problem with messenger

can you please tell me why when i sign in on msn
messenger i get a pop up in bottom corner saying i have
signed on ,on another computer when i havent. thanks
1 answer Last reply
More about problem messenger

    Greetings Karen,

    It sounds like Windows Messenger is being loaded in the background. You'll simply need to
    disable Windows Messenger. To do so, open it up (click Start, then Run, type "msmsgs" and
    click OK), click Tools, Options, Preferences tab and uncheck 'Run this Program when Windows
    starts' or 'Run Windows Messenger when Windows starts' (depending on version) as well as
    'Allow this program to run in the background' or 'Allow Windows Messenger to run in the
    background' (depending on version). This won't remove Windows Messenger, so features like
    Remote Assistance, Whiteboard and Application Sharing will continue to work, but it will let
    it stay out of your way.

    Also, do you have Norton Antivirus installed? Recent versions of Norton Antivirus added a
    new "instant messaging scanning" feature, which can conflict with Messenger and cause it to
    also keep starting. To stop it, open Norton Antivirus (Right-click on the Norton Antivirus
    icon in the System Tray/Notification Area (by the clock), choose 'Open Norton Antivirus'),
    click Options, then Instant Messenger then uncheck MSN Instant Messenger and click OK.

    Finally, you may want to reboot to make sure that its not loaded after this.
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    "karen shipman" <karen@shipman6.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > can you please tell me why when i sign in on msn
    > messenger i get a pop up in bottom corner saying i have
    > signed on ,on another computer when i havent. thanks

Messenger Microsoft Windows XP