Is there anywhere I can post some suggestions for Civ4? I have a couple

[1] If you have built hundreds of barracks or granaries on a continent,
and you build / capture the Pyramids or War Academy, it would be nice to
have the option to sell all your old barracks/granaries rather than have to
individually go to each town and sell one.

[2] Automatic upgrade - it's a real pain to have to move all your Panzers
back to a city, then click upgrade. If only there was an automatic way to do
it. Perhaps you could auto-upgrade everything in a city, and pay a penalty
for those not near a city. Perhaps those units a certain distance from a
city, or in enemy terrority couldn't be upgraded at all.

Just a couple of ideas.

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 09:45:49 -0000, SPP Admin <mre@yahoodonteventhinkaboutspam.com> wrote:

> [2] Automatic upgrade - it's a real pain to have to move all your Panzers
> back to a city, then click upgrade. If only there was an automatic way to do
> it. Perhaps you could auto-upgrade everything in a city, and pay a penalty
> for those not near a city. Perhaps those units a certain distance from a
> city, or in enemy terrority couldn't be upgraded at all.

Well, that's not really realistic, is it? Taking units back to the
armory (barracks) for retrofit, yes. Field upgrades to the extent of
replacing major components? Not so much going to happen on a
un-equipped mountaintop.

Your military advisor can find the "stray" old units for you; find
them, activate them, and rotate them out for upgraded units.

"SPP Admin" <mre@yahoodonteventhinkaboutspam.com> wrote in

> Is there anywhere I can post some suggestions for Civ4? I have a
> couple
>
> [1] If you have built hundreds of barracks or granaries on a
> continent, and you build / capture the Pyramids or War Academy, it
> would be nice to have the option to sell all your old
> barracks/granaries rather than have to individually go to each
> town and sell one.

While this would be nice, it is not very necessary since you do not
pay maintenance for those buildings once the wonder is built.

--
ICQ: 8105495
AIM: KeeperGFA

"SPP Admin" <mre@yahoodonteventhinkaboutspam.com> wrote in message
> [2] Automatic upgrade - it's a real pain to have to move all your
Panzers
> back to a city, then click upgrade. If only there was an automatic way to
do
> it. Perhaps you could auto-upgrade everything in a city, and pay a penalty
> for those not near a city. Perhaps those units a certain distance from a
> city, or in enemy terrority couldn't be upgraded at all.

You can auto-upgrade to an extent.
Do the following for multiple same unit upgrades:
1. Move unit(s) to city with barracks
2. Select one unit to be upgraded
3. Press Shift-U on the PC keyboard
4. Answer yes to the question "Do you want to upgrade # of units for a
total of $"

All units of that type in a city with a barracks will then be upgraded.
Keep in mind that you need to have the money to upgrade ALL of the selected
unit type that are in cities with barracks. Else you will get a message
saying that you don't have enough money...

You see, we don't need Civ4 at all, all my wants where actually possible to
a limited extent in Civ3, I just didn't know the keyboard shortcuts!

daran

Distinguished
May 21, 2004

Kevin 'Keeper' Foster <thekeeper@canada.com> wrote:

> While this would be nice, it is not very necessary since you do not
> pay maintenance for those buildings once the wonder is built.

That I didn't know. Thanks. If you are reasonably certain that you will
hold these wonders for the rest of the game, then it's still worth selling
the improvements for the gold.

--
Daran

The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that
English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words;
on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them
unconscious and riffle their pockets for new vocabulary. -- James D. Nicoll

Daran <daranSPAMg@lineone.net> wrote in

> Kevin 'Keeper' Foster <thekeeper@canada.com> wrote:
>
>> While this would be nice, it is not very necessary since you do
>> not
>> pay maintenance for those buildings once the wonder is built.
>
> That I didn't know. Thanks. If you are reasonably certain that
> you will hold these wonders for the rest of the game, then it's
> still worth selling the improvements for the gold.

True. It would also be nice if you could still build the
improvements in cities that need it, so that the improvement would be
in place after you lose the wonder (to war or expiry).

--
ICQ: 8105495
AIM: KeeperGFA
EMail: thekeeper@canada.com
"If we did the things we are capable of,
we would astound ourselves." - Edison

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Seriously, I'm not sure I *need* Civ 4! Civ 3 will keep me going for ages, I
havent even scratched the surface of the game - I've played about 4 or 5
long-term games. I simply don't have time to play it that much and I can't
think that Civ 4 could be that much better - maybe I'll be wrong (good!)
There's so much variation etc in Civ 3 that it will keep me going for years.
I haven't downloaded any extra's from civfanatics etc, just a couple of text
files on tips etc...

> You see, we don't need Civ4 at all, all my wants where actually possible
> to a limited extent in Civ3, I just didn't know the keyboard shortcuts!

HavoK

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2003

I still prefer civ3 to SMAC simply because it's based on earth with real
units and advances.

I remember years ago in the alt.binaries.games.civ2 newsgroup there was a
discussion on where CTP or SMAC made the best purchase (neither were
released at this point). I made the bold statement that SMAC would
probably be best since someone would no doubt create an earth modpack for
it, guess I'll still have to wait for that before I go back to it :)

Kevin 'Keeper' Foster <thekeeper@canada.com> wrote in message
Xns95FEA3AA1E7B7kdfosterrogerscom@130.133.1.4...
> "SPP Admin" <mre@yahoodonteventhinkaboutspam.com> wrote in
>
> > Is there anywhere I can post some suggestions for Civ4? I have a
> > couple
> >
> > [1] If you have built hundreds of barracks or granaries on a
> > continent, and you build / capture the Pyramids or War Academy, it
> > would be nice to have the option to sell all your old
> > barracks/granaries rather than have to individually go to each
> > town and sell one.
>
> While this would be nice, it is not very necessary since you do not
> pay maintenance for those buildings once the wonder is built.

Yes, but you could still make some money from selling them (and run the risk
associated with the possibility of the city being captured again or revert
to the original civ, or even being razed, of course).

In SMAC, there is the option selling, from any city screen, all your
improvements of a given kind, in all your bases at once, and I find it to be
very useful - especially since in that game there are several "secret
project" (as the equivalent of Wonders are strangely misnamed in SMAC) that
give you the equivalent of a particular improvement in all your bases (even
naval yards in completely land-locked ones, BTW) and that you can only
build, often, after you've already built several of those improvements in
several bases.

I'd say it should be almost trivial to add this option to Civ as well - and
useful too. Maybe with another option: "sell only those on this continent".

Alfredo

Suddenly, Nick, drunk as a lemur, stumbled out of the darkness and
exclaimed:

> Yes I played SMAC quite a long time ago. I got quite into it but lost
> interest after a while - Civ 2 and 3 are better for me.

I still go back and play SMACX occasionally, but it's too easy. Even on
transcend level, there's no real challenge. I wouldn't mind being able to
select a unit to find out where it's going, though.

--
Billy Yank

Quinn: "I'm saying it us, or them."
Murphy: "Well I choose them."
Q: "That's NOT an option!"
M: "Then you shouldn't have framed it as one."
-Sealab 2021

Billy Yank's Baldur's Gate Photo Portraits
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze2xvw6/

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I prefer civ for that reason too - its on 'earth'. Its weird coz I really
like sci-fi but all the new technologies, improvements in SMAC really
confused me - I was checking the manual all the time. SMAC was atmospheric
though...the music helped. (I am talking about a long time ago here -
haven't got the game anymore, lost it somehow)