Messenger or NetMeeting?

I have WinXP home

Is there a difference between Netmeeteing and MSN Messenger?
If yes, what?

--

Cheers _ Hunibal _

Greetings,

Well Messenger is an instant messaging application and Netmeeting is a desktop conferencing
software product.

Briefly, Messenger's foremost functionality is text-based chat, then voice, and then video.
Netmeeting's foremost functionality is voice, then video, then text-based chat. MSN
Messenger requires a connection to the .NET Messenger network and will not work without it.
Netmeeting can utilize an ILS Directory server but otherwise can simply connect to other
users using their IP address..

If you just give both a go, I'm sure more of the differences will be pretty evident.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"Hunibal" <hunibal_@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have WinXP home
>
> Is there a difference between Netmeeteing and MSN Messenger?
> If yes, what?
>
> --
>

> Cheers _ Hunibal _

Question:
Can one talk to the other?

--

Cheers _ Hunibal _
> Greetings,
>
> Well Messenger is an instant messaging application and Netmeeting is a
> desktop conferencing software product.
>
> Briefly, Messenger's foremost functionality is text-based chat, then
> voice, and then video. Netmeeting's foremost functionality is voice, then
> video, then text-based chat. MSN Messenger requires a connection to the
> .NET Messenger network and will not work without it. Netmeeting can
> utilize an ILS Directory server but otherwise can simply connect to other
> users using their IP address..
>
> If you just give both a go, I'm sure more of the differences will be
> pretty evident.
> Jonathan Kay
> Associate Expert
>
> "Hunibal" <hunibal_@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I have WinXP home
>>
>> Is there a difference between Netmeeteing and MSN Messenger?
>> If yes, what?
>>
>> --
>>

>> Cheers _ Hunibal _

MSN MEssenger is a chat program based on your .NET Passport mainly aimed for
personal use.

NetMeeting is a chat program based upon IP largely aimed at corporate users
for holding online meetings
"Hunibal" <hunibal_@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have WinXP home
>
> Is there a difference between Netmeeteing and MSN Messenger?
> If yes, what?
>
> --
>

> Cheers _ Hunibal _

Hi,

I'm afraid not, they use completely different technologies. Netmeeting is the classic H.323
standard whereas Messenger has its own.

> Question:
> Can one talk to the other?
>
> --
>

> Cheers _ Hunibal _
> "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> wrote in message
>> Greetings,
>>
>> Well Messenger is an instant messaging application and Netmeeting is a desktop
>> conferencing software product.
>>
>> Briefly, Messenger's foremost functionality is text-based chat, then voice, and then
>> video. Netmeeting's foremost functionality is voice, then video, then text-based chat.
>> MSN Messenger requires a connection to the .NET Messenger network and will not work
>> without it. Netmeeting can utilize an ILS Directory server but otherwise can simply
>> connect to other users using their IP address..
>>
>> If you just give both a go, I'm sure more of the differences will be pretty evident.
>> Jonathan Kay
>> Associate Expert
>>
>> "Hunibal" <hunibal_@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>I have WinXP home
>>>
>>> Is there a difference between Netmeeteing and MSN Messenger?
>>> If yes, what?
>>>
>>> --
>>>

>>> Cheers _ Hunibal _

So much for compatibility. <UGH>

--

Cheers _ Hunibal _
> Hi,
>
> I'm afraid not, they use completely different technologies. Netmeeting is
> the classic H.323 standard whereas Messenger has its own.
> Jonathan Kay
> Associate Expert
>
> "Hunibal" <hunibal_@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Question:
>> Can one talk to the other?
>>
>> --
>>

>> Cheers _ Hunibal _
>> "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> wrote in message
>>> Greetings,
>>>
>>> Well Messenger is an instant messaging application and Netmeeting is a
>>> desktop conferencing software product.
>>>
>>> Briefly, Messenger's foremost functionality is text-based chat, then
>>> voice, and then video. Netmeeting's foremost functionality is voice,
>>> then video, then text-based chat. MSN Messenger requires a connection to
>>> the .NET Messenger network and will not work without it. Netmeeting can
>>> utilize an ILS Directory server but otherwise can simply connect to
>>> other users using their IP address..
>>>
>>> If you just give both a go, I'm sure more of the differences will be
>>> pretty evident.
>>> Jonathan Kay
>>> Microsoft MVP - Windows Messenger/MSN Messenger
>>> Associate Expert
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
>>> Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com
>>> All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2004 Jonathan Kay.
>>> You *must* contact me for redistribution rights.
>>>
>>> "Hunibal" <hunibal_@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Hi Hunibal,

Well they're completely different applications and really have nothing to do with one another
(with the exception that the Whiteboard/App Sharing components were ripped from Netmeeting).