Windows Messenger

I'm currently running Windows XP PRO SP2. It's my understanding that if I
activate Windows Messennger I will NOT be able to access my hotmail
account...Is this true?

If I want to access my hotmail e-mail account I should download and install
MSN Messenger 6.2?

Can the Windows Messenger and MSN Messenger be run simultaneously with no
issues?
5 answers Last reply
More about windows messenger

    You can access your Hotmail account through the MSN home page..

    "Darrell" <Darrell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm currently running Windows XP PRO SP2. It's my understanding that if I
    > activate Windows Messennger I will NOT be able to access my hotmail
    > account...Is this true?
    >
    > If I want to access my hotmail e-mail account I should download and
    > install
    > MSN Messenger 6.2?
    >
    > Can the Windows Messenger and MSN Messenger be run simultaneously with no
    > issues?

    That was not the question...I know I can do that.

    "Mike Hall" wrote:

    > You can access your Hotmail account through the MSN home page..
    >

    > "Darrell" <Darrell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I'm currently running Windows XP PRO SP2. It's my understanding that if I
    > > activate Windows Messennger I will NOT be able to access my hotmail
    > > account...Is this true?
    > >
    > > If I want to access my hotmail e-mail account I should download and
    > > install
    > > MSN Messenger 6.2?
    > >
    > > Can the Windows Messenger and MSN Messenger be run simultaneously with no
    > > issues?

    Greetings Darrell,

    Yes, Windows Messenger in SP2 does not have support for Add-Ins (which is how the Hotmail
    functionality worked). However, you can install the previous version of Windows Messenger to
    get it back.

    However, yes, MSN Messenger of course has this functionality. In fact Windows Messenger is
    required to be installed for MSN Messenger all functionality to work properly, so yes, it
    should be fine.
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    "Darrell" <Darrell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm currently running Windows XP PRO SP2. It's my understanding that if I
    > activate Windows Messennger I will NOT be able to access my hotmail
    > account...Is this true?
    >
    > If I want to access my hotmail e-mail account I should download and install
    > MSN Messenger 6.2?
    >
    > Can the Windows Messenger and MSN Messenger be run simultaneously with no
    > issues?

    Thank you Jonathan.

    Mike, if my reply to you sounded rude, that was not my intention. I thought
    about that when I hit the "Post" button.

    Have a good day to all.

    "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:

    > Greetings Darrell,
    >
    > Yes, Windows Messenger in SP2 does not have support for Add-Ins (which is how the Hotmail
    > functionality worked). However, you can install the previous version of Windows Messenger to
    > get it back.
    >
    > However, yes, MSN Messenger of course has this functionality. In fact Windows Messenger is
    > required to be installed for MSN Messenger all functionality to work properly, so yes, it
    > should be fine.
    > Jonathan Kay
    > Associate Expert
    >
    > "Darrell" <Darrell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I'm currently running Windows XP PRO SP2. It's my understanding that if I
    > > activate Windows Messennger I will NOT be able to access my hotmail
    > > account...Is this true?
    > >
    > > If I want to access my hotmail e-mail account I should download and install
    > > MSN Messenger 6.2?
    > >
    > > Can the Windows Messenger and MSN Messenger be run simultaneously with no
    > > issues?

    It was just a suggestion.. my wife moaned and groaned about not getting
    Hotmail thru WM.. as we have MSN as our home page, I educated her on how
    easy it was, and she has learned the truth.. :)

    > That was not the question...I know I can do that.
    >
    > "Mike Hall" wrote:
    >
    >> You can access your Hotmail account through the MSN home page..
    >>

    >> "Darrell" <Darrell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > I'm currently running Windows XP PRO SP2. It's my understanding that
    >> > if I
    >> > activate Windows Messennger I will NOT be able to access my hotmail
    >> > account...Is this true?
    >> >
    >> > If I want to access my hotmail e-mail account I should download and
    >> > install
    >> > MSN Messenger 6.2?
    >> >
    >> > Can the Windows Messenger and MSN Messenger be run simultaneously with
    >> > no
    >> > issues?

Hotmail Messenger MSN Messenger Windows XP