Abit KR7A-RAID dead? Or CPU??

G

Hi,

I just recently build my computer and have been up and running for about a week.
Today i powered it up and discovered it no longer boots up!?

My specs are as follows :

board : abit kr7a raid
processor : amd athlon xp 1900+
heatsink : alpha8045 + delta fan
motherboard : abit kr7a raid
memory : 2x 512mb crucial ddr2100
video : orchid kelvin64 pci card
boot drive : western digital 7200rpm 100G
cd drive : plextor 24/10/40
dvd drive : Pioneer 106s
case : chieftec dragon fulltower
power supply : enermax 430watt silent
operating system : windows 2000 pro

Power does seem to be getting to the board as the D14 (yellow standby) led is on.
The symptons are that it powers up and fans are on....but no video signal, no beeps and
all leds D14, D16, D17 are on constantly!?
I am sure that i dont have the problem of ram/cpu not seated properly....It worked the night
before and i havent touched the hardware ever since!! and when powering it up today...nuthing :(

So far i have tried the following :
1) Reseting the cmos via jumper and also taking the battery out...But same again,
fans are on, no video, no beeps and all leds are on?
2) Tried taking everything out apart from board, cpu, 1 memory stick and video card.
Again, same results....fans are on, no video, no beeps and all leds on?
3) Tried (2) again but varied the memory slots and same same no joy.
4) Board and cpu only....still no joy as same results.
5) Board itself and surprise surprise same results.
6) Managed to get hold of another cpu (duron 800) and exact same results :(

Am i right to say that i should atleast get some beep signals (yes the wiring for the speakers
and all are wired up properly) I figured if i had no memory or cpu...it would beep? Plus
another thing is that the D17 (red reset) is on constantly on power up.
Does this suggest that the board is dead? Or is it a problem with the cpu (fried)? Or what??

I did have a good look at the cpu and it dont look fried....looks the same when i first received it.
I'm assuming that if it was fried it would be obvious by looking at the core. In the past
week i have monitored the temp (cpu 40-50c and system 27-33c)
Based on this am i right to assume that its unlikely that the cpu has been damaged?

Anyways, any suggestions and advice on this would be greatly appreciated
before i RMA!

Cheers,
HY

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
With out trying to pin point it.
Assuming the hardware and wires are hook up right and the mobo isn't shorted out. It should work. I'd try starting it like 5 times in a row, but shutting it all the way down and trying to get into the BIOS as soon as your turn it on. Try clearing the CMOS a couple more times.
If you already tried with less hardware what els could it be? I'd check the HDD, video, ram, then only one thing left the mobo.

defrage is child's play-fdisk

G

Yes your rite to assume that all is wired correctly....And like you say i have tried clearing the cmos quite a few times....even taken the battery out for a couple of mins to be sure. Again i've tried the same but with less hardware.
One thing i want to verify....If i have only cpu installed and no ram or video. Would people agree that it should produce a beep signal? Problem is am i not even getting this!? Which i therefore assume that there is a problem with the mobo. correct?

Another thing that i forgot to mention....When i power up and nothing happens it would not power down when i press the power switch....i have to hold the power switch down to force the power down. Once it does power down.....the leds D17 (red reset) and D16 (green power on) are still partially on (partially not full on). I would have expected these 2 leds to be off completely. D14 (yellow standby) is still on as expected.
The intresting part is.....if i try and power it back on again it wont work! I have to switch the psu off and back on again to reinitialise things again.

So what do you reckon??

CoOLMaNX

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
my goodness that's one hell of a machine! i envy you but your problem does seem to be your motherboard since you said you've done all of the other things and i do believe that if you just have your cpu/board on it should beep. but also try a different vid card, it might be that who knows? just my opinion, happy new year!

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Yes you should have some beeps, yes your computer should be working but it's not. In my 3 years of playing with computers I've had 4 Asus and 3 Abit mobo. and they always booted, or I should say I was always able to get them to boot. And when I smoke a few I had no power at all.
Out side of that, after you done all that you could, send the mobo back or have it tested. Maybe others will step forward and confirm it's your mobo or have help for you. But I can't say it is 100%

defrage is child's play-fdisk

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
Well I was just recently having problems putting together a system with an MSI KT4 system, and I've learnt of a million new ways to test out your system before RMAing it. First, try a different video card. The problem you were saying about having to press the power button for a few seconds before getting it to power down is an option you can change in the BIOS, its meant to allow you to simply press the button for the system to go on standby, and then to press it and hold for it to power-down. Otherwise, try assembling the system out of the case, it sounds a little like a grouding issue, but with a Cheiftec case it would surprise me... but still, worth a try. Otherwise, its NOT your CPU, I can say that for sure. If you've tried different RAM, then that's ruled-out too. I would suggest trying a different Power Supplly, because that might be the problem... And I can't stress this enough, because no matter how many times you've checked your wiring, it never hurts to check again. Good luck.