Jan 2, 2002
Here's the config

Athlon XP 1800
Asus A7V 266-E
GForce 2/GTS video
3com 10/100 nic
SBLive Value sound

Problem:
ALL cards (3com, SBLive, Gforce 2) are using IRQ 9.
This causes lock-ups and weird sounds when playing any type of game.

I CANNOT move ANY of these cards to another IRQ!!! I have tried pulling them all out except video and that sticks on IRQ 9. I then tried putting in just the sound card in different slots, stays on IRQ 9. I then set ALL slots in the bios to use IRQ 7 and set IRQ 9 as IN USE/ISA. STILL STUCK ON IRQ 9!!!

Arrrghhh... Please help. Has anyone found out a secret to moving these damn things around? WINXP makes it tougher since it doesnt look like you can manually force cards to new IRQ's (like in Win98).

I really appreciate any help anyone can provide as I am at my wits end!

Thanks,
Jon

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I CANNOT move ANY of these cards to another IRQ!!! I have tried pulling them all out except video and that sticks on IRQ 9. I then tried putting in just the sound card in different slots, stays on IRQ 9. I then set ALL slots in the bios to use IRQ 7 and set IRQ 9 as IN USE/ISA. STILL STUCK ON IRQ 9!!!
<b><A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.html?i=47" target="_new"><font color=red>Why are all my devices using one IRQ in Win2K or WinXP?</A></b></font color=red>
Your problem might be lying on something else as heat, CPU's core voltage or RAM.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

G

Go into your bios and disable "paralle & serial ports" this will free up a few IRQ. Hope this helps.

G

I was having a similar problem and here is how I fixed it. First I want into the BIOS and set "Plug and Play OS" to "NO" Then I reinstalled the os with only the graphix card in. Then I put in one card at a time and after each card I checked what IRQ it used, if I didnt like it I moved it to a different slot until I found the one I liked. I continued to do that until my Network card, my sound card (audigy, yes they work fine with VIA chipsets :p), and my graphx card were all on different IRQ's.
Worked for me...good luck.

sakattack

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2001
I had the same problem with my on-board AC'97 sound chip in WinXP. After reinstalling the driver, AC'97 changed to IRQ 10 (as I could confirm in the Device Manager) and went on working properly.
However, after every new boot-up it would go back to IRQ 9 and I had to install the driver every time I booteed up! I couldn't figure out how to change that.

This & other driver problems made me change back to win2k where , even though there is also IRQ 9 sharing, I had no problem !