Windows 7 taking over a minute to login

Status
Not open for further replies.

regimentaL

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2009
Hello all,
recently I have been having a problem after logging in, Windows 7 shows the welcome screen for over a MINUTE. Initially, it would load instantly and the welcome screen would only flash for about half a second. I don't know what could have changed this. Any input is appreciated.

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
If you don't know what changed it, chances are we don't. ;) Any new program installations? Did it happen after a certain OS update? Is this the RC or the RTM we're talking about? Did you add any more users? Change hardware? Just try to think of anything to do with the PC that would have been different between the last time it worked fine and the first time you noticed the 1 minute login times.

regimentaL

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2009
I'm pretty sure it's not a virus, i have AVG actively protecting my computer and run Malwarebytes' scans regularly. It wouldn't be a rootkit would it? Does Malwarebytes' detect rootkits?
EDIT: Actually there is one recent piece of software I haven't removed and that is Microsoft Office 2007, I wouldn't think that that is the reason for the slow login times though. Unless it is running some sort of startup service in the background but I have looked through the services and seen no such thing.

jedimasterben

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
Actually, it does install one small startup service, but it doesn't do anything from what I've found out.

How old is this installation? After a while, Windows will just start to feel bloated, after software installs/removals and such, and may be fixed by running programs like CCleaner, although they don't always do the job, and a reinstallation will have to do.

Snow_Patrol

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
Before the OS presents the desktop, it loads any start-up scripts, security configurations, additional drivers and services that you may require or have installed. My suggestion is add another user, log out and log in as the new user. If the problem goes away, then its something that your normal user account is loading, probably a start-up program or a massively big file in the Documents library.

If the problem persists with the new user, then its a computer or OS-related problem, most likely caused by a bug, glitch, or an update that switched on something that's not necessary and very memory-intensive (possibly a memory leak).

regimentaL

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2009
Thanks Snow_Patrol I'll give that a try. Right now I'm defragging with fingers crossed that that may be the problem, but I doubt it is since my computer schedules a defrag every week.

Snow_Patrol

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009

Defragging wont do anything for you, might as well cancel it. Since Vista, Windows has been defragging your hard drive in the background while your processor is idle, one of the many reasons why people complained about so-called disk thrashing, or unusual activity. Rather perform a disk cleanup, and go check msconfig to see what programs are starting up. If you find anything with the box ticked that doesn't have a name next to it, disable it from start-up immediately, because that's usually malware or an orphaned file.

regimentaL

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2009
Okay, so I tried enabling the guest account and restarting my computer and logging into that first. It still takes just as long to log in. However, once logged into the guest account i could log off and log into my administrator account within a couple of seconds. So, do you have any suggestions of where I should go from here?

Just for a hoot, try unplugging your network cable and booting. I'm thinking that the OS may be trying to access a remote resource and waiting for a response that's not coming - unplugging the cable should short-circuit that if it's indeed the cause.

Oh well. I have this nagging little thought floating in my head that I've read about something similar and it turned out to be Windows attempting to do something and having to wait until the operation timed out.

Have you checked your event log to see if there's anything noted there?

regimentaL

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2009
I did indeed check the event log and found something that was adding about 45 seconds to the boot time. I disabled the service that was doing that (it was HpCueDiscovery or something along those lines) but it still takes a good 30 seconds for windows to login due to this event:
Driver Management has concluded the process to add Service tunnel for Device Instance ID ROOT\*ISATAP\0000 with the following status: 0.

ISATAP is part of the IPv6 network stack. You might try turning off IPv6 support to see if that's really what's involved. You can do this as follows:

Start -> Control Panel -> Network and Sharing Center
Click the "Change Adapter Settings" in the left pane
Right-click on the network adapter and select "Properties"
Uncheck the "Internet Protocol Version 6" checkbox and click "OK"

If that speeds things up, then you might want to try re-enabling IPv6 and then resetting the protocol stack by typing the following into a Command Prompt window (will require a reboot):

netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

regimentaL

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2009
I unbound the IPv6 protocol and didn't notice any difference in boot time. >_<
I tried resetting the protocol as well and it says that there's no user specified settings to reset, I guess that's because I never setup a static-ip on this computer?
Also where it says "Driver Management has concluded the process to add Service tunnel for Device Instance ID ROOT\*ISATAP\0000 with the following status: 0" i'm almost positive that the 0 means installation successful, so does that mean it's installing a driver every time i boot up my pc?

ISATAP is a tunneling protocol to allow IPv6 networking through an IPv4 network. So that message probably has nothing to do with drivers and is just indicating that the tunneling protocol has been successfully initialized.

If that's not what's causing your delays then I'm afraid I'm out of suggestions...

Poender

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010
Have you tried running a check disk?
My Computer, Right Click the C Drive, Properties, Tools, "Error-checking", Check now.
Make sure you have both options ticked, Windows will say it has to schedual a disk check at next restart, just say, yes/ok. Restart and wait.
I've found that this will fix the bad data sectors and have your OS running smoothly at startup again.

afaque

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011

well after Installing Win7 sp1 .. Everything went 10 times slower.... login no takes approx 3 minutes. then a black screen which takes 5 min.. then 3 more min to load the system files... there arent any Startup software or any thing loading during startup... suddenly after installing sp1 for win7 this started happening.. ontop even processor utilization is 1% , it decreased the responce time of software starting.. not much utilization but sofware takes hell lot of time to start.. there arent any virus or spyware at my pc..
I think this updates from Microsoft manipulate the original Coding n slows down the script.... Hell Irritating...

Status
Not open for further replies.