Chinese Make Ubuntu That Looks Like Win XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

OMG, that's just awesome... That's an excellent way to trick your computer-illiterate friends and family into using free, open-source software.

h83

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
I have to say it looks cool and interesting! I´ve been thinking on trying Linux but every time i read about it, it just seems to complicated and strange but with this version of Linux, maybe i will give a (little) try...

ashrafpasha

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
It effectively makes Windows the role model for every OS.. Though I like the idea.. I don't like it. Because it cant do what windows can even though it look like one.

nevertell

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
Why do you have to ruin the beautiful gnome/kde desktop environment with this crap ? If a user whines about icons and bars not being where "they're supposed to be", then they haven't really understood the term "different OS", therefore they don't need a different OS.

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
its Xp :( i always considered xp a necessary evil... the only way to go for gaming >.< but i love linux for everything else especially how you can customize the entire look and feel to your liking. im not really sure who would this cater to... if an 11 year old (my nephew) can jump from xp to linux in a afternoon any one can.

twu

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2007
That would kill Microsoft if someone can write an emulator to install and run windows apps & third party window's apps.

logitic

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
It is scary how China is actually making everything they use in their own country. Maybe we should take some notes. They are becoming 100% self reliant.

twu

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2007
[citation][nom]logitic[/nom]It is scary how China is actually making everything they use in their own country. Maybe we should take some notes. They are becoming 100% self reliant.[/citation]

who is not?

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
I'm amazed that the Chinese are the only ones who get press. I strongly believe that Russians work along side with them. I have been seeing bootleg electronics trickling out of Russia through Chinese sources lately. It is amazing that there is relatively no news of the piracy capital of the world.

gnesterenko

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
[citation][nom]OSS_FTMFW[/nom]OMG, that's just awesome... That's an excellent way to trick your computer-illiterate friends and family into using free, open-source software.[/citation]
Right up until you try to install your Windows only software and realize you've been had. Nice.
"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]nevertell[/nom]Why do you have to ruin the beautiful gnome/kde desktop environment with this crap ? If a user whines about icons and bars not being where "they're supposed to be", then they haven't really understood the term "different OS", therefore they don't need a different OS.[/citation]

Buh? Now, this is just a matter of opinion, but I think Ubuntu's default GNOME desktop has to be the most hideous thing I've ever seen. That said, I don't really see how this is new, I've seen Linux desktops that have been dead ringers for Windows and OSX versions for years, the customization options of Linux has always been one of its best features IHMO.

plinkoblinko

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009
[citation][nom]ashrafpasha[/nom]It effectively makes Windows the role model for every OS.. Though I like the idea.. I don't like it. Because it cant do what windows can even though it look like one.[/citation]

I think we are all missing the point, It's not supposed to do what Windows does...it's still Linux.

I think it's kinda cool. Wish I knew Chinese...

"It is scary how China is actually making everything they use in their own country. Maybe we should take some notes. They are becoming 100% self reliant." - logitic

Well it would be that way in the US if we got rid of minimum wage, labor laws and environmental laws. As it was when we were the industrial powerhouse in the 1940's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS