best government in modern times ?

Usually once i switch to monarchy i stay with it for the rest of the
game. I tried switching to democracy in modern times but because i was
at war all my cities became unproductive and started shrinking.

Any opinions ?

--
Eps

http://ukcomment.blogspot.com/

A UK political Blog
3 answers Last reply
More about best government modern times
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 12:43:57 +0100, Eps <eps@mailinator.com> wrote:

    >Usually once i switch to monarchy i stay with it for the rest of the
    >game. I tried switching to democracy in modern times but because i was
    >at war all my cities became unproductive and started shrinking.
    >
    >Any opinions ?

    Monarchy or Republic are your best choice for the early game, in
    Conquests. Republic outstrips Monarchy in commerce, which means more
    science. Before Conquests, the military disadvantages of Republic
    didn't outweigh this benefit, so it is best to switch to Republic even
    if you are planning to fight wars. If playing Conquests, Monarchy is
    better balanced.

    In either case, Monarchy is better for wartime expansion. If you
    are rarely at peace, and are constantly growing/conquering, Monarchy
    is great. But if you have long periods of peace, Republic will blow
    Monarchy away in terms of science.

    Republic and Democracy both suffer from war weariness. But that can
    be countered, first with Universal Suffrage (Great Wonder), and then
    with Police Stations. Republic is quite tolerable, competitive with
    Monarchy during war once you have these things. Democracy is harder
    hit -- it can be difficult to wage long wars while at Democracy no
    matter what you have.

    Communism is a better modern era alternative to Monarchy for huge
    empires. If you plan to conquer the entire world -- or at least, the
    amount needed for a domination win -- this is the ideal government.
    It loses science, but makes up for it in volume if your empire is big
    enough. You want to be more than twice the Optimum Number Of Cities
    (4x the number which triggers the availability of the Forbidden
    Palace), as otherwise, the increase in corruption in core homeland
    cities won't be made up for in the distant provinces.

    I often stick with Democracy once I get it. If you can keep your
    wars quick and victorious -- no more than 20 turns, and at least a 20
    turn gap between wars -- the unhappiness is manageable and the science
    output is amazingly great.

  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    Assuming your non-relgious your best govt for the Modern era when you
    make it to then is almost always whichever govt you were in by the time
    the industrial ages ended.

    And the best govt for the Industrial era for a peaceful player is
    whichever they were in by the end of the middle ages.
    (A war mongler might switch to Commie or Fascism. Exact one depends
    mostly upon how much territory they already have. )

    What's more interesting is the middle ages.

    Non religious player shouldn't switch from Republic to Democracy
    (Conquests stock rules) Insufficent benifit to Democracy to be worth
    seven to nine turns anarchy. (Size of empire is probably going to
    preclude less than 7 turns for this switch)

    In addition, a non relgious player should only be in one of (Republic /
    Monarchy / Fedualism). The five to nine turns still isn't worth it.

    Other than that, there's several choices.

    A war mongler with little fresh water in the core (non-agricultural) is
    best off non-relgious bypassing the optional ancient era techs and
    proceeding directly to the middle ages and Fedualism and switching to
    Fedualism. Then proceed to either Knighs (or Knight replacement UU) or
    in Scanvaindalls case Berskers. Then keep expanding until Democracy
    advaible. Or alternatively keep fighting until you acheive domination.
    On a Pangena, it is very doable to achieve domination with plan old
    Knights. (Athough you may want to move up a level.) Yes, it's true that
    Fedualism has low WW, but this is laughable with the up to three units
    enforcing martial law. For that matter, military tactics that minimize
    combat outside your cultural boundary and particularly your unit loses
    works wonders.

    A early middle ages peaceful player should switch to Republic as soon
    as his empire can support enough units to discourage AI agressive. This
    is extremely # of size 7+ cities dependent under stock rules for
    Vanilla. Also AI agressiveness level dependent on the margins. Road
    development and Marketplaces also matter. A player that likes to be
    peaceful until Calvary (or their Calvary replacement UU) should follow
    the same stategry. They'll build up their economy sufficent to handle
    the number of needed units by then. Republic's WW will not collapse a
    govt.

    A war mongler with sufficent fresh water core cities would proceed to
    Monarchy and switch upon being reserached.

    Note that Democracy level WW can collapse a govt. But again, proper
    military tactacs while fighting can eliminate it.
    If it does collapse though, pick either Commie or Fascism if the war
    isn't over by the time the anarchy ends unless you enjoy anarchy. (If
    you really want to fight, you are procceding towards a domination
    victory mode and not a peaceful one.)
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 12:43:57 +0100, Eps <eps@mailinator.com> wrote:

    >Usually once i switch to monarchy i stay with it for the rest of the
    >game. I tried switching to democracy in modern times but because i was
    >at war all my cities became unproductive and started shrinking.
    >
    >Any opinions ?

    I like Communism for fighting wars late in the game. The disadvantage
    is you cannot pay for upgrades and your income drops a bit. If are
    researching in more than four turns you can dump the extra cash toward
    that. Your lesser income can be made up for by reducing the cost of a
    large army. You can build the Secret Police Headquarters to increase
    your optimal number of cities and lower corruption. Since corruption
    is communal the distance cities you capture can start adding value to
    your civ right away. With a large civ this means you can have many
    more cities producing something of value.

    Democracy is o.k. if you kill off all your foreign nationals and build
    whatever you can to keep people happy. For instance if you successful
    defend yourself from a sneak attack people will cheer. If you are at
    war a long time, suffer serious attack damage, or commit acts like
    razing cites or drafting your people get unhappy quickly.

Switch Games Video Games