MSI KT266A PRO2 ISSUES.. help?

newsance

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2002
Wow. I'm 6 hours into setting up my new system with an AMD Xp 1800+, 256 stick of 266mhz DDR ram, and the MSI Pro2 board.

I plug everthing in, turn it on, and find I'm up and running, at <b>1150 MHZ!!!</b> The bios only recognizes the chip as an Athlon 1150.

Ummm, ok. I go into the bios and set it for the 133 mhz bus.

Now, the system refuses to post. WTF?

I figure the ram must be too slow. So I go in and set the ram only to 133 speed.

My system boots fine.

I figure my processor must be the wrong one, or remarked. Nope, definitely an Xp (brown, lasered L1, etc...).

Then I got to MSI website, and see 5 posts JUST TODAY with people having the same issue, and no resolution.

Has anybody run across this? Any solutions? I just don't believe this crap.

Move the cmos jumper over one position for 10 seconds (with power supply unplugged) and return to original position. Look for a 133 fsb jumper (if it has one) and set to 133. Otherwise, I suggest a bios upgrade to recognize the xp. The latest ami bios version is 3.3. Check the top of the screen when system is powering up and see if you have this version.

newsance

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2002
I reflashed it to the 3.3 bios, same issue. It pops up as a 1150 mhz chip, and hangs whenever I set the fsb to 133. There isn't a jumper as far as I know...

Booky

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001
I'm sure you have tried this but load the optimized BIOS settings and save. Then check and see what the FSB is set at, and change to 133 if need be. See if that fixes anything. Also, make sure your running stable memory settings ie 2T command, and 2.5CAS, no bank interleave. I have the K7T266 Pro, and it has a D-Led indicator for system hangs, does the K7T266A have that? If so what is the light indication when it hangs?

Crap, all the good ones are already taken.

jackzheng

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2001
I have the same mobo as you do, but I don't have any problem with it and the system is quite stable. The default FSB is 100, so you have to change it to 133. That's all. Clear your bios and do it again to see whether it will work.

BrainStorm

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I own the same mobo too, no problems. I suggest to apply BIOS default if not done already. The other thing I suspect is bad RAM, do you have access to another DDR RAM to test it out?

It's better to be rich and healthy than poor and sick!

digital_trucker

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2001
I've got the same MOBO also. Just doesn't want to run at 133. I think it's the CPU though, it's not an XP. I set my FSB at 100, and had the RAM run at HCLK+33. The multiplier isn't a problem as it goes all the way to 15x.

Drivin' in a winter wonderland

Martin, MI

G

Yo! Bookster.
I bought the MSI K7T266 Pro2 on 2nd Jan.
There is no LEDS on this model. The "jumper' is set in the BIOS.
I'm running an Athlon XP1700 in mine Overclocked to 1.55Ghz.
I got no problems with it!
I think this Dude having probs has the wrong processor.

Spamboy.

TRUE SKILL COMES WITHOUT EFFORT...

datwater

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Do yourself a favor and return the board while you still can. It's bad. I've got 2 of 'em, one will run fine at FSB 133, posts up, runs stable, it's great. The other one, with the same hardware, bios rev, etc, posts at 100mhz FSB every time. If I set it to 133mhz, it's very unstable. Been beating my head against the wall, tried everything - the board is bad.

TRENDING THREADS