Wireless signal but no internet all of sudden

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
July 2, 2004 3:13:26 PM

I have two laptop computers using the same NETGEAR 54 Mbps Wireless
Access Point (WG602 v2) unit to access each other and the internet.
Since I have hooked up the system both computers have had no problems
and I have been very pleased. Yesterday one of my computer stopped
being able to access the internet (the other computer is working fine
… still cranking along) the computer in question is showing a strong
signal from the NETGEAR access point but none of the computer's
applications that require the internet are able to function (i.e. my
browser will only return a error message … ). The IP addresses are
being assigned by DHCP and I am able to ping between computers via the
wireless system, I am assuming that this means that the strong signal
indicator is correct and that both computers are getting a signal from
the NETGEAR unit. If I disconnect the internet LAN hard line from the
NETGEAR unit and plug it directly into the computer in question, I am
able to access the internet with no problem. So you might have
guessed my question is how do I reset the computer in question back
such that I can access the internet via the NETGEAR access point? A
little more information I have not added any new programs or reload
any existing programs to my computers. I did how ever allow my McAfee
Virus application to update right be for I lost wireless capability.
I would really be thankful for some help … I have been pulling my hair
out trying to get things working again.

Thanks
July 2, 2004 11:38:24 PM

For what it is worth I lose connectivity at times and I go to the Network
card and right click and choose disable. I then right click and choose
enable and all works for days again.
I never bothered to see why I just follow the procedure above.

"Leslar" <leslarus@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have two laptop computers using the same NETGEAR 54 Mbps Wireless
> Access Point (WG602 v2) unit to access each other and the internet.
> Since I have hooked up the system both computers have had no problems
> and I have been very pleased. Yesterday one of my computer stopped
> being able to access the internet (the other computer is working fine
> . still cranking along) the computer in question is showing a strong
> signal from the NETGEAR access point but none of the computer's
> applications that require the internet are able to function (i.e. my
> browser will only return a error message . ). The IP addresses are
> being assigned by DHCP and I am able to ping between computers via the
> wireless system, I am assuming that this means that the strong signal
> indicator is correct and that both computers are getting a signal from
> the NETGEAR unit. If I disconnect the internet LAN hard line from the
> NETGEAR unit and plug it directly into the computer in question, I am
> able to access the internet with no problem. So you might have
> guessed my question is how do I reset the computer in question back
> such that I can access the internet via the NETGEAR access point? A
> little more information I have not added any new programs or reload
> any existing programs to my computers. I did how ever allow my McAfee
> Virus application to update right be for I lost wireless capability.
> I would really be thankful for some help . I have been pulling my hair
> out trying to get things working again.
>

> Thanks
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 3, 2004 8:34:07 PM

What IP address is being assigned by DHCP? What wireless config util
are you using? If the IP 169.254...., you need to release and renew
it. It has been my experience that by rebooting the Netgear routers
or access points, internet connection is restored. In no way am I
saying that ALL Netgear WAPs and routers are like that. I had to do
that to the ones I had.

!