when to abandon city?

i tend to use the method where you build loads of cities very quickly, and
use a few of them as 'feeder' cities, ie just producing workers until
republic. i read on another post that 16 cities is the optimum for efficient
democracy rule. do the benefits of abandoning cities so late on in the game
still apply? is it worth losing the built up culture for the sake of more
potential territory?

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 10:07:57 +0100, "William Crighton"
<hexic@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

>i tend to use the method where you build loads of cities very quickly, and
>use a few of them as 'feeder' cities, ie just producing workers until
>republic. i read on another post that 16 cities is the optimum for efficient
>democracy rule. do the benefits of abandoning cities so late on in the game
>still apply? is it worth losing the built up culture for the sake of more
>potential territory?

You don't lose any culture points you've received, no matter what
happens to the cities. But you won't generate any more from those
cities, and older cities have higher culture outputs from buildings
than new ones.

I'd say that abandoning the cities is rarely useful, aside from
early in the industrial age, when hospitals suddenly allow for full
use of all squares in those areas. Chuck a few junk cities then,
replacing them elsewhere if needed. I'd never remove any city which
is self-sustaining and productive with a population of 12+, but if you
have some tiny cities which can't make it above size 6, they are good
candidates for destruction.

The optimum pattern is for those cities closest to your palace.
Cities far away don't hurt overall productivity much. It is tiny
cities deep in your core that chew up a slot in the "optimum" city
group which impede your productivity. Distant cities may not produce
much other than culture (and land area controlled), but they don't
hurt you otherwise -- other than in maintenance, and you can sell off
improvements which aren't effective.

The optimum number of cities is dependent on the map size, and the
Forbidden Palace, Courthouse, and Police Station all effectively
increase it.

> The optimum number of cities is dependent on the map size, and the
> Forbidden Palace, Courthouse, and Police Station all effectively
> increase it.

To be precise, Forbidden Palace doubles it, since it works like the original
palace, while Courthouse and Police Station only lower the penalty of a far
distance to the palace(s). So it's important not to waste the Forbidden
Palace by building it close to the main one. Sadly enough you must have
Communism as government to build and maintain a Secret Police HQ, which is
effectively a third palace and almost a must have on a huge map and with an
expansionist strategy.

How do you abandon a city? I've never been able to figure that out.
When you capture them, you can raze them. But is there another way?

Thanks

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 04:57:36 -0600, Rich Olver <richolver@comcast.net> wrote:
> How do you abandon a city? I've never been able to figure that out.
> When you capture them, you can raze them. But is there another way?

right-click on the city when in the overall map view (well, right-click
on the Mac, not sure about PC). Gives you a bunch of quick options,
like abandon city, or hurry current production, and so on.

Buck

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

On 19 Jul 2005 15:29:00 GMT, Dave Hinz <DaveHinz@spamcop.net> wrote:

>On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 04:57:36 -0600, Rich Olver <richolver@comcast.net> wrote:
>> How do you abandon a city? I've never been able to figure that out.
>> When you capture them, you can raze them. But is there another way?
>
>right-click on the city when in the overall map view (well, right-click
>on the Mac, not sure about PC). Gives you a bunch of quick options,
>like abandon city, or hurry current production, and so on.

right click works on the pc too.

Buck
--
For what it's worth.