Sign in with
Your question

Steve Jobs Steps Down

Last response: in Mac Os X
August 24, 2011 11:07:33 PM

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44264089/ns/business-us_bus...

Looks like Jobs is no longer going to head Apple. But he will still be a chairman it looks like. Just hope Apple doesn't do what happened last time Steve wasn't a major head there, and goes down the wrong path.

More about : steve jobs steps

August 24, 2011 11:24:23 PM

So the genius that is still bringing mountains of money resigns. Thats never a good sign for a company. I predict stock plunges and zombies awakening in the near future. Truth is Jobs is solely responsible for Apples success. Well, what do I care, I hope the zombies wake up and notice the awesomess outside apple. And I wish they port final cut to windows.
August 24, 2011 11:43:16 PM

“You’ve got a very deep bench of managers and executives who know how Jobs thinks, feels, and his vision.”

I just don't think it makes any difference whatsoever for us consumers...but, personally, I wish him well. Now the retards can start hating Tim Cook.

"Truth is Jobs is solely responsible for Apples success." I wholeheartedly disagree.
Related resources
August 24, 2011 11:45:05 PM

Just read the news myself. I wonder how long he'll remain as chairman of the board?
August 24, 2011 11:55:00 PM

Wow, now let's see what Apple can REALLY do.
August 25, 2011 12:06:25 AM

cadder said:
Wow, now let's see what Apple can REALLY do.

+1 Hold on to your seat, ...we're about to jump into hyperspace
August 25, 2011 1:33:23 AM

halcyon said:
“You’ve got a very deep bench of managers and executives who know how Jobs thinks, feels, and his vision.”

I just don't think it makes any difference whatsoever for us consumers...but, personally, I wish him well. Now the retards can start hating Tim Cook.

"Truth is Jobs is solely responsible for Apples success." I wholeheartedly disagree.

I really don't. Remember in the 90s after Jobs left, well the board took the former Pepsi CEO instead, they were hit hard and almost went belly up. It wasn't until after Jobs came back that Apple hit a major stride (thanks to Microsoft too for a infusion of cash) and has since then been remaining on that stride.

Even though I may not like Apple products, I know people like them and sell because they are simplistically designed. I myself just prefer choice, which is why I stick to building PCs.

But to say that without Jobs that Apple will do just as well or even better just sounds wrong.

Not saying they wont but history has proven otherwise.
August 25, 2011 2:14:39 AM

jimmysmitty said:

Remember in the 90s after Jobs left, well the board took the former Pepsi CEO instead, they were hit hard and almost went belly up. It wasn't until after Jobs came back that Apple hit a major stride (thanks to Microsoft too for a infusion of cash) and has since then been remaining on that stride.

That was then. Its not the 1990's and Apple is not the same company with the same infrastructure.
August 25, 2011 3:46:59 AM

jimmysmitty said:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44264089/ns/business-us_bus...

Looks like Jobs is no longer going to head Apple. But he will still be a chairman it looks like. Just hope Apple doesn't do what happened last time Steve wasn't a major head there, and goes down the wrong path.
He probably stepped down for health reasons mainly and nothing else.
August 25, 2011 9:12:35 AM

I think I like this Tim Cook character...seems like my kinda guy. No BS, minimal conversation, not here to be nice, don't care what you had for breakfast or that your dog died...let's just getterdone.
August 25, 2011 4:21:06 PM

Quote:
Just hope Apple doesn't do what happened last time Steve wasn't a major head there, and goes down the wrong path.

No, let's hope that's EXACTLY what happens! ;) 

halcyon said:

Me too, and also I hate the fact that modern Apple fanboys know NOTHING about Apple history. Some believe that Jobs was with Apple from the start without being fired, some have never heard about, for example, Steve Wozniak... it's all about Jobs. The guy got some charisma, as I've heard, since the iSheep will listen to him, mesmerized, for hours (don't know... me, I just want to kick him), but he didn't invent anything.

I've read an interview with him once: basically, he once "told the tech department to work on a touchscreen" to make a tablet and forgot about it for a while, and when it was ready, he was like "To hell with tablet, let's make a PHONE!" Don't know if it can be classified as brilliant thinking or just not being clear about what you want to achieve...
August 25, 2011 5:14:08 PM

amk-aka-Phantom said:
Quote:
Just hope Apple doesn't do what happened last time Steve wasn't a major head there, and goes down the wrong path.

