ECS K7S5A boot problem

Rubberbband

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2001
My buddy has been running a 1.2 Ghz Athlon on his ECS Mobo for a while now. Yesterday he formatted and re-installed Win ME and MS Office. He went to the Office update site and installed patches SR-1 and SR-2. He had to re-boot so his system shut down and now it won't start up. His monitor is blank but his case fans are running. He doesn't even get an out of range warning. He's running a 300 watt generic PS. Any ideas would be appreciated. He's over at a friends house and they are going to try swapping out components one at a time...

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by rubberbband on 01/02/02 00:06 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I had the same problem with this mobo. What I determined it to be is the motherboard has a really crappy/stupid SLEEP function. For me, it would do that if I wouldn't use Win98 Shutdown to turn the computer off. For instance, if it froze or if I turned off from DOS, it wouldn't turn back on. What I had to do to get it back on was to turn the PSU off (with the switch in the back), unplug it from the motherboard, let it sit for a few minutes, plug it back in, turn PSU on, then turn PSU back on. After you get it turned back on, go into the BIOS and turn off the SLEEP function. Since I've turned off SLEEP, it hasn't done that since. This motherboard SUCKS.

"Trying is the first step towards failure."

Rubberbband

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2001
The sleep function is disabled.
While at buddy's house he swapped his vid card (GF2 GTS) for a PCI vid card and he also swapped his DDR Ram with PC133 sdram. The computer flashed up then. It won't flash with just the Ram replaced or with just the Video card replaced. Which is confusing because it doesn't narrow it down much. Any more ideas guys???

G

I bet on PSU ! They are so cheap these days, I replaced at least 10 last year ,and some of them would still alow the fans to run !

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
yeah, but a decent one is going to cost you some dough.
like a nice enermax one...
sure, they are cheaper than they used to be, but they are not really that cheap...
if you are buying a cheapo powersupply, then yeah, they are cheap...

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-