Using 802.11g card with 802.11b router

Last response: in Wireless Networking
July 1, 2004 11:38:45 PM

I got a free Linksys 802.11b router from my broadband provider and am
now in the market for a wireless notebook adapter. I am considering
the Belkin F5D7010 model, which actually supports 802.11g. I thought
that having a "g" card is better, as I will be able to go with faster
speeds if I go to an area where "g" reception is avaiable. Also, the
F5D7010 is the highest rated card for its price range.

The question is: will compatability be a problem? First, will Belkin
be compatible with Linksys, and second, will a "g" card be compatible
with a "b" router?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Andy Euroman
Anonymous
July 2, 2004 9:16:22 AM

"Andy Euroman" <euroman812@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I got a free Linksys 802.11b router from my broadband provider and am
> now in the market for a wireless notebook adapter. I am considering
> the Belkin F5D7010 model, which actually supports 802.11g. I thought
> that having a "g" card is better, as I will be able to go with faster
> speeds if I go to an area where "g" reception is avaiable. Also, the
> F5D7010 is the highest rated card for its price range.
>
> The question is: will compatability be a problem? First, will Belkin
> be compatible with Linksys, and second, will a "g" card be compatible
> with a "b" router?
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice.
>
> Andy Euroman

Yes and Yes. This is the upside of standards. As long as you only use
standard features, and not things like "turbo" or "nitro," then a Belkin
adapter will work fine with a Linksys access point or router. Also, 802.11g
devices will interoperate with 802.11b devices, but only at 802.11b speeds.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CCT+, etc.
Anonymous
July 2, 2004 9:16:23 AM

Don't use it. It is a big security reisk. do yourself a favor and just go
get a g router.
You will always be worried with a b router

"Ron Bandes" <RunderscoreBandes @yah00.com> wrote in message
> "Andy Euroman" <euroman812@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I got a free Linksys 802.11b router from my broadband provider and am
> > now in the market for a wireless notebook adapter. I am considering
> > the Belkin F5D7010 model, which actually supports 802.11g. I thought
> > that having a "g" card is better, as I will be able to go with faster
> > speeds if I go to an area where "g" reception is avaiable. Also, the
> > F5D7010 is the highest rated card for its price range.
> >
> > The question is: will compatability be a problem? First, will Belkin
> > be compatible with Linksys, and second, will a "g" card be compatible
> > with a "b" router?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any advice.
> >
> > Andy Euroman
>
> Yes and Yes. This is the upside of standards. As long as you only use
> standard features, and not things like "turbo" or "nitro," then a Belkin
> adapter will work fine with a Linksys access point or router. Also,
802.11g
> devices will interoperate with 802.11b devices, but only at 802.11b
speeds.

> Ron Bandes, CCNP, CCT+, etc.

Anonymous
July 2, 2004 11:32:04 AM

In article <pLudnYThjoL-lnjdRVn-ig@comcast.com>,
Tammy <Tammy@aTammy.com> wrote:
:D on't use it. It is a big security reisk. do yourself a favor and just go
:get a g router.
:You will always be worried with a b router

I -suspect- you aren't really talking about b vs g, but rather that
you are talking about WEP vs WPA. WPA is supported on -some- 802.11b
devices these days.. and you always have the option of running
IPSec instead of (or in addition to) WEP or WPA.
--
Scintillate, scintillate, globule vivific
Fain would I fathom thy nature specific.