Me too, and also I hate the fact that modern Apple fanboys know NOTHING about Apple history. Some believe that Jobs was with Apple from the start without being fired, some have never heard about, for example, Steve Wozniak... it's all about Jobs. The guy got some charisma, as I've heard, since the iSheep will listen to him, mesmerized, for hours (don't know... me, I just want to kick him), but he didn't invent anything.

I've read an interview with him once: basically, he once "told the tech department to work on a touchscreen" to make a tablet and forgot about it for a while, and when it was ready, he was like "To hell with tablet, let's make a PHONE!" Don't know if it can be classified as brilliant thinking or just not being clear about what you want to achieve...

I've listened to people say, "What's gonna happen now that Steve Jobs is gone? Apple is going to be in real trouble". That's just ridiculous to me. He's just a man. A talented man, but just a man. With his vision and drive he's helped Apple truly diversify and Apple now has much more talent all throughout then when he left and came back way back when. When he's truly gone, whenever that is, he'll be missed and things may change. ...but Apple may actually do better...we don't know yet what talent was actually stifled with him at the helm that may now be let loose. Its all speculation, and its fun to speculate. Only time will tell.
August 25, 2011 5:22:07 PM

amk-aka-Phantom said:
Quote:

Really? Like it or not Apple has had a positive impact on tech world. Think about that SGS II phone you admire. Do you really think it would be what its were it not for the iPhone as a template? If so...why wasn't it around 5 years ago? I don't care for Apple's alleged business antics and the things they do to negatively impact the competition...but they do those things because they can. I truly believe if Motorola, Samsung, HTC, Dell, HP, etc. had the same following and opportunity to deploy the business brutality that Apple seems to be accused of...they would. All businesses want to beat their competition. The more powerful they become (driven by their popularity, etc.) drives and empowers the ruthlessness, IMO.

I like Apple products for what they offer. ...and I don't think SJ is soley responsible for Apple's success. He's had a HUGE impact but there's a lot of great minds in Cupertino.
August 25, 2011 5:28:51 PM

Jobs is just a man, but he is very closely associated with Apple and it's image. It could be similar to when Walt Disney passed away, Disney as a company turned out garbage for about 20 years even though they still had the same writers and artists available. They tried to guess "What would Walt do?" and didn't get it right most of the time.

I really hope it's not like that with Apple. It's healthy for the industry as a whole to have a company that pushes the envelope and makes everyone else up the ante. It doesn't have to be Apple... it could be any company, but in my opinion Apple is currently filling that role. I'm not a fanboy of Apple BTW, that's just how I see it. If Apple does falter post-Jobs, then hopefully another company is ready to step up and fill that role.
August 25, 2011 5:44:02 PM

rwpritchett said:
Jobs is just a man, but he is very closely associated with Apple and it's image. It could be similar to when Walt Disney passed away, Disney as a company turned out garbage for about 20 years even though they still had the same writers and artists available. They tried to guess "What would Walt do?" and didn't get it right most of the time.

I really hope it's not like that with Apple. It's healthy for the industry as a whole to have a company that pushes the envelope and makes everyone else up the ante. It doesn't have to be Apple... it could be any company, but in my opinion Apple is currently filling that role. I'm not a fanboy of Apple BTW, that's just how I see it. If Apple does falter post-Jobs, then hopefully another company is ready to step up and fill that role.

If Tim Cook lets Apple decline post SJ, then he was the wrong person for the job. I hope that's not the case. Its funny I never cared about SJ or his image, I just liked the product. Innovative, high quality, good design. I hope that doesn't change. I realize it can, but I hope it doesn't.
August 25, 2011 5:47:01 PM

halcyon said:
Really? Like it or not Apple has had a positive impact on tech world. Think about that SGS II phone you admire. Do you really think it would be what its were it not for the iPhone as a template? If so...why wasn't it around 5 years ago? I don't care for Apple's alleged business antics and the things they do to negatively impact the competition...but they do those things because they can. I truly believe if Motorola, Samsung, HTC, Dell, HP, etc. had the same following and opportunity to deploy the business brutality that Apple seems to be accused of...they would. All businesses want to beat their competition. The more powerful they become (driven by their popularity, etc.) drives and empowers the ruthlessness, IMO.

Truth be told, I actually blame Apple's iPhone for the demise of T9 phones, which I loved. I never wanted phones to become new PDAs: fragile expensive devices with screens which you have to poke. Then there're "apps"... I remember buying Nokia smarphones and NEVER having to install any "apps" to do anything. Music/movie player? Check. Browser? Check. Camera and video/photo editing software? Check. Phone is useful right out of the box; and there're also loads of apps to install if I want to. Modern smartphones? Not really.

