Sign in with
Your question

ECS K7S5A PROBLEM

Last response: in Motherboards
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 30, 2001 5:50:26 AM

I just got an AMD 1.4 Ghz XP 1600 cpu chip, ECS K7S5A motherboard, 512 mb sd ram p133, 64 meg ge force mx 200 card, windows 98 s.e...

my computer will not stop crashing...I just bought all the parts, put them together and I can't even play a game without the computer crashing.....i've heard it can be a faulty motherboard or ram, maybe cpu or fan/heatsink, what could it be? somebody help!!!!

More about : ecs k7s5a problem

December 30, 2001 8:19:17 AM

First check your if your temps aren't to high and if your memory timings aren't to fast.
Be sure you've got all the latest drivers and the latest BIOS. and check if your powersupply is atleast 300 W.
Have you got any other components (PCI-cards), check if you don't have any resource (ie. IRQ) problems.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek:  .
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 30, 2001 9:34:20 AM

Hey bud, yeah well I checked my temps and stuff and it seems more than fine. I don't know how to check my memory timing. How do I do that? It's no IRC problem. I do have a 300w power supply so it can't be that. What else?
Related resources
December 30, 2001 9:40:51 AM

In the BIOS check if your CAS latency is set to 2.5.
ECS motherboards are known to be bad quality and have a high DOA rate, so it also could be your board, but that's not 100% sure by now.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek:  .
a b V Motherboard
December 30, 2001 11:53:26 PM

Most likely your power supply. You choice of the worst video card leads me to suspect a similar bad selection in power supplies. Expect your games to run about half the speed of an MX400 32MB card, or about 1/4 slower than with a TNT2! But anyway, check your voltage levels, they probably drop as soon as you load a 3D app.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
a c 435 V Motherboard
December 31, 2001 10:04:22 AM

Did you do a fresh install (format) of win98se? That would certainly help.
December 31, 2001 1:42:16 PM

64 meg mx200? Do they actually make these?

It's not what they tell you, its what they don't tell you!
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 31, 2001 1:50:36 PM

Yes I did. I think it has to do with the power supply being generic...the store I got most of the parts off is taking a look at it as we speak, I have to call back in an hour.
a b V Motherboard
December 31, 2001 5:53:05 PM

Probably, because people who don't know video cards simply look at the amount of ram instead of the design of the card when making purchasing decisions.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
January 2, 2002 2:30:06 AM

Did you install the AGP, IDE, and Chipset drivers?

__
<font color=blue>My hammer has a bigger Hammer than your hammer.</font color=blue>
January 2, 2002 2:44:07 AM

if you look at <A HREF="http://www.ecsusa.com" target="_new">ECS</A>, there arent any chipset drivers...i think that they are all together...
maybe i am wrong, and my system is running like garbage, and i dont know, but i just installed the drivers from that site, and my computer is running fine.
so once you install the drivers from this site, you should be fine.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 5, 2002 6:59:32 PM

Here's a relevant item from another post, which may be your problem. It's an impedance problem with the motherboard, affecting revisions from 4 on up...

Here's the link: Edit: Sorry, but the link doesn't work anymore. They've rearranged their boards and I can't find it again. :( <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Goofus_Maximus on 01/07/02 12:45 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
!