is to pick one of the them, the Man-O-War method is
often a last resort; it might be difficult to find an opposing naval
ship on some maps.