Changing the Display Name

October 17, 2004 5:46:20 PM

I have just signed up for the Passport for Messenger but my display name is
my email address. How do I change this? I have tried Tools-Options but I
am not allowed into the field.

I am an administrator on my computer

Thanks

More about : changing display

Anonymous
October 17, 2004 6:56:02 PM

Greetings,

In order to change your display name, your Passport must be verified. Since you just signed
up, you may or may not have received your verification e-mail; when it arrives, simply click
the verification link within it to verify your Passport. After this, sign off and on
Messenger and you'll be able to change your name.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"Newbie" <nospam@noidea.com> wrote in message news:eOIfOdEtEHA.3320@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>I have just signed up for the Passport for Messenger but my display name is my email
>address. How do I change this? I have tried Tools-Options but I am not allowed into the
>field.
>
> I am an administrator on my computer
>
> Thanks

October 18, 2004 3:14:57 PM

Try Messenger>Tools>Options>Personal>My Display Name

"Newbie" <nospam@noidea.com> wrote in message
>I have just signed up for the Passport for Messenger but my display name is
>my email address. How do I change this? I have tried Tools-Options but I
>am not allowed into the field.
>
> I am an administrator on my computer
>
> Thanks

October 18, 2004 3:33:10 PM

See Jonathan Kay's previous response.
Being an administrator is irrelevant. Each user could have his own Passport
for messenger and configure it without being an administrator.
You need to verify your address with MSN.

"anomynous@discusions.discussions.com" <anomynous@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message news:u8QYBMPtEHA.2700@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Try Messenger>Tools>Options>Personal>My Display Name
>
> "Newbie" <nospam@noidea.com> wrote in message
>>I have just signed up for the Passport for Messenger but my display name
>>is my email address. How do I change this? I have tried Tools-Options
>>but I am not allowed into the field.
>>
>> I am an administrator on my computer
>>
>> Thanks

October 19, 2004 1:03:06 PM

Could someone suggest a solution to what I believe is really a minor problem?

I have just changed my .NET passport registration details, since I had been
using an old business email address, from where I have since left, so I have
now changed it to a different email address. However, Windows Messenger still
displays the old email address, and if I click on it, I get an error (sign-in
to .NET messenger failed ...).

I can sign in ok by using the second option i.e. To sign in with a different
account ..., but I would like to remove the original default.

Any ideas? (I have tried to edit my profile while logged on, but the
suggestion is that I use an Add-in - however, when I go to the relevant
download page, it suggests installing MSN Messenger - I'm trying to avoid
this, but have I any alternatives?)

Thanks
Colin
"Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> In order to change your display name, your Passport must be verified. Since you just signed
> up, you may or may not have received your verification e-mail; when it arrives, simply click
> the verification link within it to verify your Passport. After this, sign off and on
> Messenger and you'll be able to change your name.
> Jonathan Kay
> Associate Expert
>
> "Newbie" <nospam@noidea.com> wrote in message news:eOIfOdEtEHA.3320@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> >I have just signed up for the Passport for Messenger but my display name is my email
> >address. How do I change this? I have tried Tools-Options but I am not allowed into the
> >field.
> >
> > I am an administrator on my computer
> >
> > Thanks

October 19, 2004 1:05:24 PM

This is my second attempt to post this, as the first crashed out on posting.

I have a minor problem where my old email address comes up when I run
Windows Messenger (even though I have changed it in my .NET passport profile,
and can log in successfully if I use the alternative sign in link)- how can i
change this?

Thanks

Colin

"Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> In order to change your display name, your Passport must be verified. Since you just signed
> up, you may or may not have received your verification e-mail; when it arrives, simply click
> the verification link within it to verify your Passport. After this, sign off and on
> Messenger and you'll be able to change your name.
> Jonathan Kay
> Associate Expert
>
> "Newbie" <nospam@noidea.com> wrote in message news:eOIfOdEtEHA.3320@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> >I have just signed up for the Passport for Messenger but my display name is my email
> >address. How do I change this? I have tried Tools-Options but I am not allowed into the
> >field.
> >
> > I am an administrator on my computer
> >
> > Thanks

October 19, 2004 1:07:02 PM

This is my third attempt to post this, as the first two attempts crashed out

"Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> In order to change your display name, your Passport must be verified. Since you just signed
> up, you may or may not have received your verification e-mail; when it arrives, simply click
> the verification link within it to verify your Passport. After this, sign off and on
> Messenger and you'll be able to change your name.
> Jonathan Kay
> Associate Expert
>
> "Newbie" <nospam@noidea.com> wrote in message news:eOIfOdEtEHA.3320@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> >I have just signed up for the Passport for Messenger but my display name is my email
> >address. How do I change this? I have tried Tools-Options but I am not allowed into the
> >field.
> >
> > I am an administrator on my computer
> >
> > Thanks

October 19, 2004 6:12:14 PM

Hi Colin,

You'll just need to change your default Passport within Windows XP. To do so, click Start,
then Control Panel, then User Accounts, click the current Windows XP account that you're
logged in under, then click "Change my .NET Passport", choose the "Use a Different Passport"
button and then go through the wizard to set up the correct Passport e-mail.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"Colin F" <ColinF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This is my third attempt to post this, as the first two attempts crashed out
> on posting.
>
> I have a minor problem where my old email address comes up when I run
> Windows Messenger (even though I have changed it in my .NET passport profile,
> and can log in successfully if I use the alternative sign in link)- how can i
> change this?
>
> Thanks
>
> Colin
>
> "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> In order to change your display name, your Passport must be verified. Since you just
>> signed
>> up, you may or may not have received your verification e-mail; when it arrives, simply
>> click
>> the verification link within it to verify your Passport. After this, sign off and on
>> Messenger and you'll be able to change your name.
>> Jonathan Kay
>> Associate Expert
>>
>> "Newbie" <nospam@noidea.com> wrote in message
>> >I have just signed up for the Passport for Messenger but my display name is my email
>> >address. How do I change this? I have tried Tools-Options but I am not allowed into the
>> >field.
>> >
>> > I am an administrator on my computer
>> >
>> > Thanks

October 21, 2004 6:25:02 AM

Thanks for the fix, Jonathan, it seemed to work well.

One last little thing - I (call me user A) was setting up another user (call
them User B) to use Windows Messenger on my home PC, and decided to add
myself to their contact list. Everything seemed to work fine, but whenever I
logged on as User B to test it, I got a message saying that User A had added
User B to their contact list.

So far, so good - but strangely enough the title used the old email address
which had been fixed (apparently) by your earlier suggestion. I know it's a
small point, but my gut reaction is that there is still a remnant of this old
email address somewhere, which I can't see. It's not a big problem, but does
this seem right? Likewise, I assume that anyone who I add to my contact list
would get a similar message i.e. quoting an out of date email address.

(I did try a number of ways of reviewing my profile, but they mostly require
me to upgrade to MSN Messenger, which I'm trying to avoid for the moment,
although I may have to eventually.)

Colin