More Civ 4 Suggestions

Hello again,

This is a suggestion that has nothing to do with the core mechanics of
the game, only looks.

I would like to see each culture have thier own units as far as the
look of the unit. An infantry man in the Korean army should look
different than a Russian infantry man. Units would have the same A/D/M
values.

Also, each culture should have different looking cities.

"Proj_Eng" <richardm@orthoorganizers.com> wrote in message
> Hello again,
>
> This is a suggestion that has nothing to do with the core mechanics of
> the game, only looks.
>
> I would like to see each culture have thier own units as far as the
> look of the unit. An infantry man in the Korean army should look
> different than a Russian infantry man. Units would have the same A/D/M
> values.
>
> Also, each culture should have different looking cities.

That would be great so long as I don't have to buy a new hard drive to hold
all those graphics files. And I don't want to delete my civ ii or civ iii
in order to do so....

>That would be great so long as I don't have to buy a new hard drive to hold
>all those graphics files. And I don't want to delete my civ ii or civ iii
>in order to do so....

Civ 4 is going to be in 3D. If your computer is so out of date it
cannot handle a few CD's your going to need a new computer to play Civ
4.

P12 pretended :

>> That would be great so long as I don't have to buy a new hard drive to hold
>> all those graphics files. And I don't want to delete my civ ii or civ iii
>> in order to do so....
>
> Civ 4 is going to be in 3D. If your computer is so out of date it
> cannot handle a few CD's your going to need a new computer to play Civ
> 4.

Heh... computers go out of date so fast, it's just silly.
I'd personally like to see linked maps like they had in Civ2 Test of
Time... you could develop and conquer Earth and Alpha Centauri all at
once... the gameplay seemed so fluid.

--
As we passed on
It seemed as if those scenes

--- Meriwether Lewis.

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 04:11:27 GMT, Dawnseeker
<nospam_dawnseeker3@excite.com> wrote:

>Heh... computers go out of date so fast, it's just silly.
>I'd personally like to see linked maps like they had in Civ2 Test of
>Time... you could develop and conquer Earth and Alpha Centauri all at
>once... the gameplay seemed so fluid.

I am just saying I thought the makers seemed to be focusing on making
things look pretty and cool, rather than improving the functional
aspect of the game. I already like the looks of civ and I would
settle on any game improvements like you just mentioned.

Computers are going out of date much slower than they where. My
existing computer is the first I have owned which I could just slap a
new CPU into.

Here is my tentative wishlist for CIV4 and beyond.....

I would like to date the demure female librarian on my battle leaves or go to the movies or date local girls from the city my troops just captured. I would also like to sell condom machines for a trade.

On 21 Apr 2005 11:47:46 -0700
"Proj_Eng" <richardm@orthoorganizers.com> wrote:

> Hello again,
>
> This is a suggestion that has nothing to do with the core mechanics of
> the game, only looks.
>
> I would like to see each culture have thier own units as far as the
> look of the unit. An infantry man in the Korean army should look
> different than a Russian infantry man. Units would have the same A/D/M
> values.
>
> Also, each culture should have different looking cities.

Here is my tentative wishlist for CIV4 and beyond.....

I would like to date the demure female librarian on my battle leaves or go to the movies or date local girls from the city my troops just captured. I would also like to sell condom machines for a trade.

On 21 Apr 2005 11:47:46 -0700
"Proj_Eng" <richardm@orthoorganizers.com> wrote:

> Hello again,
>
> This is a suggestion that has nothing to do with the core mechanics of
> the game, only looks.
>
> I would like to see each culture have thier own units as far as the
> look of the unit. An infantry man in the Korean army should look
> different than a Russian infantry man. Units would have the same A/D/M
> values.
>
> Also, each culture should have different looking cities.

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 04:11:27 GMT, Dawnseeker
<nospam_dawnseeker3@excite.com> wrote:

>P12 pretended :
>>
>>> That would be great so long as I don't have to buy a new hard drive to hold
>>> all those graphics files. And I don't want to delete my civ ii or civ iii
>>> in order to do so....
>>
>> Civ 4 is going to be in 3D. If your computer is so out of date it
>> cannot handle a few CD's your going to need a new computer to play Civ
>> 4.
>
>Heh... computers go out of date so fast, it's just silly.

