Wireless connection won't pickup ip at boot up

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi,
I am running a laptop with Windows XP Home and an AT&T Wireless
Router. The adaptor card is a Broadcomm.

The problem I am having if I exit out of Windows with the Wireless
connection enabled and then reboot the Laptop, I don't pickup an I.p
address from the At&T router. I get the default ip address from XP.

If I disable the wireless connection and then enable it , I usually
pickup the ip address (192.xxx.xx) and I could then hook up to the
internet.

If I disable the connection and then exit windows, I could then reboot
and when it is finished rebooting I can enable the wireless card and I
usually connect on the first shot.

I have the newest drivers on the Broadcomm card and the router's
firmware has been updated.

Also, I go over my brother's house and he is running a Linksys
wireless router and I don't have any problems. I connect each time
regardless if I boot up with an enabled connection or disabled.

Any suggestions?

Dan

On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 19:03:52 GMT, dan@hotmail.com wrote:

>Hi,
>I am running a laptop with Windows XP Home and an AT&T Wireless
>Router. The adaptor card is a Broadcomm.
>
>The problem I am having if I exit out of Windows with the Wireless
>connection enabled and then reboot the Laptop, I don't pickup an I.p
>address from the At&T router. I get the default ip address from XP.
>
>If I disable the wireless connection and then enable it , I usually
>pickup the ip address (192.xxx.xx) and I could then hook up to the
>internet.
>
>If I disable the connection and then exit windows, I could then reboot
>and when it is finished rebooting I can enable the wireless card and I
>usually connect on the first shot.
>
>I have the newest drivers on the Broadcomm card and the router's
>firmware has been updated.
>
>Also, I go over my brother's house and he is running a Linksys
>wireless router and I don't have any problems. I connect each time
>regardless if I boot up with an enabled connection or disabled.
>
>Any suggestions?

1. Turn off the Windoze firewall protection. If that turns into a
problem, get the free version of ZoneAlarm instead.

2. Remove the "network bridge" from the Control Panel -> Network
window. Unless you have a USB network, you don't need it.

3. Disable "802.1x authentication". That tend to mess up reconnects
and might have an effect on initial connects.

4. Try a fixed IP address, gateway, and DNS servers. It's not a
great idea to leave it that way if your laptop is going to be used at
hot spots but it will check if there is something else going on.

# jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us