Civ2 Question

Hi there,

I know I have the wrong group but there others are dead so I hope
someone in here can and will still help me.

I've got the small compact version of Civ2 (16mb) and I've been playing
it with some work mates and it's been great fun.
I read on the CivFanatics forum that you can make Civ2 turns
simultaneous instead of waiting, this would make the game so much more
fun. However when I look for the civ.ini file in the windows directory
there is none. I think this is because I didn't install the game, just
extract it.

This being the case how would I go about setting the aforementioned up?

Any help much appreciated.

Scott

--
"Now that there is one damn fine coat you're wearing."

www.stri.tk

On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 02:06:01 GMT, Stri
<email.given@thepoint.youasknice> wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>I know I have the wrong group but there others are dead so I hope
>someone in here can and will still help me.
>
>I've got the small compact version of Civ2 (16mb) and I've been playing
>it with some work mates and it's been great fun.
>I read on the CivFanatics forum that you can make Civ2 turns
>simultaneous instead of waiting, this would make the game so much more
>fun. However when I look for the civ.ini file in the windows directory
>there is none. I think this is because I didn't install the game, just
>extract it.
>
>This being the case how would I go about setting the aforementioned up?
>
>Any help much appreciated.
>
>Scott

I don't have civ2. But did you try looking in the folder you
extracted the program too? There is likely a file called civ2.ini
which stores many of the program settings.

P12 proclaimed...

> I don't have civ2. But did you try looking in the folder you
> extracted the program too? There is likely a file called civ2.ini
> which stores many of the program settings.

That's just it, it doesn't. Any other ideas?

--

"Stri" <email.given@thepoint.youasknice> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> I know I have the wrong group but there others are dead so I hope
> someone in here can and will still help me.
>
> I've got the small compact version of Civ2 (16mb) and I've been playing
> it with some work mates and it's been great fun.
> I read on the CivFanatics forum that you can make Civ2 turns
> simultaneous instead of waiting, this would make the game so much more
> fun. However when I look for the civ.ini file in the windows directory
> there is none. I think this is because I didn't install the game, just
> extract it.
>
> This being the case how would I go about setting the aforementioned up?
>
> Any help much appreciated.

It could be the ini file isn't created unless the game is actually
installed.

The Stare proclaimed...

> It could be the ini file isn't created unless the game is actually
> installed.

That's the way it appears at the minute. This is a shame as I want to
change it so me and some friends can play it simultaneous movement.

--

> The Stare proclaimed...
>
>> It could be the ini file isn't created unless the game is actually
>> installed.
>
> That's the way it appears at the minute. This is a shame as I want to
> change it so me and some friends can play it simultaneous movement.

So why not install it?

David

On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 10:44:30 GMT, Stri
<email.given@thepoint.youasknice> typed furiously:

>P12 proclaimed...
>
>> I don't have civ2. But did you try looking in the folder you
>> extracted the program too? There is likely a file called civ2.ini
>> which stores many of the program settings.
>
>That's just it, it doesn't. Any other ideas?

If I remember correctly there are two, or more, files controlling
Civ2. One is called Rules.txt. I can't remember the name of the other
but it also is just a .txt file. Each contain all the instructions for
modifying it and each may even be modified while you are playing the
game as it is reread before it is used each time.

--
David
Remove "farook" to reply

David proclaimed...

> If I remember correctly there are two, or more, files controlling
> Civ2. One is called Rules.txt. I can't remember the name of the other
> but it also is just a .txt file. Each contain all the instructions for
> modifying it and each may even be modified while you are playing the
> game as it is reread before it is used each time.

Thanks for that David. I can't find the multiplayer simultaneous move
option yet so if you know which file it's in please let me know.

Thanks again.

--
"Now that there is one damn fine coat you're wearing."

www.stri.tk

David proclaimed...

