Remote Assistance Broken

Hi all,

My remote assistance used to work fine but is now broken!

I am trying to use it on my home network which consists of a Linksys BEFSR41
and two PC's running XP and SP2, UPnP is enabled on both machines and on the
router.

I have MSN 6.2 and have also reinstalled Messenger within XP as I was unsure
if this is required in addition to MSN even if it is not running.

Mcafee firewall running

The problem I get is that I can request remote assistance from machine a to
machine b, machine b accepts and the help and support window opens. I then
get (still on machine b) a with called "Remote assistance -- Web Page
Dialog" which informs me "Remote Assistance failed, please try again"

Any ideas?
6 answers Last reply
More about remote assistance broken

    Did you ever resolve this problem? I have the same issue.

    Yes,

    See below....

    I finally fixed this, I notice a number of other people were suffering the
    same problem so hopefully someone else will benefit from my pain!

    I determined the problem was nothing to do with my router and only occurred
    when the request was made to one of my 4 PC's not from it.

    Re-installing SP2 was the answer, initially I installed it on all 4 machines
    from the Windows Update, this time I downloaded to 250Mb file from the
    Microsoft website and just ran the install again without removing the
    existing SP2.

    That fixed them all one by one!

    Hope this helps someone.

    Paul

    "Hondo1821" <hermes@lineone.net> wrote in message
    > Did you ever resolve this problem? I have the same issue.

    Paul,
    I can't thank you enough.
    For weeks I have read everything I could find about "remote assistance"
    problems.
    I udated my PnP NAT/Router firmware, I placed my PC in the DMZ, I manually
    opened ports, I installed "Active Ports", I disconnected my router,I turned
    off the XP firewall, I got my mom to drop her dial up and get cable - nothing
    worked.

    I read your post earlier today and tried it.
    I downloaded the 266MB SP2 file -not through windows upldate this time-
    I reinstalled SP2 from the downloaded file on both my systems and now Remote
    Assistance works!

    Any Idea how we let the Microsoft folks know that their Automatic Updates
    have a problem?

    -Mike

    "Mike_K" wrote:

    > Paul,
    > I can't thank you enough.
    > For weeks I have read everything I could find about "remote assistance"
    > problems.
    > I udated my PnP NAT/Router firmware, I placed my PC in the DMZ, I manually
    > opened ports, I installed "Active Ports", I disconnected my router,I turned
    > off the XP firewall, I got my mom to drop her dial up and get cable - nothing
    > worked.
    >
    > I read your post earlier today and tried it.
    > I downloaded the 266MB SP2 file -not through windows upldate this time-
    > I reinstalled SP2 from the downloaded file on both my systems and now Remote
    > Assistance works!
    >
    > Any Idea how we let the Microsoft folks know that their Automatic Updates
    > have a problem?
    >
    > -Mike
    >
    > "Paul Westwell" wrote:
    >
    > > Yes,
    > >
    > > See below....
    > >
    > > I finally fixed this, I notice a number of other people were suffering the
    > > same problem so hopefully someone else will benefit from my pain!
    > >
    > > I determined the problem was nothing to do with my router and only occurred
    > > when the request was made to one of my 4 PC's not from it.
    > >
    > > Re-installing SP2 was the answer, initially I installed it on all 4 machines
    > > from the Windows Update, this time I downloaded to 250Mb file from the
    > > Microsoft website and just ran the install again without removing the
    > > existing SP2.
    > >
    > > That fixed them all one by one!
    > >
    > > Hope this helps someone.
    > >
    > > Paul
    > >

    > > "Hondo1821" <hermes@lineone.net> wrote in message
    > > > Did you ever resolve this problem? I have the same issue.

    I have ordered and received the SP2 upograde CD.

    I have the same problem described with Remote Assistance.

    Does anyone know if re-installing SP2 from the CD is the same as downloading
    the 266Mb file (something i do not want to do if I do not have to).

    RIchard

    "Mike_K" wrote:

    > Paul,
    > I can't thank you enough.
    > For weeks I have read everything I could find about "remote assistance"
    > problems.
    > I udated my PnP NAT/Router firmware, I placed my PC in the DMZ, I manually
    > opened ports, I installed "Active Ports", I disconnected my router,I turned
    > off the XP firewall, I got my mom to drop her dial up and get cable - nothing
    > worked.
    >
    > I read your post earlier today and tried it.
    > I downloaded the 266MB SP2 file -not through windows upldate this time-
    > I reinstalled SP2 from the downloaded file on both my systems and now Remote
    > Assistance works!
    >
    > Any Idea how we let the Microsoft folks know that their Automatic Updates
    > have a problem?
    >
    > -Mike
    >
    > "Paul Westwell" wrote:
    >
    > > Yes,
    > >
    > > See below....
    > >
    > > I finally fixed this, I notice a number of other people were suffering the
    > > same problem so hopefully someone else will benefit from my pain!
    > >
    > > I determined the problem was nothing to do with my router and only occurred
    > > when the request was made to one of my 4 PC's not from it.
    > >
    > > Re-installing SP2 was the answer, initially I installed it on all 4 machines
    > > from the Windows Update, this time I downloaded to 250Mb file from the
    > > Microsoft website and just ran the install again without removing the
    > > existing SP2.
    > >
    > > That fixed them all one by one!
    > >
    > > Hope this helps someone.
    > >
    > > Paul
    > >

    > > "Hondo1821" <hermes@lineone.net> wrote in message
    > > > Did you ever resolve this problem? I have the same issue.

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    Hi Richard,

    It's the exact same bits.
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    "Richard_Cantin" <Richard_Cantin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have ordered and received the SP2 upograde CD.
    >
    > I have the same problem described with Remote Assistance.
    >
    > Does anyone know if re-installing SP2 from the CD is the same as downloading
    > the 266Mb file (something i do not want to do if I do not have to).
    >
    > RIchard
    >
    > "Mike_K" wrote:
    >
    >> Paul,
    >> I can't thank you enough.
    >> For weeks I have read everything I could find about "remote assistance"
    >> problems.
    >> I udated my PnP NAT/Router firmware, I placed my PC in the DMZ, I manually
    >> opened ports, I installed "Active Ports", I disconnected my router,I turned
    >> off the XP firewall, I got my mom to drop her dial up and get cable - nothing
    >> worked.
    >>
    >> I read your post earlier today and tried it.
    >> I downloaded the 266MB SP2 file -not through windows upldate this time-
    >> I reinstalled SP2 from the downloaded file on both my systems and now Remote
    >> Assistance works!
    >>
    >> Any Idea how we let the Microsoft folks know that their Automatic Updates
    >> have a problem?
    >>
    >> -Mike
    >>
    >> "Paul Westwell" wrote:
    >>
    >> > Yes,
    >> >
    >> > See below....
    >> >
    >> > I finally fixed this, I notice a number of other people were suffering the
    >> > same problem so hopefully someone else will benefit from my pain!
    >> >
    >> > I determined the problem was nothing to do with my router and only occurred
    >> > when the request was made to one of my 4 PC's not from it.
    >> >
    >> > Re-installing SP2 was the answer, initially I installed it on all 4 machines
    >> > from the Windows Update, this time I downloaded to 250Mb file from the
    >> > Microsoft website and just ran the install again without removing the
    >> > existing SP2.
    >> >
    >> > That fixed them all one by one!
    >> >
    >> > Hope this helps someone.
    >> >
    >> > Paul