see the whole playing field

Hi,

I just made the switch from Age of Empire II to Civ III and I do not
regret it. Just one question: When starting out as newbie in AoE I
could turn off the 'darkness' of the non disovered playing field and
see everything. It was a good help to play a few games like that when
getting to know how the game works and get the whole picture a bit
faster than if I were to discover everything by walking there. I could
not find this option mentioned in the manual but maybe there is a way
or a cheat code to achieve this in Civ III ?

Thanks,

/p
13 answers Last reply
More about playing field
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    "Dutronc" <sorry@no.mail> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I just made the switch from Age of Empire II to Civ III and I do not
    > regret it. Just one question: When starting out as newbie in AoE I
    > could turn off the 'darkness' of the non disovered playing field and
    > see everything. It was a good help to play a few games like that when
    > getting to know how the game works and get the whole picture a bit
    > faster than if I were to discover everything by walking there. I could
    > not find this option mentioned in the manual but maybe there is a way
    > or a cheat code to achieve this in Civ III ?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > /p

    Nope. Sorry. There's nothing to be done for it.

    BTW, I used to play AoE too. Then I went to Empire Earth. Then I got Civ
    II followed by Civ III.
    I must say that RTS games have their place, but only when you've got a
    friend to play via modem/lan/internet. Turn based is great for single
    player games. I can always stop (after just one more turn) and start
    another load of dishes, laundry, mow the grass, make the bed, clean the
    house, or get something to drink so I can do one more turn. I usually just
    do the latter... :)
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    One of my favourite things about civ is the undiscovered area - you never
    know what position you're going to be in! (mind you, you'll find yourself
    restarting a lot on new games to find a better start point)

    "Dutronc" <sorry@no.mail> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I just made the switch from Age of Empire II to Civ III and I do not
    > regret it. Just one question: When starting out as newbie in AoE I
    > could turn off the 'darkness' of the non disovered playing field and
    > see everything. It was a good help to play a few games like that when
    > getting to know how the game works and get the whole picture a bit
    > faster than if I were to discover everything by walking there. I could
    > not find this option mentioned in the manual but maybe there is a way
    > or a cheat code to achieve this in Civ III ?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > /p
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    There is a cheat that allows you to do just that. When you rename the
    savegame (or even save the game) including the fragment "multi" in your .SAV
    file, you'll be able to see the whole map
    I did that once, but it really detracted from the game.

    Alan

    "Nick" <nick@jimdigriz6.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > One of my favourite things about civ is the undiscovered area - you never
    > know what position you're going to be in! (mind you, you'll find yourself
    > restarting a lot on new games to find a better start point)
    >

    > "Dutronc" <sorry@no.mail> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I just made the switch from Age of Empire II to Civ III and I do not
    > > regret it. Just one question: When starting out as newbie in AoE I
    > > could turn off the 'darkness' of the non disovered playing field and
    > > see everything. It was a good help to play a few games like that when
    > > getting to know how the game works and get the whole picture a bit
    > > faster than if I were to discover everything by walking there. I could
    > > not find this option mentioned in the manual but maybe there is a way
    > > or a cheat code to achieve this in Civ III ?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > /p

  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    "Alan" <oya@oya.com> wrote in message
    > There is a cheat that allows you to do just that. When you rename the
    > savegame (or even save the game) including the fragment "multi" in your
    > .SAV
    > file, you'll be able to see the whole map
    > I did that once, but it really detracted from the game.

    That was fixed in one of the first patches. You should install the latest
    game patch.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    Wow!

    Thanks for this hint.
    I tried it yesterday and realised that I spend hours and
    hours of my life for nothing.
    My way of playing is based on a good starting position (a "leave me
    alone" spot) so I had to start a game, discover the whole Island to make
    sure theres no russion or roman around - at least find them, starting
    over a new game, save and search again ...

    NOT ANYMORE!! ;-)

    Additional question to this:

    Is there any way to save the whole map into another application?
    Right now I take snap shots of the screen, glue them together in mspaint
    and add there some informations I need later on (e.g. places for cities).
    But thats very time-consuming...

    Lars

    Alan wrote:

    > There is a cheat that allows you to do just that. When you rename the
    > savegame (or even save the game) including the fragment "multi" in your .SAV
    > file, you'll be able to see the whole map
    > I did that once, but it really detracted from the game.
    >
    > Alan
    >
    > "Nick" <nick@jimdigriz6.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    >
    >>One of my favourite things about civ is the undiscovered area - you never
    >>know what position you're going to be in! (mind you, you'll find yourself
    >>restarting a lot on new games to find a better start point)
    >>

    >>"Dutronc" <sorry@no.mail> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>I just made the switch from Age of Empire II to Civ III and I do not
    >>>regret it. Just one question: When starting out as newbie in AoE I
    >>>could turn off the 'darkness' of the non disovered playing field and
    >>>see everything. It was a good help to play a few games like that when
    >>>getting to know how the game works and get the whole picture a bit
    >>>faster than if I were to discover everything by walking there. I could
    >>>not find this option mentioned in the manual but maybe there is a way
    >>>or a cheat code to achieve this in Civ III ?
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 15:26:04 -0500, "The Stare"
    <wat1@not.likely.frontiernet.net> wrote:

    >"Alan" <oya@oya.com> wrote in message
    >> There is a cheat that allows you to do just that. When you rename the
    >> savegame (or even save the game) including the fragment "multi" in your
    >> .SAV
    >> file, you'll be able to see the whole map
    >> I did that once, but it really detracted from the game.
    >
    >That was fixed in one of the first patches. You should install the latest
    >game patch.

    I never got the multi save to work, but what I do is similar to what
    you did. I build scouts a while and check out around my position.
    Then when I am satisfied, I save the game as Map and restart. It
    might be nice to see the whole world sometime, but what I really want
    is to more intelligently make settlement plans in the beginning.
    Since I play with random worlds, I don't always have islands and
    sometimes the islands are tooooooo small!

    To me, it doesn't ruin the game as much as trying to build up and
    finding out that you don't have adequate terrain to grow or you are
    surrounded by enemy forces and have to try to build defense units
    faster than two or three civs can build attack units.

    Buck
    Buck
    --
    For what it's worth.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 10:53:22 -0500, Buck <iam@this.site> wrote:

    >On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 15:26:04 -0500, "The Stare"
    ><wat1@not.likely.frontiernet.net> wrote:
    >

    >>"Alan" <oya@oya.com> wrote in message
    >>> There is a cheat that allows you to do just that. When you rename the
    >>> savegame (or even save the game) including the fragment "multi" in your
    >>> .SAV
    >>> file, you'll be able to see the whole map
    >>> I did that once, but it really detracted from the game.
    >>
    >>That was fixed in one of the first patches. You should install the latest
    >>game patch.
    >>

    >I never got the multi save to work, but what I do is similar to what
    >you did. I build scouts a while and check out around my position.
    >Then when I am satisfied, I save the game as Map and restart. It
    >might be nice to see the whole world sometime, but what I really want
    >is to more intelligently make settlement plans in the beginning.
    >Since I play with random worlds, I don't always have islands and
    >sometimes the islands are tooooooo small!
    >
    >To me, it doesn't ruin the game as much as trying to build up and
    >finding out that you don't have adequate terrain to grow or you are
    >surrounded by enemy forces and have to try to build defense units
    >faster than two or three civs can build attack units.

    You can use the editor to make a random map, place the civs, then
    use that map as a your scenario. You get total control that way.

  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    Nick <nick@jimdigriz6.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote:
    >Agree. I hate cheats! I do restart a lot on a new game but I would never
    >check out the map first before (not to mention the extra time it would take)
    >to make sure you weren't too close to other players

    Not criticizing in any way, but for me the fun is to
    play the board as it is. That makes for some very
    tough games -- and for me that's the fun of it.

    Can't most of us win given an excellent starting postion?

    ---- Paul J. Gans
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    Hi, all you honest ones out there ;-)

    Paul J Gans wrote:
    > Nick <nick@jimdigriz6.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    >>Agree. I hate cheats! I do restart a lot on a new game but I would never
    >>check out the map first before (not to mention the extra time it would take)
    >>to make sure you weren't too close to other players
    >

    > Not criticizing in any way, but for me the fun is to
    > play the board as it is. That makes for some very
    > tough games -- and for me that's the fun of it.

    For me the fun is the management of "my world".
    I am one of the players that micromanage everything.
    So my games may take a hundred hours and be played some
    weeks long (I dont have that much time for it)
    And I dont like the situation that after some days of
    playing the russians mean to annoy me ...

    So, yes its cheating, but I can stand that.
    (BTW: one con of the "multi" methode of checking the map
    (compared to the scout run on a saved game) is the visibility
    of ALL resources, up to uranium. That could be a little
    bit too much cheat for me, but I usually have control over
    the whole island later on and so my strategy will not be
    fixed on some special points where there will be oil or
    coal later in the game

    > Can't most of us win given an excellent starting postion?

    dont know.
    For me the goal isnt winning/points, but the fun of playing!

    Have fun

    Lars
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 08:56:07 +0100, Lars Thomsen
    <lars.thomsen@email.de> wrote:

    >Hi, all you honest ones out there ;-)
    >
    >Paul J Gans wrote:
    >> Nick <nick@jimdigriz6.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote:
    >>

    >For me the goal isnt winning/points, but the fun of playing!
    >
    >Have fun
    >
    >Lars

    For me, it is both. I don't mind losing a good game, but I don't like
    being wiped out by the time I can build my third or forth city. I
    don't like starting the game at war so I scout enough to see how to
    arrange my first five cities and I am ok. I used to scout the entire
    map/continent/island as appropriate, but that can get boring too.
    Generally, what I do now is get a local picture and count the points
    to where I plan to build my first five cities. I used to save the map
    for reference, but now that I only clear a small patch, I let the
    official game scouts do the work.

    Speaking of multi, just for kicks and giggles, I saved a game called
    Multi-test.sav. I couldn't see the map when I opened it. What am I
    doing wrong?

    Buck
    --
    For what it's worth.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    In article <eqse011ngdboeln3thc5ti8sv6h8geb8j9@4ax.com>, Buck <iam@this.site> wrote:
    <snip>

    >Speaking of multi, just for kicks and giggles, I saved a game called
    >Multi-test.sav. I couldn't see the map when I opened it. What am I
    >doing wrong?

    I think the developers "fixed" this in one of the patches. If you are up to
    date on your patches then it won't work anymore.

    Mike G
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 15:08:57 GMT,
    mtg@cornellc.cit.stumbling.block.cornell.edu (Mike Garcia) wrote:

    >In article <eqse011ngdboeln3thc5ti8sv6h8geb8j9@4ax.com>, Buck <iam@this.site> wrote:
    ><snip>
    >>
    >>Speaking of multi, just for kicks and giggles, I saved a game called
    >>Multi-test.sav. I couldn't see the map when I opened it. What am I
    >>doing wrong?
    >
    >I think the developers "fixed" this in one of the patches. If you are up to
    >date on your patches then it won't work anymore.
    >
    >Mike G

    I am up-to-date. :)

    Buck
    --
    For what it's worth.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    Lars Thomsen <lars.thomsen@email.de> wrote:

    > For me the fun is the management of "my world".
    > I am one of the players that micromanage everything.
    > So my games may take a hundred hours and be played some
    > weeks long (I dont have that much time for it)
    > And I dont like the situation that after some days of
    > playing the russians mean to annoy me ...

    I'm an addictive micromanager too, but for me, the goal is the make the
    optimal decisions based upon what I know (or what think I should know).

    "What I think I should know" includes things like how many beakers I need to
    gain the next advance, so I will sometimes save and repeatedly reload a game
    at turn end, tweaking my scientist/taxmen balance. But "what I think I
    should know" doesn't include the terrain of squares I havem't explored.

    --
    Daran

    The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that
    English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words;
    on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them
    unconscious and riffle their pockets for new vocabulary. -- James D. Nicoll

Switch Games Video Games