Messenger TCP & UDP ports

Since I don't need Messenger, I have uninstalled it. However, I still have
several ports opened in LISTEN state for the process msmsgs.exe, which runs
at startup. I don't want this process to run which which will close the
associated ports.

The process msmsgs does NOT appear in msconfig, but is is persistent in Task
Manager.

On my other computer which also runs XP (and is setup similarly), I have
neither the msmsgs process, (nor the associated ports open). I'd like to
have my "problem" computer do the same. I have no qualms of directly
modifying the registry, if necessary.

=====================================
NOTE: Don't reply to address in header above.
Instead reply to minorman@yahoo.com
1 answer Last reply
More about messenger ports

    Greetings,

    You'll simply need to disable Windows Messenger. To do so, open it up (click Start, then
    Run, type "msmsgs" and click OK), click Tools, Options, Preferences tab and uncheck 'Run this
    Program when Windows starts' or 'Run Windows Messenger when Windows starts' (depending on
    version) as well as 'Allow this program to run in the background' or 'Allow Windows Messenger
    to run in the background' (depending on version). This won't remove Windows Messenger, so
    features like Remote Assistance, Whiteboard and Application Sharing will continue to work,
    but it will let it stay out of your way.

    Also, do you have Norton Antivirus installed? Recent versions of Norton Antivirus added a
    new "instant messaging scanning" feature, which can conflict with Messenger and cause it to
    also keep starting. To stop it, open Norton Antivirus (Right-click on the Norton Antivirus
    icon in the System Tray/Notification Area (by the clock), choose 'Open Norton Antivirus'),
    click Options, then Instant Messenger then uncheck MSN Instant Messenger and click OK.
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    "M. Norman" <minorman@private.net> wrote in message
    > Since I don't need Messenger, I have uninstalled it. However, I still have
    > several ports opened in LISTEN state for the process msmsgs.exe, which runs
    > at startup. I don't want this process to run which which will close the
    > associated ports.
    >
    > The process msmsgs does NOT appear in msconfig, but is is persistent in Task
    > Manager.
    >
    > On my other computer which also runs XP (and is setup similarly), I have
    > neither the msmsgs process, (nor the associated ports open). I'd like to
    > have my "problem" computer do the same. I have no qualms of directly
    > modifying the registry, if necessary.

    > NOTE: Don't reply to address in header above.
    > Instead reply to minorman@yahoo.com

Messenger TCP/IP Windows XP