Sign in with
Your question

Need advice on Mobo Upgrade

Last response: in Motherboards
December 31, 2001 8:03:42 AM

My System:
Athlon 1 Ghz 266 FSB (Currently running at 750 Mhz 'cause my system bus can only go to 100 Mhz),
512 Mb PC 133 Ram,
Maxtor 40 Gb 7200 rpm Ata 100 HD (currently set to ata 66 'cause my mobo does not support 100),
SB live 5.1 sound,
Gf2 TI 64 DDR graphics card,
300 watt power supply
Mobo is a Gigabyte V7zm knockoff (called a Calgary KT 133 by Seanix computers) with a Via chipset

I don't want to spend too much money as I'm in the Canadian Navy and I'll be leaving on extended deployment (6-8 months) in the Gulf soon.

Is it worth it to replace the mobo with one that will allow me to keep the same ram but that would run my hard drive at ata 100 and allow me to acually set the system bus to 133 Mhz so that my processor runs at 1 Ghz? Will I see any difference or should I wait t'ill I get back and build a whole new system?
TX again for the advice guys!

More about : advice mobo upgrade

a c 435 V Motherboard
December 31, 2001 9:54:29 AM

You could try the ecs K7S5a. Should be able to find one for $100 or less canadian. It works with either sdram or ddram. It has ata 100 support; You may have to set the fsb at 133 when you first boot up. It uses the sis 735 chipset, so you should have no problems with your soundblaster card. You should format your hardrive and do a fresh install of windows.
December 31, 2001 2:52:53 PM

How much performance will I see though? Is it worth the cost/time to upgrade?
Related resources
December 31, 2001 3:00:07 PM

Yes!

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
December 31, 2001 4:08:55 PM

may i suggest the gigayte 7dxr+ .. has usb 2.0 too by the way. I guess there is another verison of the kt266a chipset i forget what the board is. I can look it up if ya want.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>
December 31, 2001 4:49:03 PM

That's Ok but thanks for the offer. I think I will wait until I get back from the Gulf In Sept-Oct and then I'll upgrade the whole system. If I upgrade now I'll only have a few weeks to enjoy it. My system is not too bad as it stands. I was just wondering if I'd get alot more performance out of it?
December 31, 2001 4:49:04 PM

That's Ok but thanks for the offer. I think I will wait until I get back from the Gulf In Sept-Oct and then I'll upgrade the whole system. If I upgrade now I'll only have a few weeks to enjoy it. My system is not too bad as it stands. I was just wondering if I'd get alot more performance out of it?
December 31, 2001 10:17:31 PM

If your running at 100 and go to 133 fsb. You wont see a great deal of improvement. You would mainly notice it in operations that require a lot of memory.
For instance, if you have 3 mpegs running, and some anti-virus going in the background.. then you'd see the difference. Running several memory intensive programs at once is where DDR and the 266 fsb makes a difference.
I have the Fic AD11 with 256mb ram set at 266fsb on the mobo. I have been downloading 5 files off morpheus and playing counter-strike at the same time...no hangs, no slow-down ( the chip is a 1.2 gig AMD).
SO unless you like to run a lot of things at once, dont worry about it. here is a summary ( my opinions) of where performance shows:

faster boot-up .......need faster chip or 7,200+ Hard drive

multiple applications at once... DDR/Rambus + 266fsb

Compiling..... dual cpu's or faster chip in general

video editing... NEED a 10K harddrive , video editing card and a FAST chip (those waits for Premeire to compile get old)

burning CD's... just get the fastest burner possible, DDR can help too.
January 4, 2002 4:01:09 AM

i think the esc k7s5a is a good board and i can get it 4 u 4 less them a 100.00
!