Using 802.11g card with 802.11b router

I got a free Linksys 802.11b router from my broadband provider and am
now in the market for a wireless notebook adapter. I am considering
the Belkin F5D7010 model, which actually supports 802.11g. I thought
that having a "g" card is better, as I will be able to go with faster
speeds if I go to an area where "g" reception is avaiable. Also, the
F5D7010 is the highest rated card for its price range.

The question is: will compatability be a problem? First, will Belkin
be compatible with Linksys, and second, will a "g" card be compatible
with a "b" router?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Andy Euroman
3 answers Last reply
More about using card router

    "Andy Euroman" <euroman812@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I got a free Linksys 802.11b router from my broadband provider and am
    > now in the market for a wireless notebook adapter. I am considering
    > the Belkin F5D7010 model, which actually supports 802.11g. I thought
    > that having a "g" card is better, as I will be able to go with faster
    > speeds if I go to an area where "g" reception is avaiable. Also, the
    > F5D7010 is the highest rated card for its price range.
    >
    > The question is: will compatability be a problem? First, will Belkin
    > be compatible with Linksys, and second, will a "g" card be compatible
    > with a "b" router?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any advice.
    >
    > Andy Euroman

    Yes and Yes. This is the upside of standards. As long as you only use
    standard features, and not things like "turbo" or "nitro," then a Belkin
    adapter will work fine with a Linksys access point or router. Also, 802.11g
    devices will interoperate with 802.11b devices, but only at 802.11b speeds.

    Ron Bandes, CCNP, CCT+, etc.

    Don't use it. It is a big security reisk. do yourself a favor and just go
    get a g router.
    You will always be worried with a b router

    In article <pLudnYThjoL-lnjdRVn-ig@comcast.com>,
    Tammy <Tammy@aTammy.com> wrote:
    :Don't use it. It is a big security reisk. do yourself a favor and just go
    :get a g router.
    :You will always be worried with a b router

    I -suspect- you aren't really talking about b vs g, but rather that
    you are talking about WEP vs WPA. WPA is supported on -some- 802.11b
    devices these days.. and you always have the option of running
    IPSec instead of (or in addition to) WEP or WPA.
    --
    Scintillate, scintillate, globule vivific
    Fain would I fathom thy nature specific.

Routers WiFi Wireless Networking