Game will not load past the initial splash screen

Last response: in Video Games
March 14, 2005 3:47:32 AM

I'm hoping that someone has encountered this before or might know what is
causing this...

I bought Civilization III and installed it on a 64mb machine and it worked
fine. Recently I install another 256mb of RAM to a total of 320mb. At the
same time, I also installed a new 52x CD-RW drive. Since these changes, I can
attempt to start Civ3 and the initial "splash" screen will appear and then
immediately disappear but at no point in time does the game attempt to start
past this splash screen.

The scenario editor works fine. My new CD-RW drive works fine & my other
games work fine as well.

System Specs:
Compaq Presario
40gb HDD
320mb DDR RAM (originally 64mb)
8mb NVIDIA TNT2 Video Card
52x32x52 Pacific Digital CD-RW (originally the factory Compaq CD-ROM)

I have...

Made sure the CD is in the drive.

Tried to start the game from the desktop shortcut and the CD itself.

Uninstalled the game (and completely removed the game's registry entries) and
then reinstalled.

Tried with both the original, unpatched version of the game & then with the
latest patch.

Updated the display driver.

Updated the audio driver.

Updated the ASPI layer

Checked the CD-RW's DMA (and other) settings

Run diagnostics on DirectX 9.0c

and uninstalled both the new RAM & new CD-RW drive (reverting the hardware
back to where it was when the game had worked)

I have tried all of the steps above in a number of different combinations but
nothing has worked. I am open to suggestions and am hoping for any ideas. I
love this game and it's very aggrevating not being able to play it.

TIA

~ Theta Sigma
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 3:55:49 AM

I forgot to add that I am running Windows Millenium Edition. I have also
physically checked the game disk and it doesn't have a scratch or mark on it.

I have also ripped the game using Alcohol 120% and attempted to play via the
virtual drive but still have the same results.

Aside from the CivFanatics & forum, does anyone know where else I might be
able to find info on this problem?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

~ Theta Sigma

Theta Sigma <thetasigma@home.com> wrote in

> I'm hoping that someone has encountered this before or might know what
> is causing this...
>
> I bought Civilization III and installed it on a 64mb machine and it
> worked fine. Recently I install another 256mb of RAM to a total of
> 320mb. At the same time, I also installed a new 52x CD-RW drive. Since
> these changes, I can attempt to start Civ3 and the initial "splash"
> screen will appear and then immediately disappear but at no point in
> time does the game attempt to start past this splash screen.
>
> The scenario editor works fine. My new CD-RW drive works fine & my other
> games work fine as well.
>
> System Specs:
> Compaq Presario
> 40gb HDD
> 320mb DDR RAM (originally 64mb)
> 8mb NVIDIA TNT2 Video Card
> 52x32x52 Pacific Digital CD-RW (originally the factory Compaq CD-ROM)
>

> I have...
>
> Made sure the CD is in the drive.
>
> Tried to start the game from the desktop shortcut and the CD itself.
>
> Uninstalled the game (and completely removed the game's registry
> entries) and then reinstalled.
>
> Tried with both the original, unpatched version of the game & then with
> the latest patch.
>
> Updated the display driver.
>
> Updated the audio driver.
>
> Updated the ASPI layer
>
> Checked the CD-RW's DMA (and other) settings
>
> Run diagnostics on DirectX 9.0c
>
> and uninstalled both the new RAM & new CD-RW drive (reverting the
> hardware back to where it was when the game had worked)
>
> I have tried all of the steps above in a number of different
> combinations but nothing has worked. I am open to suggestions and am
> hoping for any ideas. I love this game and it's very aggrevating not
> being able to play it.
>
> TIA
>
> ~ Theta Sigma

Anonymous
March 14, 2005 7:42:20 AM

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 00:47:32 GMT, Theta Sigma <thetasigma@home.com>
wrote:

>I'm hoping that someone has encountered this before or might know what is
>causing this...
>
>I bought Civilization III and installed it on a 64mb machine and it worked
>fine. Recently I install another 256mb of RAM to a total of 320mb. At the
>same time, I also installed a new 52x CD-RW drive. Since these changes, I can
>attempt to start Civ3 and the initial "splash" screen will appear and then
>immediately disappear but at no point in time does the game attempt to start
>past this splash screen.

Failure to start there suggests a copy protection problem. It is
possible that the new CD drive isn't compatible with the copy
protection.

