An old Civ2 question...

(Sorry, but I'm asking this one here since alt.games.civ2 is even
deader than this group...)

When playing Civilization II (either in the original form, or Gold
Edition), I frequently find that I get at least one or two free techs
and sometimes even a second Settlers unit when starting the game.

BUT, when playing the Test Of Time version of the game (either
Original or Extended Original), I only EVER get *one* Settler, plus
the standard Irrigation, Mining and Roads...

Is this always the case, or have I just been unlucky in ToT?

Jonathan.

Perhaps this has something to do with difficulty level? I've never got
any extras on Diety level, don't recall ever getting a second settler
to start with on Emperor, but occansionly a free tech, while frequently
getting extra techs and a second settler unit on King level.

<joncnunn@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Perhaps this has something to do with difficulty level? I've never
got
> any extras on Diety level, don't recall ever getting a second
settler
> to start with on Emperor, but occansionly a free tech, while
frequently
> getting extra techs and a second settler unit on King level.

This is all on Chieftain level, both in Multiplayer Gold Edition
(where I often start off with a couple of techs or a second settler)
and Test Of Time edition (where I've never gotten anything bonus.)

Jonathan.

"Jonathan Ellis" <jonathan@franz-liszt.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in

> This is all on Chieftain level, both in Multiplayer Gold Edition
> (where I often start off with a couple of techs or a second settler)
> and Test Of Time edition (where I've never gotten anything bonus.)
>
> Jonathan.

What about the original version?