Ideas for Civ4

Is there anywhere I can post some suggestions for Civ4? I have a couple

[1] If you have built hundreds of barracks or granaries on a continent,
and you build / capture the Pyramids or War Academy, it would be nice to
have the option to sell all your old barracks/granaries rather than have to
individually go to each town and sell one.

[2] Automatic upgrade - it's a real pain to have to move all your Panzers
back to a city, then click upgrade. If only there was an automatic way to do
it. Perhaps you could auto-upgrade everything in a city, and pay a penalty
for those not near a city. Perhaps those units a certain distance from a
city, or in enemy terrority couldn't be upgraded at all.

Just a couple of ideas.
11 answers Last reply
More about ideas civ4
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 09:45:49 -0000, SPP Admin <mre@yahoodonteventhinkaboutspam.com> wrote:

    > [2] Automatic upgrade - it's a real pain to have to move all your Panzers
    > back to a city, then click upgrade. If only there was an automatic way to do
    > it. Perhaps you could auto-upgrade everything in a city, and pay a penalty
    > for those not near a city. Perhaps those units a certain distance from a
    > city, or in enemy terrority couldn't be upgraded at all.

    Well, that's not really realistic, is it? Taking units back to the
    armory (barracks) for retrofit, yes. Field upgrades to the extent of
    replacing major components? Not so much going to happen on a
    un-equipped mountaintop.

    Your military advisor can find the "stray" old units for you; find
    them, activate them, and rotate them out for upgraded units.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    "SPP Admin" <mre@yahoodonteventhinkaboutspam.com> wrote in

    > Is there anywhere I can post some suggestions for Civ4? I have a
    > couple
    >
    > [1] If you have built hundreds of barracks or granaries on a
    > continent, and you build / capture the Pyramids or War Academy, it
    > would be nice to have the option to sell all your old
    > barracks/granaries rather than have to individually go to each
    > town and sell one.

    While this would be nice, it is not very necessary since you do not
    pay maintenance for those buildings once the wonder is built.

    --
    ICQ: 8105495
    AIM: KeeperGFA

    "SPP Admin" <mre@yahoodonteventhinkaboutspam.com> wrote in message
    > [2] Automatic upgrade - it's a real pain to have to move all your
    Panzers
    > back to a city, then click upgrade. If only there was an automatic way to
    do
    > it. Perhaps you could auto-upgrade everything in a city, and pay a penalty
    > for those not near a city. Perhaps those units a certain distance from a
    > city, or in enemy terrority couldn't be upgraded at all.

    You can auto-upgrade to an extent.
    Do the following for multiple same unit upgrades:
    1. Move unit(s) to city with barracks
    2. Select one unit to be upgraded
    3. Press Shift-U on the PC keyboard
    4. Answer yes to the question "Do you want to upgrade # of units for a
    total of $"

    All units of that type in a city with a barracks will then be upgraded.
    Keep in mind that you need to have the money to upgrade ALL of the selected
    unit type that are in cities with barracks. Else you will get a message
    saying that you don't have enough money...
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    You see, we don't need Civ4 at all, all my wants where actually possible to
    a limited extent in Civ3, I just didn't know the keyboard shortcuts!
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    Kevin 'Keeper' Foster <thekeeper@canada.com> wrote:

    > While this would be nice, it is not very necessary since you do not
    > pay maintenance for those buildings once the wonder is built.

    That I didn't know. Thanks. If you are reasonably certain that you will
    hold these wonders for the rest of the game, then it's still worth selling
    the improvements for the gold.

    --
    Daran

    The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that
    English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words;
    on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them
    unconscious and riffle their pockets for new vocabulary. -- James D. Nicoll
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    Daran <daranSPAMg@lineone.net> wrote in

    > Kevin 'Keeper' Foster <thekeeper@canada.com> wrote:
    >
    >> While this would be nice, it is not very necessary since you do
    >> not
    >> pay maintenance for those buildings once the wonder is built.
    >
    > That I didn't know. Thanks. If you are reasonably certain that
    > you will hold these wonders for the rest of the game, then it's
    > still worth selling the improvements for the gold.

    True. It would also be nice if you could still build the
    improvements in cities that need it, so that the improvement would be
    in place after you lose the wonder (to war or expiry).