>The scenario editor works fine. My new CD-RW drive works fine & my other
>games work fine as well.
>
>System Specs:
>Compaq Presario
>40gb HDD
>320mb DDR RAM (originally 64mb)
>8mb NVIDIA TNT2 Video Card
>52x32x52 Pacific Digital CD-RW (originally the factory Compaq CD-ROM)
>

>I have...
>
>Made sure the CD is in the drive.
>
>Tried to start the game from the desktop shortcut and the CD itself.
>
>Uninstalled the game (and completely removed the game's registry entries) and
>then reinstalled.
>
>Tried with both the original, unpatched version of the game & then with the
>latest patch.
>
>Updated the display driver.
>
>Updated the audio driver.
>
>Updated the ASPI layer
>
>Checked the CD-RW's DMA (and other) settings
>
>Run diagnostics on DirectX 9.0c
>
>and uninstalled both the new RAM & new CD-RW drive (reverting the hardware
>back to where it was when the game had worked)
>
>I have tried all of the steps above in a number of different combinations but
>nothing has worked. I am open to suggestions and am hoping for any ideas. I
>love this game and it's very aggrevating not being able to play it.
>
>TIA
>
>~ Theta Sigma

** Muskego WI Access Channel 14/25 <http://www.execpc.com/~jeffsj/mach7/&gt;
*Starfire Design Studio* <http://www.starfiredesign.com/&gt;
March 15, 2005 10:20:05 AM

Jeffery S. Jones <jeffsj@execpc.com> wrote in

> On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 00:47:32 GMT, Theta Sigma <thetasigma@home.com>
> wrote:
>
>>I'm hoping that someone has encountered this before or might know what
>>is causing this...
>>
>>I bought Civilization III and installed it on a 64mb machine and it
>>worked fine. Recently I install another 256mb of RAM to a total of
>>320mb. At the same time, I also installed a new 52x CD-RW drive. Since
>>these changes, I can attempt to start Civ3 and the initial "splash"
>>screen will appear and then immediately disappear but at no point in
>>time does the game attempt to start past this splash screen.
>

> Failure to start there suggests a copy protection problem. It is
> possible that the new CD drive isn't compatible with the copy
> protection.

Thank you for replying. I have read a lot on this issue. The problem is that
I have tried installing and playing on all of my CD Drives individually
(including the original). As noted, I also reinstalled everything just as it
was when the game had worked. Still no luck.

~Theta Sigma
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 1:00:36 PM

> I have also ripped the game using Alcohol 120% and attempted to play via
> the
> virtual drive but still have the same results.

I've heard and experienced that some copyproctections will prevent the
disc from being used when certain Disc copying programs are used. I
experienced this once with CloneCD and I game I can't remember, and this was
when trying to use the original CD. It detected the presense of CloneCD and
wouldn't start. It may have been Civ3 as it has been cranky the odd time
over the years. Don't know if it applies to Alcohol 120% or not.

Sorry I don't have more specifics. Best of Luck!

Swiftfoot
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 1:46:35 PM

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 07:20:05 GMT, Theta Sigma <thetasigma@home.com>
wrote:

>Jeffery S. Jones <jeffsj@execpc.com> wrote in
>
>> On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 00:47:32 GMT, Theta Sigma <thetasigma@home.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I'm hoping that someone has encountered this before or might know what
>>>is causing this...
>>>
>>>I bought Civilization III and installed it on a 64mb machine and it
>>>worked fine. Recently I install another 256mb of RAM to a total of
>>>320mb. At the same time, I also installed a new 52x CD-RW drive. Since
>>>these changes, I can attempt to start Civ3 and the initial "splash"
>>>screen will appear and then immediately disappear but at no point in
>>>time does the game attempt to start past this splash screen.
>>

>> Failure to start there suggests a copy protection problem. It is
>> possible that the new CD drive isn't compatible with the copy
>> protection.
>>

>Thank you for replying. I have read a lot on this issue. The problem is that
>I have tried installing and playing on all of my CD Drives individually
>(including the original). As noted, I also reinstalled everything just as it
>was when the game had worked. Still no luck.

It could be the CD itself. If it gets scratched, the copy
protection may fail, or the game read from the disc might.

Finding a no-CD patch for your game, or installing it on a different
computer, should test this. If it doesn't work on another computer,
then it has to do with the CD itself. A no-CD patch would test
whether it is a problem with the program itself, rather than copy
protection.
** Muskego WI Access Channel 14/25 <http://www.execpc.com/~jeffsj/mach7/&gt;
*Starfire Design Studio* <http://www.starfiredesign.com/&gt;
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 10:28:46 PM

Jeffery S. Jones <jeffsj@execpc.com> wrote in

<snip>

>>Thank you for replying. I have read a lot on this issue. The problem is
>>that I have tried installing and playing on all of my CD Drives
>>individually (including the original). As noted, I also reinstalled
>>everything just as it was when the game had worked. Still no luck.
>
> It could be the CD itself. If it gets scratched, the copy
> protection may fail, or the game read from the disc might.
>
> Finding a no-CD patch for your game, or installing it on a different
> computer, should test this. If it doesn't work on another computer,
> then it has to do with the CD itself. A no-CD patch would test
> whether it is a problem with the program itself, rather than copy
> protection.

Thanks everyone. I got it working finally.

It seems that you were right Jeff. The copy protection was the problem after
all. I found no-cd patches for 1.07 & 1.29f and both work flawlessly.

Too bad I spent all night reinstalling my OS trying to fix the problem. It
needed it anyways I guess.

I wonder why it happened all of a sudden? Reinstalling Windows didn't even
help. Faulty registry entry maybe?

Anyways, I'm off to conquer the world...again.

Thanks again!!
!