Then there's what happened to the lower segment. 7 years ago, I buy a non-smartphone (Siemens) for $150 and it has: BT, IrDA, kickass (for that time) camera, Internet, memory cards, can watch movies, supports Java apps, and a ton of other things. "Wow", I think to myself, "that is GREAT!" You get a non-smartphone from Samsung or LG for that price today and what do you find? NOTHING. It just has a colour screen and a few ringtones. Also, no one would pay $600 for a phone at that time.

As of business practices, I don't care either. This is business, and once Apple is out of the game, they'll simply start suing each other.

And other areas, Apple hasn't been driving the progress. They haven't done anything useful in the PC sector. They created all that hype with gaming allegedly shifting to tablets and phones. They set a standard that a computer has to be flashy, expensive and thin in order to be cool... and you think I'll ever believe that they had positive impact? I'm not even mentioning dumbing down the level of computer literacy in general; ask a kid nowadays what program he uses for browsing the net and he'll answer "Google"... though, I guess that's just a common trend Apple simply made use of by selling overpriced hardware.

EDIT: the previous incarnation of SGS II was called Nokia N95 =) It also had every single thing available on phones at that time. SGS II wasn't around at that time because such devices were called "PDAs", didn't have the CPU tech we have nowadays and no one really wanted to check their mail, watch movies and browse Facebook on their phone... they could, of course, but no one ever took that serious.
August 25, 2011 7:07:13 PM

amk-aka-Phantom said:
Truth be told, I actually blame Apple's iPhone for the demise of T9 phones, which I loved. I never wanted phones to become new PDAs: fragile expensive devices with screens which you have to poke. Then there're "apps"... I remember buying Nokia smarphones and NEVER having to install any "apps" to do anything. Music/movie player? Check. Browser? Check. Camera and video/photo editing software? Check. Phone is useful right out of the box; and there're also loads of apps to install if I want to. Modern smartphones? Not really.

Then there's what happened to the lower segment. 7 years ago, I buy a non-smartphone (Siemens) for $150 and it has: BT, IrDA, kickass (for that time) camera, Internet, memory cards, can watch movies, supports Java apps, and a ton of other things. "Wow", I think to myself, "that is GREAT!" You get a non-smartphone from Samsung or LG for that price today and what do you find? NOTHING. It just has a colour screen and a few ringtones. Also, no one would pay $600 for a phone at that time.

As of business practices, I don't care either. This is business, and once Apple is out of the game, they'll simply start suing each other.

And other areas, Apple hasn't been driving the progress. They haven't done anything useful in the PC sector. They created all that hype with gaming allegedly shifting to tablets and phones. They set a standard that a computer has to be flashy, expensive and thin in order to be cool... and you think I'll ever believe that they had positive impact? I'm not even mentioning dumbing down the level of computer literacy in general; ask a kid nowadays what program he uses for browsing the net and he'll answer "Google"... though, I guess that's just a common trend Apple simply made use of by selling overpriced hardware.

EDIT: the previous incarnation of SGS II was called Nokia N95 =) It also had every single thing available on phones at that time. SGS II wasn't around at that time because such devices were called "PDAs", didn't have the CPU tech we have nowadays and no one really wanted to check their mail, watch movies and browse Facebook on their phone... they could, of course, but no one ever took that serious.

I don't blame Apple for those things. Sony is no less guilty. Apple is not going to be out of the game in any near future. As far as what's happened to dumb phones...not too many people want them...that market has dwindled. ...which is why they're as sorry as they are. Remember, its a small minority that has an Apple computer, so most people don't have to be infected. They can still get a PC-looking box or build a box and drop whatever parts they want in it for less than the high-priced Apple thing that might ridiculously blend in with the decor or have dumb-looking OS X. Long live the box. Apple has set not standard here, they've just offered an option (with the iMac) for folks that want a slim desktop.
August 25, 2011 7:19:41 PM

halcyon said:
I don't blame Apple for those things. Sony is no less guilty. Apple is not going to be out of the game in any near future. As far as what's happened to dumb phones...not too many people want them...that market has dwindled. ...which is why they're as sorry as they are. Remember, its a small minority that has an Apple computer, so most people don't have to be infected. They can still get a PC-looking box or build a box and drop whatever parts they want in it for less than the high-priced Apple thing that might ridiculously blend in with the decor or have dumb-looking OS X. Long live the box. Apple has set not standard here, they've just offered an option (with the iMac) for folks that want a slim desktop.

You don't? Well, I do, since they started the touchphone trend.

