Civ3 chess and smart people

Last response: in Video Games
July 15, 2005 9:19:22 AM

Civilization 3 Game of the Year Edition for the Mac with default
settings at every difficulty level is worthy of study if the game of
chess is. There are only 64 squares and 32 playing pieces in chess and
the rules haven't changed very much in 400 years. Nobody can master
chess without a lot of experience. Nobody can get a lot of experience
with Civ3 because each game takes so long. I can't find any web sites
about standard Civ3 with positions to download and examine and test play.

I am not interested in any modifications to the rules of standard Civ3.
It has suddenly dawned on me that the movement rules and opponents
strategies are based on the default size board and the default settings
in general. Any change in the rules or choices of tribes would be a
travesty.

I don't know why I was curious about chess for so long, and I don't know
why I am curious about standard Civ3, but, I really would like to see
how smart people solve the problems in the game and get the highest
scores.

    Cliff Nelson

Dry your tears, there's more fun for your ears,
"Forward Into The Past"
  2 PM to 5 PM, Sundays,
California time, at: http://www.kspc.org/
Don't be a square or a blockhead; see:
http://users.adelphia.net/~cnelson9/
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 3:10:40 PM

"Clifford Nelson" <cjnelson9@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Civilization 3 Game of the Year Edition for the Mac with default
> settings at every difficulty level is worthy of study if the game of
> chess is. There are only 64 squares and 32 playing pieces in chess and
> the rules haven't changed very much in 400 years. Nobody can master
> chess without a lot of experience. Nobody can get a lot of experience
> with Civ3 because each game takes so long. I can't find any web sites
> about standard Civ3 with positions to download and examine and test play.

AFAIK there are no sites that have this feature. Ocassionaly someone will
upload a .sav file for advice. There are also the HOF games at
civfanatics.com which have the start and end games.

> I am not interested in any modifications to the rules of standard Civ3.
> It has suddenly dawned on me that the movement rules and opponents
> strategies are based on the default size board and the default settings
> in general. Any change in the rules or choices of tribes would be a
> travesty.
>
> I don't know why I was curious about chess for so long, and I don't know
> why I am curious about standard Civ3, but, I really would like to see
> how smart people solve the problems in the game and get the highest
> scores.

Most of the best players just use a formula. Closely spaced cities, expand
until you can't anymore, take over the AI until you reach the domination
limit and stay just under it, play it out until 2050 AD and you get a really
big score. Playing higher difficulty levels gives a bigger score.

The AI in Civ3 doesn't think farther ahead at the higher difficulty levels
like a chess program would.
July 16, 2005 3:01:47 AM

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 05:19:22 GMT, Clifford Nelson
<cjnelson9@verizon.net> wrote:

>Civilization 3 Game of the Year Edition for the Mac with default
>settings at every difficulty level is worthy of study if the game of
>chess is. There are only 64 squares and 32 playing pieces in chess and
>the rules haven't changed very much in 400 years. Nobody can master
>chess without a lot of experience. Nobody can get a lot of experience
>with Civ3 because each game takes so long. I can't find any web sites
>about standard Civ3 with positions to download and examine and test play.
>
>I am not interested in any modifications to the rules of standard Civ3.
>It has suddenly dawned on me that the movement rules and opponents
>strategies are based on the default size board and the default settings
>in general. Any change in the rules or choices of tribes would be a
>travesty.
>
>I don't know why I was curious about chess for so long, and I don't know
>why I am curious about standard Civ3, but, I really would like to see
>how smart people solve the problems in the game and get the highest
>scores.
>
>    Cliff Nelson
>
>Dry your tears, there's more fun for your ears,
>"Forward Into The Past"
>  2 PM to 5 PM, Sundays,
>California time, at: http://www.kspc.org/
>Don't be a square or a blockhead; see:
>http://users.adelphia.net/~cnelson9/

My son and I figured out that we can shorten the games by creating
elimination games. The opponent is completely destroyed upon losing 5
cities. You have to make the change to 5 each game.

You are right, tho. I am into unknown hours in this current game. I
have been playing it for five strait days. A lot of hours each day.

Buck
--
For what it's worth.
!