K7S5A Lockups while running 133/133

G

Ok a friend of mine and I have built 3 separate machines with this mainboard. All 3 have problems. 1 runs an athlon tbird 1.4ghz 266 fsb, constant lockups unless knocked down to 1050 mhz (100/133) running 400 watt power supply onboard sound and Lan, Ati Radeon VE 32 meg and 512 mb PC2100 DDR ram. The 2nd is running XP 1600+ with 400 watt power supply, Sound Blaster Live xg 5.1, Radeon VE 512 mb PC2100 DDR onboard lan, it experiences constant reboots everytime the video resolution changes unless it's ran in 100/133 mode. The 3rd is running 1.2 ghz athlon tbird 266 fsb 300 watt power supply, 2 128 pc133 sdram, sblive 5.1 xgamer, ATI Radeon 7500 64 DDR, onboard lan, all machines have tried 98 and XP and neither allow the machine to run in 133/133 mode, only when they are all kicked down to 100/133 will they run with stability, all chips stay between the 30-40 degree range, have tried single and dual chips in all, and tried disabling the assign irq to pci vga as posted on another board. All 3 have newest bios updates, has anyone else had these problems and has found solutions on how to run the board at 133/133???

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
I have read in a FAQ @ ocworkbench that this might be either a powersupply or overheating chipset problem. Since ECS is an OEM company, they do not take the care and time to put some thermal paste or adhesive between the SiS735 chipset and it's heatsink (at least not with their earlier boards, im not sure about their latest revisions). You might want to try that and see if it will help. Try setting it to 133/133, let it run for a while, and touch the heatsink on the chipset....if it's warm-hot, that's your problem.

See a real naked pic of Britney Spears <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/stick_e_mouse" target="_new">here</A>!!!
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Stick_E_Mouse on 12/28/01 03:41 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

I have tried 4 of these mobos and all had the same problem. If you go to ocworkbench.com and go here: http://forum.ocworkbench.com/ocwbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=003125 You will find a posting that explains why these mobos have this problem. It has to do with what they call the ZP issue (driver impendence)and CPUs over 1GHz. Basically alot of these boards have this issue when they are revision 4 or higher. You can tell the revision by the little sticker by the PCI slots. All my boards with the problem were with revision 4 boards. I have a revision 2 board also that is error free. But after having problems with 4 of these in a row I switched to a Shuttle AK31A mobo with was only about $15 more, easy to install, and problem free with more options in the BIOS for overclocking, etc.. Hope this helps.

Not to disagree with you (I've little experience in such things), but with my old system, I had a probe on my chipset heatsink and it monitored the temp at around 25C. Now that seems fine to me, but it was warm/hot and worked fine. Acually, it was such at 133MHz and I got away with oc'ing up to 145MHz and 30+C temps.

Just my tuppence worth. Trying to get a better idea of things.

Matpic: Have you tried a bare-bones start-up. Just the essentials. CPU, HSF, gfx, K/B & FDD.

<b><font color=blue>~scribble~</font color=blue></b> :wink: <A HREF="http://www.ud.com/home.htm" target="_new">Help cure cancer.</A>

G

Thanks for the help, I pulled the heat sink, had rubber cement holding it on. I cleaned it and put on some thermal paste and it took care of the problem, I appreciate it, my board was rev 3.1.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
rubber cement?????!?!?!?!!
wtf?
man...i need to pull that thing, and jbweld it, or get some arctic silver adhesive...
rubber cement?
that is pretty lazy of them!
oh yeah, i might put a different heatsink on it, but i am not sure...

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

TRENDING THREADS