It is getting slower. Not slothlike, but it is more likely that
your computer won't get game-obsolete for a couple of years than ever
before.

>I'd personally like to see linked maps like they had in Civ2 Test of
>Time... you could develop and conquer Earth and Alpha Centauri all at
>once... the gameplay seemed so fluid.

The layered map idea was interesting, and would be fun to have
around. It adding something to the SF and fantasy sorts of scenarios,
but wouldn't be much help for the historical and planet-based
situations, which is the Civ focus after all.

It would be nice if, in the historical scenarios, the maps could be bigger
so that more cities etc., could be built.

Having the UK with the capability of only half a dozen cities, all
overlapping in their "territory" is a bit ridiculous.

--
Cheers
Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway
http://www.highspeedplus.com/~rogertra/

David

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 20:49:34 -0400, P12 <nowhere@all.com> typed
furiously:

>>That would be great so long as I don't have to buy a new hard drive to hold
>>all those graphics files. And I don't want to delete my civ ii or civ iii
>>in order to do so....
>
>Civ 4 is going to be in 3D. If your computer is so out of date it
>cannot handle a few CD's your going to need a new computer to play Civ
>4.

Just so long as it doesn't put its saved game files in the "My
Documents" directory á la "Empire Earth II" or "Deus Ex: Invisible
War". That really pisses me off.
..
--
David
Remove "farook" to reply

"David" <farookdas@picknowl.com.au> wrote in message
> On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 20:49:34 -0400, P12 <nowhere@all.com> typed
> furiously:
>

> >>That would be great so long as I don't have to buy a new hard drive to
hold
> >>all those graphics files. And I don't want to delete my civ ii or civ
iii
> >>in order to do so....
> >
> >Civ 4 is going to be in 3D. If your computer is so out of date it
> >cannot handle a few CD's your going to need a new computer to play Civ
> >4.
>
> Just so long as it doesn't put its saved game files in the "My
> Documents" directory á la "Empire Earth II" or "Deus Ex: Invisible
> War".

And Max Payne.

On Sat, 14 May 2005 16:21:52 +0930, David <farookdas@picknowl.com.au>
wrote:

>On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 20:49:34 -0400, P12 <nowhere@all.com> typed
>furiously:
>

>>>That would be great so long as I don't have to buy a new hard drive to hold
>>>all those graphics files. And I don't want to delete my civ ii or civ iii
>>>in order to do so....
>>
>>Civ 4 is going to be in 3D. If your computer is so out of date it
>>cannot handle a few CD's your going to need a new computer to play Civ
>>4.
>
>Just so long as it doesn't put its saved game files in the "My
>Documents" directory á la "Empire Earth II" or "Deus Ex: Invisible
>War". That really pisses me off.
..
And what's wrong with that? That's where an XP-compatible program is
supposed to put them. Otherwise someone with user level access won't
be able to save them.

David

On Sat, 14 May 2005 08:16:13 GMT, "Mother Farquhar" <fake@ddress.com>
typed furiously:

>"David" <farookdas@picknowl.com.au> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 20:49:34 -0400, P12 <nowhere@all.com> typed
>> furiously:

>hold
>iii
>> >
>> >Civ 4 is going to be in 3D. If your computer is so out of date it
>> >cannot handle a few CD's your going to need a new computer to play Civ
>> >4.
>>
>> Just so long as it doesn't put its saved game files in the "My
>> Documents" directory á la "Empire Earth II" or "Deus Ex: Invisible
>> War".
>
>And Max Payne.

Thanks. Another one I will not be buying.

--

"Loren Pechtel" <lorenpechtel@removethis.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 14 May 2005 16:21:52 +0930, David <farookdas@picknowl.com.au>
> wrote:
<snip>

> >Just so long as it doesn't put its saved game files in the "My
> >Documents" directory á la "Empire Earth II" or "Deus Ex: Invisible
> >War". That really pisses me off.
> .
> And what's wrong with that? That's where an XP-compatible program is
> supposed to put them. Otherwise someone with user level access won't
> be able to save them.

