Non-Dell hard drives (ie cheaper?) for inspiron 1150?

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Hi, i am looking to get a larger (80-100gb?) or faster (7200rpm) drive
for my 1150 but when i looked on the dell site i almost had a cardiac
arrest! those things are insanely expensive, so, i was wondering if
other brands of hard drives can be used and what i need to look for to
make sure it works in this notebook (I assume its not as easy as
swapping drives in a desktop [I'm somewhat of a notebook newbie]). Any
help/advise would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

-Gaiko

gaikokujinkyofusho@gmail.com wrote:

> Hi, i am looking to get a larger (80-100gb?) or faster (7200rpm) drive
> for my 1150 but when i looked on the dell site i almost had a cardiac
> arrest! those things are insanely expensive, so, i was wondering if
> other brands of hard drives can be used and what i need to look for to
> make sure it works in this notebook (I assume its not as easy as
> swapping drives in a desktop [I'm somewhat of a notebook newbie]). Any
> help/advise would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Cheers
>
> -Gaiko

Any 2.5" drive should be just fine. It's really not all that much
different than a desktop. If you buy direct from Dell, they'll send it
to you already mounted and ready to put into the laptop.

If you buy it elsewhere, you'll save quite a bit of money, but you'll
need to mount the drive yourself. If you're handy with a screwdriver it
shouldn't take more than 5 minute.

Bob

reply to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell only (where it was read)...

2.5" notebook hard drives are very inexpensive at newegg.com. the 5400rpm
and 7200rpm will certainly provide a performance boost over that of the
factory 4200rpm type. you will have to remove the existing drive cage from
the computer, and then the drive from the cage and then install the new
drive in reverse. this is not hard to do but it means having to then
completely reload your operating system, drivers, application software, and
restore your data. if you have a desktop then you can purchase a couple of
2.5" to 3.5" drive adapters and connect the drives to the desktop
temporarily so that you can close your current laptop drive to the new blank
one... but that may prove to be too complicated and exercise than just
reloading the software on the new drive from scratch.

this should get you started...
power down the machine, remove the ac adapter, remove the battery, hold the
power button for ten seconds to discharge any residual power... and then to
remove the hard drive...
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins1150/sm/hdd.htm#1084976
or download the complete manual...
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins1150/en/F7573a01.pdf

<gaikokujinkyofusho@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi, i am looking to get a larger (80-100gb?) or faster (7200rpm) drive
> for my 1150 but when i looked on the dell site i almost had a cardiac
> arrest! those things are insanely expensive, so, i was wondering if
> other brands of hard drives can be used and what i need to look for to
> make sure it works in this notebook (I assume its not as easy as
> swapping drives in a desktop [I'm somewhat of a notebook newbie]). Any
> help/advise would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Cheers
>
> -Gaiko

I helped a friend upgrade his laptop HD recently and we used a network
technique. I imaged his old laptop HD to his desktop computer. Then using a
"Reatogo BartPE Ghost 9 boot CD" in the laptop, the image was restored from
the desktop to the laptop. Networking with BartPE is a dream.

Just another way of doing it, which was very easy.

> reply to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell only (where it was read)...
>
> 2.5" notebook hard drives are very inexpensive at newegg.com. the 5400rpm
> and 7200rpm will certainly provide a performance boost over that of the
> factory 4200rpm type. you will have to remove the existing drive cage
> from the computer, and then the drive from the cage and then install the
> new drive in reverse. this is not hard to do but it means having to then
> completely reload your operating system, drivers, application software,
> and restore your data. if you have a desktop then you can purchase a
> couple of 2.5" to 3.5" drive adapters and connect the drives to the
> desktop temporarily so that you can close your current laptop drive to the
> new blank one... but that may prove to be too complicated and exercise
> than just reloading the software on the new drive from scratch.
>
> this should get you started...
> power down the machine, remove the ac adapter, remove the battery, hold
> the power button for ten seconds to discharge any residual power... and
> then to remove the hard drive...
> http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins1150/sm/hdd.htm#1084976
> or download the complete manual...
> http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins1150/en/F7573a01.pdf

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Wow! Thanks for ya'lls help, i put my desktop together so i gather
(from your input) that installing a drive shouldn't be too hard (the
network idea was quite handy). Thanks again!

-Gaiko