Newbie Question - Which gear?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
July 2, 2004 12:59:09 AM

I want to set up a PC / laptop / ADSL home network. Is any one
manufacturers' gear best for this application or should I go for the
best price for similar specs? I understand I should keep to just one
make for all the components.

Cheers

Bian

More about : newbie question gear

Anonymous
July 2, 2004 12:59:10 AM

You don't need to stuck with a single wireless vendor. As long as the
devices you are planning to use are Wi-Fi alliance certified.

"Brian" <brian1944NOSPAM@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> I want to set up a PC / laptop / ADSL home network. Is any one
> manufacturers' gear best for this application or should I go for the
> best price for similar specs? I understand I should keep to just one
> make for all the components.
>
> Cheers
>
> Bian
Anonymous
July 2, 2004 3:42:03 AM

I recommend the Linksys WiFi Kit - it's $115 or so; shop around; it is a
router that can connect via "wired" to your home PC and comes with a PC card
for your laptop, check it out @ CDW.

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=64852...

"Brian" <brian1944NOSPAM@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> I want to set up a PC / laptop / ADSL home network. Is any one
> manufacturers' gear best for this application or should I go for the
> best price for similar specs? I understand I should keep to just one
> make for all the components.
>
> Cheers
>
> Bian
July 2, 2004 6:14:49 AM

Any gear but NETGEAR, if you value your sanity.
Regards,
Martin
Anonymous
July 2, 2004 8:55:36 PM

I currently have a Dlink router now but if I had to do it all over again I
would get the Linksys WRT54G. Most sold G router out there and it allows
multiple different types of firmware versions. All this said makes it more
likely it will be the best supported. Personally I think 99.9% of users
don't need and use the 54+ speeds so I would not think it necessary to stick
with one brand.

"Brian" <brian1944NOSPAM@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> I want to set up a PC / laptop / ADSL home network. Is any one
> manufacturers' gear best for this application or should I go for the
> best price for similar specs? I understand I should keep to just one
> make for all the components.
>
> Cheers
>
> Bian
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 1:36:31 AM

I have been bitten in the behind by deploying both Linksys and D-Link
equipment on client sites, and the concensus opinion recommends avoiding
Netgear. The equipment I have been pleased with in the field is Belkin, and
their equipment does not require a huge investment. The one other vendor
I'm evaluating is US Robotics, but at the moment I have to recommend Belkin.

JP
Indy Tech

"Brian" <brian1944NOSPAM@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> I want to set up a PC / laptop / ADSL home network. Is any one
> manufacturers' gear best for this application or should I go for the
> best price for similar specs? I understand I should keep to just one
> make for all the components.
>
> Cheers
>
> Bian

---
July 8, 2004 11:45:47 AM

I've also had good experiences with Belkin. Their phone support is quick
and competent, but a little rude.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.