Messengers start automatically

Stephanie

How can I get Yahoo Messenger and MSN Messenger to NOT
launch at start up? I can't find a way to get them
unattached to start, but still be able to launch when I
want to use. Running XP. Thanks.

To get MSN Messenger not to start at start-up, click the Tools menu in
Messenger --> Options --> General. Uncheck the box marked "Automatically run
Messenger when I log on to Windows".

As for Yahoo Messenger, click on the Messenger menu --> Preferences -->
General. Uncheck the box at the top marked "Automatically start Yahoo
Messenger".

Hope that helps you!

Sincerely,
Michael Katz [MVP - MSN Client]
--

"Stephanie" <shgrimm@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> How can I get Yahoo Messenger and MSN Messenger to NOT
> launch at start up? I can't find a way to get them
> unattached to start, but still be able to launch when I
> want to use. Running XP. Thanks.

This doesn't work. I've turned it off and on several times and it still
opens on start up. I'd like to disable it, as well. Any other ideas?

"Michael Katz [MVP]" wrote:

> To get MSN Messenger not to start at start-up, click the Tools menu in
> Messenger --> Options --> General. Uncheck the box marked "Automatically run
> Messenger when I log on to Windows".
>
> As for Yahoo Messenger, click on the Messenger menu --> Preferences -->
> General. Uncheck the box at the top marked "Automatically start Yahoo
> Messenger".
>
> Hope that helps you!
>
> Sincerely,
> Michael Katz [MVP - MSN Client]
> --
>

> "Stephanie" <shgrimm@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > How can I get Yahoo Messenger and MSN Messenger to NOT
> > launch at start up? I can't find a way to get them
> > unattached to start, but still be able to launch when I
> > want to use. Running XP. Thanks.

Do you have Norton Antivirus installed? Most new anti-virus scanners have IM
scanning features, which protect users when they're being sent files. Of
course, this also forces the program to load at start-up.

If so, you can always turn off this feature in Norton by going to the
Options menu --> Instant Messenger --> uncheck the box marked "MSN/Windows
Messenger".

Let me know how it turns out.

Michael Katz [MVP - MSN Client]
"There's no I in 'team' but there is 'me'"
http://msmvps.com/msntral

This posting is provided 'AS IS' with no warranties, and confers no rights.

"TanaMary" <TanaMary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This doesn't work. I've turned it off and on several times and it still
> opens on start up. I'd like to disable it, as well. Any other ideas?
>
> "Michael Katz [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> To get MSN Messenger not to start at start-up, click the Tools menu in
>> Messenger --> Options --> General. Uncheck the box marked "Automatically
>> run
>> Messenger when I log on to Windows".
>>
>> As for Yahoo Messenger, click on the Messenger menu --> Preferences -->
>> General. Uncheck the box at the top marked "Automatically start Yahoo
>> Messenger".
>>
>> Hope that helps you!
>>
>> Sincerely,
>> Michael Katz [MVP - MSN Client]
>> --
>>

>> "Stephanie" <shgrimm@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > How can I get Yahoo Messenger and MSN Messenger to NOT
>> > launch at start up? I can't find a way to get them
>> > unattached to start, but still be able to launch when I
>> > want to use. Running XP. Thanks.

My NAV is 2003. I don't find an MSN Messenger on my options, so I'm guessing
I'm SOL. I suppose I can live with it. It's merely annoying....not
interferring with anything. Thanks anyway.

Any chance you know anything about getting rid of installation pop-ups (CDT;
Sloctchbar; Media Tickets)??????