Yep. XP security is bad enough without being forced to be online using an
administrator profile. Of course, you should be able to set a sub-directory
up to put them into.

--
Errol Cavit | errolGEEcee@hotmail.com "[He] understood the language of the
stars, the children of the lord of light, Tane-nui-a-rangi; he conversed

David

On Sun, 15 May 2005 09:13:55 +1200, "Errol Cavit" <errolc@hotmail.com>
typed furiously:

>"Loren Pechtel" <lorenpechtel@removethis.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 14 May 2005 16:21:52 +0930, David <farookdas@picknowl.com.au>
>> wrote:
><snip>
>> >
>> >Just so long as it doesn't put its saved game files in the "My
>> >Documents" directory á la "Empire Earth II" or "Deus Ex: Invisible
>> >War". That really pisses me off.
>> .
>> And what's wrong with that? That's where an XP-compatible program is
>> supposed to put them. Otherwise someone with user level access won't
>> be able to save them.
>
>Yep. XP security is bad enough without being forced to be online using an
>administrator profile. Of course, you should be able to set a sub-directory
>up to put them into.

I'm objecting to the fact that I do not even get asked. I have no
choice in the matter and I do not want my small C: drive filled with
saved games.

--

On Sun, 15 May 2005 18:33:37 +0930, David <farookdas@picknowl.com.au>
wrote:

>On Sun, 15 May 2005 09:13:55 +1200, "Errol Cavit" <errolc@hotmail.com>
>typed furiously:
>

>>"Loren Pechtel" <lorenpechtel@removethis.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> On Sat, 14 May 2005 16:21:52 +0930, David <farookdas@picknowl.com.au>
>>> wrote:
>><snip>

>>> .
>>> And what's wrong with that? That's where an XP-compatible program is
>>> supposed to put them. Otherwise someone with user level access won't
>>> be able to save them.
>>
>>Yep. XP security is bad enough without being forced to be online using an
>>administrator profile. Of course, you should be able to set a sub-directory
>>up to put them into.
>
>I'm objecting to the fact that I do not even get asked. I have no
>choice in the matter and I do not want my small C: drive filled with
>saved games.

Put My Documents on another larger drive then. If I were running a
small system drive or partition, I'd definitely do that, because a
*lot* of apps put stuff in My Documents. It isn't hard to change it.

I do like having an option to use either a single directory or a
per-user directory. But it isn't a hassle really either way, as long
as the game isn't one with a low, finite number of save "slots".
Those sorts are a hassle, because you can't keep a load of old saves
around unless you set up many users.

wrote:

>On Sun, 15 May 2005 09:13:55 +1200, "Errol Cavit" <errolc@hotmail.com>
>typed furiously:
>

>>"Loren Pechtel" <lorenpechtel@removethis.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> On Sat, 14 May 2005 16:21:52 +0930, David <farookdas@picknowl.com.au>
>>> wrote:
>><snip>

>>> .
>>> And what's wrong with that? That's where an XP-compatible program is
>>> supposed to put them. Otherwise someone with user level access won't
>>> be able to save them.
>>
>>Yep. XP security is bad enough without being forced to be online using an
>>administrator profile. Of course, you should be able to set a sub-directory
>>up to put them into.
>
>I'm objecting to the fact that I do not even get asked. I have no
>choice in the matter and I do not want my small C: drive filled with
>saved games.

I think it's possible to direct the Application Data directory to
another drive. I've never tried to, however.

