Connectivity problems with wi-fi router

Hi,

I cannot get a steady connection to MSN Messenger. My
contacts see me logging off and in intermittently, some
time many time an hour, all day long.

I'm using the latest version of MSN Messenger and Windows
XP SP2, and connecting to the internet via a D-Link 525
wireless router. WEP is enabled. Firewall is ON, both on
the router and on the XP machine.

How do I fix this?
3 answers Last reply
More about connectivity problems router

    I've found that D-Link's with WEP enabled suffer from serious connectivity
    problems... Try disabling WEP and see if this resolves the issue. Let me
    know how it turns out.

    Sincerely,
    Michael Katz [MVP - MSN Client]
    --

    "Michael Katz [MVP]" wrote:

    > I've found that D-Link's with WEP enabled suffer from serious connectivity
    > problems... Try disabling WEP and see if this resolves the issue. Let me
    > know how it turns out.
    >
    > Sincerely,
    > Michael Katz [MVP - MSN Client]
    > --
    >

    > "Yann" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I cannot get a steady connection to MSN Messenger. My
    > > contacts see me logging off and in intermittently, some
    > > time many time an hour, all day long.
    > >
    > > I'm using the latest version of MSN Messenger and Windows
    > > XP SP2, and connecting to the internet via a D-Link 525
    > > wireless router. WEP is enabled. Firewall is ON, both on
    > > the router and on the XP machine.
    > >
    > > How do I fix this?

    The problem continues with WEP disabled and with my wireless interface power
    management set to maximum. I have also tried it with my Mac and MSN messenger
    also disconnects randomly for no apparent reason. Signal strength is very
    good with both computers. I have no other connectivity problems with other
    applications, such as streaming windows media video. The disconnects happen
    even when there is almost no bandwith being used, so it's not a case of
    messenger giving more bandwith to other apps, as sometimes happens.

    Any other ideas? Any wi-fi diagnostic tool to suggest maybe?

    "Michael Katz [MVP]" wrote:

    > I've found that D-Link's with WEP enabled suffer from serious connectivity
    > problems... Try disabling WEP and see if this resolves the issue. Let me
    > know how it turns out.
    >
    > Sincerely,
    > Michael Katz [MVP - MSN Client]
    > --
    >

    > "Yann" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I cannot get a steady connection to MSN Messenger. My
    > > contacts see me logging off and in intermittently, some
    > > time many time an hour, all day long.
    > >
    > > I'm using the latest version of MSN Messenger and Windows
    > > XP SP2, and connecting to the internet via a D-Link 525
    > > wireless router. WEP is enabled. Firewall is ON, both on
    > > the router and on the XP machine.
    > >
    > > How do I fix this?

MSN Messenger Windows XP