    --
    ICQ: 8105495
    AIM: KeeperGFA
    EMail: thekeeper@canada.com
    "If we did the things we are capable of,
    we would astound ourselves." - Edison
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    Seriously, I'm not sure I *need* Civ 4! Civ 3 will keep me going for ages, I
    havent even scratched the surface of the game - I've played about 4 or 5
    long-term games. I simply don't have time to play it that much and I can't
    think that Civ 4 could be that much better - maybe I'll be wrong (good!)
    There's so much variation etc in Civ 3 that it will keep me going for years.
    I haven't downloaded any extra's from civfanatics etc, just a couple of text
    files on tips etc...

    > You see, we don't need Civ4 at all, all my wants where actually possible
    > to a limited extent in Civ3, I just didn't know the keyboard shortcuts!

  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    I still prefer civ3 to SMAC simply because it's based on earth with real
    units and advances.

    I remember years ago in the alt.binaries.games.civ2 newsgroup there was a
    discussion on where CTP or SMAC made the best purchase (neither were
    released at this point). I made the bold statement that SMAC would
    probably be best since someone would no doubt create an earth modpack for
    it, guess I'll still have to wait for that before I go back to it :)
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    Kevin 'Keeper' Foster <thekeeper@canada.com> wrote in message
    Xns95FEA3AA1E7B7kdfosterrogerscom@130.133.1.4...
    > "SPP Admin" <mre@yahoodonteventhinkaboutspam.com> wrote in
    >
    > > Is there anywhere I can post some suggestions for Civ4? I have a
    > > couple
    > >
    > > [1] If you have built hundreds of barracks or granaries on a
    > > continent, and you build / capture the Pyramids or War Academy, it
    > > would be nice to have the option to sell all your old
    > > barracks/granaries rather than have to individually go to each
    > > town and sell one.
    >
    > While this would be nice, it is not very necessary since you do not
    > pay maintenance for those buildings once the wonder is built.

    Yes, but you could still make some money from selling them (and run the risk
    associated with the possibility of the city being captured again or revert
    to the original civ, or even being razed, of course).

    In SMAC, there is the option selling, from any city screen, all your
    improvements of a given kind, in all your bases at once, and I find it to be
    very useful - especially since in that game there are several "secret
    project" (as the equivalent of Wonders are strangely misnamed in SMAC) that
    give you the equivalent of a particular improvement in all your bases (even
    naval yards in completely land-locked ones, BTW) and that you can only
    build, often, after you've already built several of those improvements in
    several bases.

    I'd say it should be almost trivial to add this option to Civ as well - and
    useful too. Maybe with another option: "sell only those on this continent".

    Alfredo
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    Suddenly, Nick, drunk as a lemur, stumbled out of the darkness and
    exclaimed:

    > Yes I played SMAC quite a long time ago. I got quite into it but lost
    > interest after a while - Civ 2 and 3 are better for me.

    I still go back and play SMACX occasionally, but it's too easy. Even on
    transcend level, there's no real challenge. I wouldn't mind being able to
    select a unit to find out where it's going, though.

    --
    Billy Yank

    Quinn: "I'm saying it us, or them."
    Murphy: "Well I choose them."
    Q: "That's NOT an option!"
    M: "Then you shouldn't have framed it as one."
    -Sealab 2021

    Billy Yank's Baldur's Gate Photo Portraits
    http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze2xvw6/
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    I prefer civ for that reason too - its on 'earth'. Its weird coz I really
    like sci-fi but all the new technologies, improvements in SMAC really
    confused me - I was checking the manual all the time. SMAC was atmospheric
    though...the music helped. (I am talking about a long time ago here -
    haven't got the game anymore, lost it somehow)

    "Havok" <you@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
    >I still prefer civ3 to SMAC simply because it's based on earth with real
    > units and advances.
    >
    > I remember years ago in the alt.binaries.games.civ2 newsgroup there was a
    > discussion on where CTP or SMAC made the best purchase (neither were
    > released at this point). I made the bold statement that SMAC would
    > probably be best since someone would no doubt create an earth modpack for
    > it, guess I'll still have to wait for that before I go back to it :)

Video Games