David

On Sun, 15 May 2005 10:57:48 -0500, Jeffery S. Jones
<jeffsj@execpc.com> typed furiously:

>On Sun, 15 May 2005 18:33:37 +0930, David <farookdas@picknowl.com.au>
>wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 15 May 2005 09:13:55 +1200, "Errol Cavit" <errolc@hotmail.com>
>>typed furiously:
>>

>>>"Loren Pechtel" <lorenpechtel@removethis.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>><snip>

>>>Yep. XP security is bad enough without being forced to be online using an
>>>administrator profile. Of course, you should be able to set a sub-directory
>>>up to put them into.
>>
>>I'm objecting to the fact that I do not even get asked. I have no
>>choice in the matter and I do not want my small C: drive filled with
>>saved games.
>
> Put My Documents on another larger drive then. If I were running a
>small system drive or partition, I'd definitely do that, because a
>*lot* of apps put stuff in My Documents. It isn't hard to change it.
>
> I do like having an option to use either a single directory or a
>per-user directory. But it isn't a hassle really either way, as long
>as the game isn't one with a low, finite number of save "slots".
>Those sorts are a hassle, because you can't keep a load of old saves
>around unless you set up many users.

I am complaining that I do not get given any option. The files are
automatically put in the My Documents directory without any other
option at all.

Most games that allow you to sign on as different users used to create
a directory, in the game directory, with the name of the user or a
number. My saved games went into the directory labeled with my user
name/play name. That has the advantage of keeping all the files
belonging to that game in one location which makes uninstalling a
snap.

What do you mean you never uninstall a game?

--

On Mon, 16 May 2005 23:29:46 +0930, David <farookdas@picknowl.com.au>
wrote:

>On Sun, 15 May 2005 10:57:48 -0500, Jeffery S. Jones
><jeffsj@execpc.com> typed furiously:
>
>>On Sun, 15 May 2005 18:33:37 +0930, David <farookdas@picknowl.com.au>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>On Sun, 15 May 2005 09:13:55 +1200, "Errol Cavit" <errolc@hotmail.com>
>>>typed furiously:

>>>I'm objecting to the fact that I do not even get asked. I have no
>>>choice in the matter and I do not want my small C: drive filled with
>>>saved games.
>>
>> Put My Documents on another larger drive then. If I were running a
>>small system drive or partition, I'd definitely do that, because a
>>*lot* of apps put stuff in My Documents. It isn't hard to change it.
>>
>> I do like having an option to use either a single directory or a
>>per-user directory. But it isn't a hassle really either way, as long
>>as the game isn't one with a low, finite number of save "slots".
>>Those sorts are a hassle, because you can't keep a load of old saves
>>around unless you set up many users.
>
>I am complaining that I do not get given any option. The files are
>automatically put in the My Documents directory without any other
>option at all.

Doing that makes sure that different users -- at the system level --
get different files. Also, depending on security and policies, other
users won't be able to do a thing to save files other than their own.

>Most games that allow you to sign on as different users used to create
>a directory, in the game directory, with the name of the user or a
>number. My saved games went into the directory labeled with my user
>name/play name. That has the advantage of keeping all the files
>belonging to that game in one location which makes uninstalling a
>snap.

That is nice, but not all games do that. I mean, not all have
separate save directories at all. In fact, most games don't. Using
the system level user gives *all* games a shot at totally independent
saves -- and game settings.

Sure, some games offer individual user settings/saves. But it is by
far not universal.

As long as you know where the saves are, what is the problem?

>What do you mean you never uninstall a game?

I can always get more hard drives. Restoring old save games is a
lot tougher.

On Sun, 15 May 2005 09:08:57 -0700, Loren Pechtel
<lorenpechtel@removethis.hotmail.com> wrote:

>>>"Loren Pechtel" <lorenpechtel@removethis.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>><snip>

>>>Yep. XP security is bad enough without being forced to be online using an
>>>administrator profile. Of course, you should be able to set a sub-directory
>>>up to put them into.
>>
>>I'm objecting to the fact that I do not even get asked. I have no
>>choice in the matter and I do not want my small C: drive filled with
>>saved games.
>
>I think it's possible to direct the Application Data directory to
>another drive. I've never tried to, however.

"My Documents" is a user based folder. You can right click on it and
select properites. Then just change the path to the new location. I
never tried to span drives but it works well for sharing a directory
between multiple user accounts.