> If I remember correctly there are two, or more, files controlling
> Civ2. One is called Rules.txt. I can't remember the name of the other
> but it also is just a .txt file. Each contain all the instructions for
> modifying it and each may even be modified while you are playing the
> game as it is reread before it is used each time.

I've found three files which contain the string 'simultaneous'

I've packed them in a rar, could you take a look and tell me which part
I need to change?

www.rozin-online.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/files.rar

Scott

--

On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 22:54:09 GMT, Stri wrote:

> David proclaimed...
>
>> If I remember correctly there are two, or more, files controlling
>> Civ2. One is called Rules.txt. I can't remember the name of the other
>> but it also is just a .txt file. Each contain all the instructions for
>> modifying it and each may even be modified while you are playing the
>> game as it is reread before it is used each time.
>
> Thanks for that David. I can't find the multiplayer simultaneous move
> option yet so if you know which file it's in please let me know.
>
> Thanks again.

hi, i haven't play civ2 gold for a while, but from what i can recall,
simultaneous was just an option u could select when u got into
multiplayer/network menu, i don't recall having to edit any files.

wwyyzz <wwyyzz> proclaimed...

> hi, i haven't play civ2 gold for a while, but from what i can recall,
> simultaneous was just an option u could select when u got into
> multiplayer/network menu, i don't recall having to edit any files.

Thanks for the reply. I just had a look but couldn't find it.

--
"Now that there is one damn fine coat you're wearing."

www.stri.tk

David

On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 23:05:45 GMT, Stri
<email.given@thepoint.youasknice> typed furiously:

>David proclaimed...
>
>> If I remember correctly there are two, or more, files controlling
>> Civ2. One is called Rules.txt. I can't remember the name of the other
>> but it also is just a .txt file. Each contain all the instructions for
>> modifying it and each may even be modified while you are playing the
>> game as it is reread before it is used each time.
>
>I've found three files which contain the string 'simultaneous'
>
>I've packed them in a rar, could you take a look and tell me which part
>I need to change?
>
>www.rozin-online.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/files.rar
>
>Scott

I'm sorry but I really have no idea. I would imagine it would be an
option in Multiplayer Mode but I have never played Multiplayer.
--
David
Remove "farook" to reply
At the bottom of the application where it says
"sign here". I put "Sagittarius"

David proclaimed...

> I'm sorry but I really have no idea. I would imagine it would be an
> option in Multiplayer Mode but I have never played Multiplayer.

It's not there dude, I've looked. I know it's an option in the civ2.ini
file when installed but with the extracted option it doesn't appear to
be there.

:/

--
"Now that there is one damn fine coat you're wearing."

www.stri.tk

David

On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 05:25:05 GMT, Stri
<email.given@thepoint.youasknice> typed furiously:

>David proclaimed...
>
>> I'm sorry but I really have no idea. I would imagine it would be an
>> option in Multiplayer Mode but I have never played Multiplayer.
>
>It's not there dude, I've looked. I know it's an option in the civ2.ini
>file when installed but with the extracted option it doesn't appear to
>be there.

Perhaps the version from which it was extracted was not installed with
that option. Just install it and it should reappear. You do have the
original, don't you?
--
David
Remove "farook" to reply
At the bottom of the application where it says
"sign here". I put "Sagittarius"

David proclaimed...

> Perhaps the version from which it was extracted was not installed with
> that option. Just install it and it should reappear. You do have the
> original, don't you?

'fraid not. I'm not going to buy it either, certainly not with
Civilization IV so near.

--

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 05:26:27 GMT, Stri <email.given@thepoint.youasknice> wrote:
> David proclaimed...
>
>> Perhaps the version from which it was extracted was not installed with
>> that option. Just install it and it should reappear. You do have the
>> original, don't you?
>
> 'fraid not. I'm not going to buy it either, certainly not with
> Civilization IV so near.

How near?

Dave Hinz proclaimed...

> How near?

GamersHell has it listed as September. But I'm not aware of any official
release date yet.