Dimension 9100 Lan Question

My 9100 came with an Intel Pro100 VE integrated socket. I tried all
ways to get broadbanding via it and my Linksys Wireless-G ADSL Gateway
router without success.

I removed the CNET Pro200WL PCI fast Ethernet adapter from my old
Dimension 4300, installed it in the 9100, connected up and I'm
broadbanding with no set-up needed; it just worked!

Any thoughts? Thanks, Tom

<tom_nospam_ba@pobox.com> wrote in message
> My 9100 came with an Intel Pro100 VE integrated socket. I tried all
> ways to get broadbanding via it and my Linksys Wireless-G ADSL Gateway
> router without success.
>
> I removed the CNET Pro200WL PCI fast Ethernet adapter from my old
> Dimension 4300, installed it in the 9100, connected up and I'm
> broadbanding with no set-up needed; it just worked!
>
> Any thoughts? Thanks, Tom

Try it again with the CNet removed. Then go into BIOS and be sure that the
NIC/Ethernet is set to "on" or "auto" in BIOS. Exit and try it again.

Also, you don't mention if the onboard Intel NIC showed any LED activity -
it should when plugged.

Stew

<tom_nospam_ba@pobox.com> wrote in message
> My 9100 came with an Intel Pro100 VE integrated socket. I tried all
> ways to get broadbanding via it and my Linksys Wireless-G ADSL Gateway
> router without success.
>
> I removed the CNET Pro200WL PCI fast Ethernet adapter from my old
> Dimension 4300, installed it in the 9100, connected up and I'm
> broadbanding with no set-up needed; it just worked!
>
> Any thoughts? Thanks, Tom

It's possible your ADSL modem is keyed to the MAC address of your old
Ethernet card. Do you remember having to register your old Ethernet card
with your DSL provider? If so, you should be able to call them and get them
to update the MAC address in their database.

"Eddie Aftandilian" <aftandilian@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> <tom_nospam_ba@pobox.com> wrote in message
>> My 9100 came with an Intel Pro100 VE integrated socket. I tried all
>> ways to get broadbanding via it and my Linksys Wireless-G ADSL Gateway
>> router without success.
>>
>> I removed the CNET Pro200WL PCI fast Ethernet adapter from my old
>> Dimension 4300, installed it in the 9100, connected up and I'm
>> broadbanding with no set-up needed; it just worked!
>>
>> Any thoughts? Thanks, Tom
>
> It's possible your ADSL modem is keyed to the MAC address of your old
> Ethernet card. Do you remember having to register your old Ethernet card
> with your DSL provider? If so, you should be able to call them and get
> them to update the MAC address in their database.

I'll get it is easier than that.

Disconnect the modem from power for 5 minutes. Connect it to the new
machine's lan port, power on the modem and then the PC.

This bit me before.

Tom

Tom Scales wrote:

> "Eddie Aftandilian" <aftandilian@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>><tom_nospam_ba@pobox.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>My 9100 came with an Intel Pro100 VE integrated socket. I tried all
>>>ways to get broadbanding via it and my Linksys Wireless-G ADSL Gateway
>>>router without success.
>>>
>>>I removed the CNET Pro200WL PCI fast Ethernet adapter from my old
>>>Dimension 4300, installed it in the 9100, connected up and I'm
>>>broadbanding with no set-up needed; it just worked!
>>>
>>>Any thoughts? Thanks, Tom
>>
>>It's possible your ADSL modem is keyed to the MAC address of your old
>>Ethernet card. Do you remember having to register your old Ethernet card
>>with your DSL provider? If so, you should be able to call them and get
>>them to update the MAC address in their database.
>>

> I'll get it is easier than that.
>
> Disconnect the modem from power for 5 minutes. Connect it to the new
> machine's lan port, power on the modem and then the PC.
>
> This bit me before.

How about using IPCONFIG to do a Release/Renew? (run from a command
prompt under XP)

"Sparky Spartacus" <Sparky@universalexports.org> wrote in message
> Tom Scales wrote:
>
>> "Eddie Aftandilian" <aftandilian@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>><tom_nospam_ba@pobox.com> wrote in message

>>>It's possible your ADSL modem is keyed to the MAC address of your old
>>>Ethernet card. Do you remember having to register your old Ethernet card
>>>with your DSL provider? If so, you should be able to call them and get
>>>them to update the MAC address in their database.
>>>

>> I'll get it is easier than that.
>>
>> Disconnect the modem from power for 5 minutes. Connect it to the new
>> machine's lan port, power on the modem and then the PC.
>>
>> This bit me before.
>
> How about using IPCONFIG to do a Release/Renew? (run from a command prompt
> under XP)

I don't think that' sthe problem. The modem likely remembers the Mac id of
the card to which it was connected. The 5 minutes should let it forget.

Tom

I agree with Tom on this one. Most modems remember the MAC address of the
LAN card or router that they've become "friendly" with and it takes them
a little time to get over the heart break ;-)