ecs k7s5a trouble w/games

G

I just upgraded to an ecs k7s5a with an Althon 1.2ghz and 2 Crucial 128mb DDR DIMMs. I moved my nvidia tnt2 agp card from my old pii 350. System is working ok, but won't run hardly any games. I installed drivers that came with the ecs, drivers that came with the video card, and directx 8.1. A handful of opengl programs seem to run ok, but games just lock up the system in their opening screen. Video card worked ok and ran games in the pii 350. I've tried many things with no success. PLEASE HELP! Thanks. Jim

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Go to <A HREF="http://www.sis.com/support/driver/utility.htm" target="_new">http://www.sis.com/support/driver/utility.htm</A> and download the SiS chipset AGP driver. When I first got this mobo, I didn't install this. 3DMark2001 got 500 marks with GeForce 256, after I installed it went up to 2500 or so. That should fix the problem.

"Trying is the first step towards failure."

G

Thank you very much for the suggestion, but this did not solve the problem. Some other info: I have a pci scsi controller with cd and cdrw attached, a 7200rpm drive with ultra ata100, and an ide internal zip. I've tried 5 or 6 games, MS Train Simulator, Test drive 6, Road Rash, Hard Truck, to name a few, so it's not just one game. Other ideas, anyone? Thanks in advance.

G

Power supply? It's a 300W, came in a cheap case deal though. However, excuse a programmer for using logic, but, when I burn a cd from another cd, it's using both of those drives and doesn't seem to have a problem. Could this really be the problem with running a game? Thanks.

lajemat

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2001
I've got that kind of problem yesterday with approximately the same hardware and it was my USB mouse and my video card that was using the same IRQ. I just take off my mouse of the USB and it solves the problem. Maybe you should verify if some hardware in your computer and your video card as the same IRQ (even if Windows says that there is no conflict). For me it solves the problem. I hope it would be helpful for you.

I'll be back...:)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
12v, 5v, and 3.3v all use different taps (as do the rest). As such, it's possible that the 3.3v can be exceeded in a game even though there is enough 12v when not playing a game to run two CD devices.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
I wil tell you know that more than likely, it is your PS, this MB likes to have a lot of power and many other individuals have run into the exact same problem that you are experiencing now, I would suggest that you get an Antec, Sparkle or other name brand P/S, and make sure that it is at least 350 Watts. By the way, with your sound card, Video card, motherboard and CDROM drive going at the same time (When playing games) it will take up a lot more voltage out of the system than if you are just burning a CD, which takes very little processor power to do, and doesnot even use the Video or soundcard enough to make a big difference.

If it works for you then don't fix it.

G

Thank you all for your help. I found a new web site for my video card, (web site referenced in manual didn't exist) downloaded a new driver, and it seems to have fixed the problem. Thanks again.