Let's not discuss Apple design here... first, I don't like my PCs blending in with the surroundings, second, I find Apple design ugly. As for the looks, Ubuntu shreds OS X on visual effects :p 

iMac? To satisfy the silly consumers, MSI and Asus also offer similar nonsense, so again, not the only option. I loathe these things; if you don't need performance, just go for the laptop (hey, AIOs are costly, so you can surely afford a good laptop, right?) And if you need its big screen, get some decent hardware to go with it. Oh wait, you just "want to watch movies on the big screen"... that's ONE of the reasons US economy is in ruins - people spend too much money on an overpriced thing to watch movies on. Get a TV.
August 25, 2011 11:34:29 PM

amk-aka-Phantom said:
You don't? Well, I do, since they started the touchphone trend.

Let's not discuss Apple design here... first, I don't like my PCs blending in with the surroundings, second, I find Apple design ugly. As for the looks, Ubuntu shreds OS X on visual effects :p 

iMac? To satisfy the silly consumers, MSI and Asus also offer similar nonsense, so again, not the only option. I loathe these things; if you don't need performance, just go for the laptop (hey, AIOs are costly, so you can surely afford a good laptop, right?) And if you need its big screen, get some decent hardware to go with it. Oh wait, you just "want to watch movies on the big screen"... that's ONE of the reasons US economy is in ruins - people spend too much money on an overpriced thing to watch movies on. Get a TV.

Remember, as far as PC hardware...its primarily the gamer or the developer...or the the renderer that cares about that. The gamers will want their PCs with their graphics...makes sense. ...but the developer and the renderer are going to be looking at their PC workstations or their Macs. Now, maybe the ones that use the Macs are just stupider when they could build a PC and buy a pro-graphics card and save money. ...but for these folks saving money may not be the issue. Time is. Maybe there's something a dual-six-core system is better at than a single-quad-core is. Who knows? ...but still, they can do their work on an $500 home-built PC and then throw in a nice graphics card, eh? I'm not sure how Dell and HP sell their high-cost workstations...$5K+ is a lot...but the Pros want their Pro machines...guess they're just ignorant, eh? Why on earth would anyone use a Mac when they don't have to?

The human race (except the build-it-yourself gamers, that is) has just gone to sh*t I suppose. ...intellect, a thing of the past.

A handful of people in the world like Apple's design philosophy...the majority of the world thinks Apple sucks. ...but hey, Apple's almost bankrupt, so it won't be much longer now.

The whole watch TV/Movies on the computer doesn't appeal to me...but I have a TV...some people don't or want their entertainment to be portable I guess.
August 26, 2011 4:29:49 AM

halcyon said:
Remember, as far as PC hardware...its primarily the gamer or the developer...or the the renderer that cares about that. The gamers will want their PCs with their graphics...makes sense. ...but the developer and the renderer are going to be looking at their PC workstations or their Macs. Now, maybe the ones that use the Macs are just stupider when they could build a PC and buy a pro-graphics card and save money. ...but for these folks saving money may not be the issue. Time is. Maybe there's something a dual-six-core system is better at than a single-quad-core is. Who knows? ...but still, they can do their work on an $500 home-built PC and then throw in a nice graphics card, eh? I'm not sure how Dell and HP sell their high-cost workstations...$5K+ is a lot...but the Pros want their Pro machines...guess they're just ignorant, eh? Why on earth would anyone use a Mac when they don't have to?

The human race (except the build-it-yourself gamers, that is) has just gone to sh*t I suppose. ...intellect, a thing of the past.

A handful of people in the world like Apple's design philosophy...the majority of the world thinks Apple sucks. ...but hey, Apple's almost bankrupt, so it won't be much longer now.

The whole watch TV/Movies on the computer doesn't appeal to me...but I have a TV...some people don't or want their entertainment to be portable I guess.

Forget your Dell and HP workstations. I've read some comparisons and a custom-built workstation is much cheaper than the Mac one. Or more powerful, for the same price. And I don't even mean workstations here; I don't know much about them apart from the fact that Apple overcharges there just as much as everywhere else. No, I mean home computers. Laptops, AIOs... they're all overpriced and I thought we already went over this in the other thread that we both know. By the way, from that thread it seemed like you were one of these *reasonable* Mac users... now you're talking like a hopeless fanboy.

And you're right, the human race's intellect DID go to $h!t. (I mean, there's so many people out there who'll simply buy the most advertised product without looking at the pros and cons first... that's retarded, in my book. Whatever you use, you have to know how it works, at least on the basic level.) The majority of the world consists of retards, and I couldn't care less what they think. Or how much money Apple makes. There's quite a few companies in this world that make a ton of money yet their product has no practical use or is overpriced. Throw Samsung and Sony laptops in here, too, as well as "professional" sound systems from B&O that cost as much as a small car. (At least in that case, the product kind of lives up to the price... but only *kind of*.)

