Iseekknowledge

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2001
I just built this system:
mobo:dragon+
cpu:AMD XP1600+
HHD: IBM 40GIG ATA 100
VIDEO:MSI G2 TI

It just seems slow for the cpu. I have unlocked the cpu but I have not oc bause of problems.sugestions?
I have set the bios to turbo mode,I also have the the problem that I cannot seem to get my agp card on a irq by it self.It keeps puting toghether w/ built in sound and built in lan card.
help help

All that money and no speed.

svol

Champion
Check if the DMA for your harddrive is enabled.
Disabling the COM/LPT ports (if you don't use them) can help freeing up soem IRQ's so the video card change from IRQ.
In most mobo's the AGP and PCI1 slot share IRQ.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
IRQ sharing is perfectly fine. It's called ACPI and almost all new mobo's do it. Don't worry about it, it's not causing your performance problems.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
It just seems slow for the cpu.
That's rather ambiguous. It seems slow how? Compaired to what?

When I had my athlon 750, I used to think it was slow at times, so I replaced it with a XP 1600+. I later began to use other computers, most were PIII 600s at best, and I realied that my old Athlon 750 was still pretty fast.

Trollin', Trollin', Trollin'
Get them posts a goin'
My fingers are swullen
Rawhide!

G

Well something that I just learned that "may" be the cause of you problem but its hard to tell without knowing how much memory you have. From everything I read winXP uses 80-100 M of ram just to sit in idle state. Thats without running any programs. If you only have about 128M of ram this could be your problem. Friend of mine had same issue with his laptop he only had 128M ram and once he put on another 128M ram he wasn't slugging along anymore. Not sure if this will help.

Breygan

pat

Expert
Dont expect to have exceptional performance from WinXP. each OS release is bigger and heavier to run. And even if you would have the fastest system, then you will find it slow after a while. to remember how fast it is, just play on an old P3 550 for a while...

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
And even if you would have the fastest system, then you will find it slow after a while
You know, I often wonder why this is. It seems they just keep getting slower and slower, even without additional software installs. Strange. My 1G KT7-RAID seems like a turtle now, compared to when I first built it. Boot time has at least doubled.

I'm not really looking for answers, just commenting. I'm going to rebuild it soon anyway.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

pat

Expert
the more programs you install, especially those who put an icon in the systray(because they are running in the background) will make the computer boot slowly and respond like a turtle.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

G

Go to www.tweak3d.com. They have some great some great how-tos on making your system running smoother and faster for any OS. Including tweaking graphics, sound even your mouse. Something to check out.

TRENDING THREADS