Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Changing Leaders' Names - editing stuff like that.

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 11:18:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

How do I change the names of a leader?
And is there a file of names of cities that I can edit (like as in Civ II)?

TIA.
------------------------------------------------------------

This post did not necessarily reflect my opinions. So there.
Pull the pins out to reply direct.
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 12:26:57 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

"Fat Bloke" <fatblokeonbikepins@pinsjohnstone-wheelers.co.uk> wrote in
message news:b7d5v0ptgf5uo9gmaka7tqfd96i2a9q17f@4ax.com...
> How do I change the names of a leader?
> And is there a file of names of cities that I can edit (like as in Civ
II)?
>

You can use the editor to make those changes....
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 2:29:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

>"Fat Bloke" <fatblokeonbikepins@pinsjohnstone-wheelers.co.uk> wrote in
>message news:b7d5v0ptgf5uo9gmaka7tqfd96i2a9q17f@4ax.com...
>> How do I change the names of a leader?
>> And is there a file of names of cities that I can edit (like as in Civ
>II)?
>>
>
>You can use the editor to make those changes....
>
Ahhhh - thanx. I tried it again - after the initial failure which prompted
my first post - this time managing to open the default civ3mod.bic file.
If I change the "Civilopeadia Entry" field to RACE_my-choice-of-name, I
assume I then have to alter the files in the Text sub-directory....???
Anyway, done it - now off to see to what degree I've screwed things up.

Thanx for your help.

Yoooors,

Iain.
------------------------------------------------------------

This post did not necessarily reflect my opinions. So there.
Pull the pins out to reply direct.
Related resources
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 9:50:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

"Fat Bloke" <fatblokeonbikepins@pinsjohnstone-wheelers.co.uk> wrote in
message news:gp17v0hu5i97625973731bio8768aasc5i@4ax.com...
> >"Fat Bloke" <fatblokeonbikepins@pinsjohnstone-wheelers.co.uk> wrote in
> >message news:b7d5v0ptgf5uo9gmaka7tqfd96i2a9q17f@4ax.com...
> >> How do I change the names of a leader?
> >> And is there a file of names of cities that I can edit (like as in
Civ
> >II)?
> >>
> >
> >You can use the editor to make those changes....
> >
> Ahhhh - thanx. I tried it again - after the initial failure which
prompted
> my first post - this time managing to open the default civ3mod.bic file.
> If I change the "Civilopeadia Entry" field to RACE_my-choice-of-name, I
> assume I then have to alter the files in the Text sub-directory....???
> Anyway, done it - now off to see to what degree I've screwed things up.
>

If you do it that way, you'll have to make a bunch of changes in the text
files.
Here's the easy way:
Open the editor.
Edit the rules.
Civilization tab.
Rename Civ. (button next to civ pull down menu. I do have a hacked version
and don't recall if the rename button was in the original. I saved it
somewhere...)
Change noun and adjective accordingly.
You can then leave the civilopedia entry call alone. Unless you really want
to make all those text changes.
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 12:29:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

>> Ahhhh - thanx. I tried it again - after the initial failure which
>prompted
>> my first post - this time managing to open the default civ3mod.bic file.
>> If I change the "Civilopeadia Entry" field to RACE_my-choice-of-name, I
>> assume I then have to alter the files in the Text sub-directory....???
>> Anyway, done it - now off to see to what degree I've screwed things up.
>>
>
>If you do it that way, you'll have to make a bunch of changes in the text
>files.
>Here's the easy way:
>Open the editor.
>Edit the rules.
>Civilization tab.
>Rename Civ. (button next to civ pull down menu. I do have a hacked version
>and don't recall if the rename button was in the original. I saved it
>somewhere...)
>Change noun and adjective accordingly.
>You can then leave the civilopedia entry call alone. Unless you really want
>to make all those text changes.
>
We're changing all the English to British.
(We're Scots, y'see, so in that area, nothing, abso-bally-lutely nothing, is
too much trouble to set that right...!!!)
------------------------------------------------------------

This post did not necessarily reflect my opinions. So there.
Pull the pins out to reply direct.
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 1:03:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

Well England did come up with a unique way of taking over Scotland when
military had failed.

Have an English princess go marry a Scotish prince thats heir to the
Scotish throne, wait for them to have a kid that in turn becomes King
of Scotland, and then upon the death of the English king, invite the
Scotish King to come down to London and become King of England.

China's way of aquiring inner mongolia was also unique. Allow a
Mongolian invader to conquer China and relocate.
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 4:11:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

[snip]
>> If I change the "Civilopeadia Entry" field to RACE_my-choice-of-name, I
>> assume I then have to alter the files in the Text sub-directory....???
>> Anyway, done it - now off to see to what degree I've screwed things up.
>>
>
>If you do it that way, you'll have to make a bunch of changes in the text
>files.
[snip]
>You can then leave the civilopedia entry call alone. Unless you really want
>to make all those text changes.
>
It's the minor Significant Other in this house - he's suddenly discovered
he's Scots (he always knew it, but he's just *discovered* it, if you
understand) and nothing will do but every mention of "English" must be
excised. I've managed to persuade him that Elizabeth's images are
*reelly-reelly* those of Mary Stuart, so at least I'm not destined to spend
time in Photoshop.

Thanx again.
------------------------------------------------------------

This post did not necessarily reflect my opinions. So there.
Pull the pins out to reply direct.
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 10:31:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

<joncnunn@yahoo.com> wrote in message
1106676221.146408.16990@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Well England did come up with a unique way of taking over Scotland when
> military had failed.
>
> Have an English princess go marry a Scotish prince thats heir to the
> Scotish throne, wait for them to have a kid that in turn becomes King
> of Scotland, and then upon the death of the English king, invite the
> Scotish King to come down to London and become King of England.
>
> China's way of aquiring inner mongolia was also unique. Allow a
> Mongolian invader to conquer China and relocate.

Good to be reminded. Not so very very unique, in fact. Think of the Greeks,
that conquered most of the world they knew after being conquered by the
Macedonians... and then a few centuries later were conquered by the Romans,
took over them by culture ("Graecia capta ferum victorem caepit") and ended
by dominating most of the richest and more advanced part of the world under
the name of Eastern Roman Empire, from Byzantium...

As usual, reality shows much more imagination than us mere gamers...

Alfredo
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 5:15:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

>> Well England did come up with a unique way of taking over Scotland when
>> military had failed.
>>
>> Have an English princess go marry a Scotish prince thats heir to the
>> Scotish throne, wait for them to have a kid that in turn becomes King
>> of Scotland, and then upon the death of the English king, invite the
>> Scotish King to come down to London and become King of England.
>>
>> China's way of aquiring inner mongolia was also unique. Allow a
>> Mongolian invader to conquer China and relocate.
>
>Good to be reminded. Not so very very unique, in fact. Think of the Greeks,
>that conquered most of the world they knew after being conquered by the
>Macedonians... and then a few centuries later were conquered by the Romans,
>took over them by culture ("Graecia capta ferum victorem caepit") and ended
>by dominating most of the richest and more advanced part of the world under
>the name of Eastern Roman Empire, from Byzantium...
>
>As usual, reality shows much more imagination than us mere gamers...
>
>Alfredo
>
And, of course, it was really the British who won the War of American
(so-called) Independence.
Lets' face it, most of the settlers were of British stock, who were facing a
bunch of Hanoverians. Can't have johnny-foreigner winning, eh? What? What?
------------------------------------------------------------

This post did not necessarily reflect my opinions. So there.
Pull the pins out to reply direct.
!