Can't receive file transfers

October 23, 2004 1:42:25 PM

Hi

I can receive file transfer though messenger 6.2 they
fail everytime.

Does anybody know what I need to do.

If I go into msn messenger tool, options, messenges and
remove the tick in the "scan files for viruses using:"
and remove norton it works but surely this isn't safe.

Any suggestion
Cheers

More about : receive file transfers

Anonymous
October 23, 2004 8:33:16 PM

This sort of issue can occur if you're behind a non-UPnP firewall. If you
are, and have administrator access to the router, open ports TCP ports 6891
to 6900.

Post back if you still have problems with it. Personally, I avoid
file-trading via MSN because of how slow it is. With Gmail, I just email
files back and forth (not that I'm advertising Gmail or anything...)

Michael Katz
[Microsoft MVP - MSN Client]
"There's no I in 'team' but there is 'me'"
http://msmvps.com/msntral

This posting is provided 'AS IS' with no warranties, and confers no rights.

"swfcno1" <swfcno1@msn.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I can receive file transfer though messenger 6.2 they
> fail everytime.
>
> Does anybody know what I need to do.
>
> If I go into msn messenger tool, options, messenges and
> remove the tick in the "scan files for viruses using:"
> and remove norton it works but surely this isn't safe.
>
> Any suggestion
> Cheers
Anonymous
October 23, 2004 8:42:22 PM

Hi,

Actually, contrary to popular belief all over the web, MSN Messenger 6.x. doesn't use ports
6891-6900 TCP exclusively for file transfer anymore; it's a dynamic range (6720 - 65535).

If both users are using MSN Messenger 6.x, the protocol allows for the file to be sent
through the server and as such, this would just work (albeit slowly). As such, we'll assume
the other contact is using another [older] client and therefore using the old protocol.
Using the old protocol, *receiving* files is actually an outgoing connection to your contact,
so a router makes no difference at all, the problem is on the contacts' side.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"Michael Katz [MVP]" <michaelk[AT]mvps.org> wrote in message
news:o 6HCK%23TuEHA.2508@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> This sort of issue can occur if you're behind a non-UPnP firewall. If you are, and have
> administrator access to the router, open ports TCP ports 6891 to 6900.
>
> Post back if you still have problems with it. Personally, I avoid file-trading via MSN
> because of how slow it is. With Gmail, I just email files back and forth (not that I'm
> advertising Gmail or anything...)

> Michael Katz
> [Microsoft MVP - MSN Client]
> "There's no I in 'team' but there is 'me'"
> http://msmvps.com/msntral
>
> This posting is provided 'AS IS' with no warranties, and confers no rights.
>

> "swfcno1" <swfcno1@msn.com> wrote in message news:0ed601c4b91f$46d20430$a301280a@phx.gbl...
>> Hi
>>
>> I can receive file transfer though messenger 6.2 they
>> fail everytime.
>>
>> Does anybody know what I need to do.
>>
>> If I go into msn messenger tool, options, messenges and
>> remove the tick in the "scan files for viruses using:"
>> and remove norton it works but surely this isn't safe.
>>
>> Any suggestion
>> Cheers

October 23, 2004 9:04:39 PM

Hi,

What's the exact error you're seeing, does it actually say "Virus scan could not be
completed. Please check your settings in Tools > Options > Messages."?

All in all, it isn't that bad if you turn the automatic virus scanning off as when you run a
file, Norton will scan it anyway (assuming you have AutoProtect engaged).
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"swfcno1" <swfcno1@msn.com> wrote in message news:0ed601c4b91f$46d20430$a301280a@phx.gbl...
> Hi
>
> I can receive file transfer though messenger 6.2 they
> fail everytime.
>
> Does anybody know what I need to do.
>
> If I go into msn messenger tool, options, messenges and
> remove the tick in the "scan files for viruses using:"
> and remove norton it works but surely this isn't safe.
>
> Any suggestion
> Cheers
Anonymous
October 24, 2004 3:38:45 AM

Jon, what're you doing to me? You're upstaging me at every turn :)  You're
the evil Inspector Dreyfus to my Inspector Clouseau... Anyway, thanks for
correcting me on the issue. Every source I've seen points to the old port
range. I'll be sure to yell at them accordingly.