Also, portable entertainment? :D  We're talking AIOs here. Portable within the house; that's all. If you don't have a TV, get a screen and hook your phone up to it. Oh sorry, I forgot that iPhone still doesn't have HDMI...

AIOs aren't as portable as laptops and not as upgradeable/cheap as desktops. Most of the stuff I've seen people doing on them could've been achieved on a miniATX (or was it microATX? I keep forgetting!) box hooked up to the screen of the same size. Throw a Sandy Bridge in that box plus any good GPU, and you're set. Comes out much cheaper, too.
August 26, 2011 9:16:58 AM

amk-aka-Phantom said:
Forget your Dell and HP workstations. I've read some comparisons and a custom-built workstation is much cheaper than the Mac one. Or more powerful, for the same price. And I don't even mean workstations here; I don't know much about them apart from the fact that Apple overcharges there just as much as everywhere else. No, I mean home computers. Laptops, AIOs... they're all overpriced and I thought we already went over this in the other thread that we both know. By the way, from that thread it seemed like you were one of these *reasonable* Mac users... now you're talking like a hopeless fanboy.

And you're right, the human race's intellect DID go to $h!t. (I mean, there's so many people out there who'll simply buy the most advertised product without looking at the pros and cons first... that's retarded, in my book. Whatever you use, you have to know how it works, at least on the basic level.) The majority of the world consists of retards, and I couldn't care less what they think. Or how much money Apple makes. There's quite a few companies in this world that make a ton of money yet their product has no practical use or is overpriced. Throw Samsung and Sony laptops in here, too, as well as "professional" sound systems from B&O that cost as much as a small car. (At least in that case, the product kind of lives up to the price... but only *kind of*.)

Also, portable entertainment? :D  We're talking AIOs here. Portable within the house; that's all. If you don't have a TV, get a screen and hook your phone up to it. Oh sorry, I forgot that iPhone still doesn't have HDMI...

AIOs aren't as portable as laptops and not as upgradeable/cheap as desktops. Most of the stuff I've seen people doing on them could've been achieved on a miniATX (or was it microATX? I keep forgetting!) box hooked up to the screen of the same size. Throw a Sandy Bridge in that box plus any good GPU, and you're set. Comes out much cheaper, too.

Amk...at my age I don't think I could be a fanboy...and I don't like Apple enough that I'd lead their charge or cheer for them...or whatever else "fanboys" allegedly do. I simply disagree that every pre-built machine is overpriced and one might draw the conclusion that that is part of your point. In our home thread (that's what I'll call it) I did note that I don't think Apple is basing their prices simple on the cost of the CPU/GPU/Storage/Monitor. I think they're charging for their design as well. It seems that some see that as something they're willing to pay for...but I've already said all this in our home thread. It is clear that you do not believe what they're charging is appropriate. The Apple Tax as some call it. You have the right vote with your wallet and perhaps that vote will make a difference...perhaps it won't.
August 26, 2011 10:01:38 AM

Fanboys are ageless =) Not looking to insault or anything, just noticing that you're being kind of unreasonable, and I can't understand why.

Anyway, if you're willing to pay double for this so-called design, go for it. For me, there's a wide choice of cabinets (desktop) or Asus VX series if I want a REAL cool design on my laptop.
August 26, 2011 10:12:20 AM

amk-aka-Phantom said:
Fanboys are ageless =) Not looking to insault or anything, just noticing that you're being kind of unreasonable, and I can't understand why.

Anyway, if you're willing to pay double for this so-called design, go for it. For me, there's a wide choice of cabinets (desktop) or Asus VX series if I want a REAL cool design on my laptop.

Perhaps you're right...perhaps I'm being unreasonable...I'll reevaluate.

Reevaluating.

Reevaluated.

I still seem to like the design of Apple's products and I still like my Mac Pro and MBP but do realize and respect that I could have gotten faster hardware if I had gone Wintel. That said, I've heard that OS X is able perform better on lesser hardware than Windows is. So, I think the point is that OS X would be faster on a intel 990X than Windows 7 would be. I've not tested that, and will not...no motivation or reason to. ...that's just what I've read. I'm not sure I believe that...especially with some of the frivolous crap they've put into OS X 10.7 (Launchpad...really, really?). I think Linux is even faster.

I respect that you dislike Apple's products and philosophy. Continue to vote with your wallet...it will be counted.

EDITED: for clarity
!