Rails like roads?

Now that I realize a bunch of roads being built make for more than just
easy travel, is the same true for rails? I mean, will more track make
my commerce better funded?

alex

"Mastiff" <Mastiff_of_Ar@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1117838504.415650.172420@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...

> Now that I realize a bunch of roads being built make for more than just
> easy travel, is the same true for rails? I mean, will more track make
> my commerce better funded?

Roads add one gold to commerce. Railroads do not add to commerce,
istead they double the effect of existing irrigation/mines.
For example irrigated grassland generates 2 + 1 = 3 food, railroaded
irrigated grassland generates 2 + 2x1 = 4 food.

***

Unfortunately this effect of railroading is too important to railroad
indiscriminately every tile; the end result looks ugly.
I would rather prefer to see in future railroads implemented
something like this:

6 free railroaded tiles per city, each extra railroaded tile
costs 1 gpt maintenance (like in real word part of rail network
pays for itself through fares, while government subsidizes rails of
strategic importance).

No increased food / shields for railroads, use upgraded farms and
mines instead. Some economic effect may be included indirectly,
like say two cities connected by rail can exchange food for raw shields.

Units can travel along railroads using existing *roads* at 1/3 moving
points, or load a train at train station (similar to airport/airfield)
and travel at speed of light. This will make railroad network important
and vulnerable military target.

The cost of railroading a tile equal that of clearing a jungle.

I kind of want to see railroad pattern on my civ map similar to
that of real word, carefully traced without redundancy.

"Mastiff" <Mastiff_of_Ar@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Now that I realize a bunch of roads being built make for more than just
> easy travel, is the same true for rails? I mean, will more track make
> my commerce better funded?

Roads add 1 commerce per tile. Railroads require 0 movement points (instant
travel) and improve output of mines by one shield and irrigation by one
food.

Mastiff wrote:
> Now that I realize a bunch of roads being built make for more than just
> easy travel, is the same true for rails? I mean, will more track make
> my commerce better funded?

Using the rails means you don't use movement points. So your unit can
go from one side to the other side of your island (assuming you have
rail all the way across)

In article <1117838504.415650.172420@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
Mastiff_of_Ar@yahoo.com says...
> Now that I realize a bunch of roads being built make for more than just
> easy travel, is the same true for rails? I mean, will more track make
> my commerce better funded?

Civilopedia says: Railroads increase the output of irrigation and mines.
So this seems to imply it doesn't improve the output of forests or
unimproved territory squares.

Unfortunately it doesn't say improve by what, or by how much/many.

Experiment. Open the town screen, take note of the production of a
square, then railroad it. Observe the difference.

I haven't looked for ages, and I get the exact workings of CivII, Alpha
Centauri and CivIII mixed up in my head quite frequently so I won't e'en
publish a guess <grin>.

-Peter