news:o J83QDUuEHA.1292@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
>
> Actually, contrary to popular belief all over the web, MSN Messenger 6.x.
> doesn't use ports 6891-6900 TCP exclusively for file transfer anymore;
> it's a dynamic range (6720 - 65535).
>
> If both users are using MSN Messenger 6.x, the protocol allows for the
> file to be sent through the server and as such, this would just work
> (albeit slowly). As such, we'll assume the other contact is using another
> [older] client and therefore using the old protocol. Using the old
> protocol, *receiving* files is actually an outgoing connection to your
> contact, so a router makes no difference at all, the problem is on the
> contacts' side.
> Jonathan Kay
> Associate Expert
>
> "Michael Katz [MVP]" <michaelk[AT]mvps.org> wrote in message
> news:o 6HCK%23TuEHA.2508@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> This sort of issue can occur if you're behind a non-UPnP firewall. If you
>> are, and have administrator access to the router, open ports TCP ports
>> 6891 to 6900.
>>
>> Post back if you still have problems with it. Personally, I avoid
>> file-trading via MSN because of how slow it is. With Gmail, I just email
>> files back and forth (not that I'm advertising Gmail or anything...)
>>
>> --
>> Michael Katz
>> [Microsoft MVP - MSN Client]
>> "There's no I in 'team' but there is 'me'"
>> http://msmvps.com/msntral
>>
>> This posting is provided 'AS IS' with no warranties, and confers no
>> rights.
>>

>> "swfcno1" <swfcno1@msn.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I can receive file transfer though messenger 6.2 they
>>> fail everytime.
>>>
>>> Does anybody know what I need to do.
>>>
>>> If I go into msn messenger tool, options, messenges and
>>> remove the tick in the "scan files for viruses using:"
>>> and remove norton it works but surely this isn't safe.
>>>
>>> Any suggestion
>>> Cheers

Anonymous
October 24, 2004 6:50:17 AM

> Jon, what're you doing to me? You're upstaging me at every turn :)  You're the evil
> Inspector Dreyfus to my Inspector Clouseau... Anyway, thanks for correcting me on the
> issue. Every source I've seen points to the old port range. I'll be sure to yell at them
> accordingly.

> Michael Katz
> [Microsoft MVP - MSN Client]
> "There's no I in 'team' but there is 'me'"
> http://msmvps.com/msntral
>
> This posting is provided 'AS IS' with no warranties, and confers no rights.
>

> "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> wrote in message
> news:o J83QDUuEHA.1292@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> Hi,
>>
>> Actually, contrary to popular belief all over the web, MSN Messenger 6.x. doesn't use
>> ports 6891-6900 TCP exclusively for file transfer anymore; it's a dynamic range (6720 -
>> 65535).
>>
>> If both users are using MSN Messenger 6.x, the protocol allows for the file to be sent
>> through the server and as such, this would just work (albeit slowly). As such, we'll
>> assume the other contact is using another [older] client and therefore using the old
>> protocol. Using the old protocol, *receiving* files is actually an outgoing connection to
>> your contact, so a router makes no difference at all, the problem is on the contacts'
>> side.
>> Jonathan Kay
>> Associate Expert
>>
>> "Michael Katz [MVP]" <michaelk[AT]mvps.org> wrote in message
>> news:o 6HCK%23TuEHA.2508@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>>> This sort of issue can occur if you're behind a non-UPnP firewall. If you are, and have
>>> administrator access to the router, open ports TCP ports 6891 to 6900.
>>>
>>> Post back if you still have problems with it. Personally, I avoid file-trading via MSN
>>> because of how slow it is. With Gmail, I just email files back and forth (not that I'm
>>> advertising Gmail or anything...)
>>>
>>> --
>>> Michael Katz
>>> [Microsoft MVP - MSN Client]
>>> "There's no I in 'team' but there is 'me'"
>>> http://msmvps.com/msntral
>>>
>>> This posting is provided 'AS IS' with no warranties, and confers no rights.
>>>

>>> "swfcno1" <swfcno1@msn.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
October 25, 2004 5:34:11 PM

Hi,

I have remove whatever was in "Scan file for viruses
using" so now it's blank and I can receive files.

Before when Norton was selected I would get the following
error message "failed to receive file xxx.avi from xxxx"
followed by "successfully received file xxx.avi from
xxxx" but when I go to the "File Transfer folder" it's
blank.

Please help totally confused.

Jonathan Kay.

>"swfcno1" <swfcno1@msn.com> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> I can receive file transfer though messenger 6.2 they
>> fail everytime.
>>
>> Does anybody know what I need to do.
>>
>> If I go into msn messenger tool, options, messenges and
>> remove the tick in the "scan files for viruses using:"
>> and remove norton it works but surely this isn't safe.
>>
>> Any suggestion
>> Cheers
>

>.

Anonymous
April 4, 2005 10:31:05 PM

OK, my problem is similar. I upgraded to Windows Messenger a week or so ago
and since then I have NOT been able to send or receive any files that are
more than a few KB. I keep getting some firewall error, even after I turn it
off. My cousin was able to send me a small JPG, but I frequently use
Messenger to exchange original music files with my producers. This problem is
really cramping my productivity (and making me use another program because I
don't have the same issues with AIM).

Why all of the sudden am I experiencing this issue? HELLLLLLLPPPP!

!