Remote assistance.. Remote Host

Hi. I've tried to assist some friends with the remote assistance option. it
works for most. but, in some cases i get an error message " Remote host name
cannot be resolved". Any ideas how to slove this problem? Thanks
6 answers Last reply
More about remote assistance remote host

    Greetings,

    This error simply means that you couldn't connect. In most cases this is due to a router
    being used without Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) support. A vast majority of routers now
    support UPnP, so they may need to simply turn on UPnP in their router configuration or
    install a new firmware version for their router that allows UPnP.
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    "R. Doucette" <doucetterobert@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi. I've tried to assist some friends with the remote assistance option. it works for most.
    > but, in some cases i get an error message " Remote host name cannot be resolved". Any ideas
    > how to slove this problem? Thanks

    So if this setting is enabled on your router and you have the latest
    firmware, what else can be done to get this working?

    "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:

    > Greetings,
    >
    > This error simply means that you couldn't connect. In most cases this is due to a router
    > being used without Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) support. A vast majority of routers now
    > support UPnP, so they may need to simply turn on UPnP in their router configuration or
    > install a new firmware version for their router that allows UPnP.
    > Jonathan Kay
    > Associate Expert
    >
    > "R. Doucette" <doucetterobert@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi. I've tried to assist some friends with the remote assistance option. it works for most.
    > > but, in some cases i get an error message " Remote host name cannot be resolved". Any ideas
    > > how to slove this problem? Thanks

    What if no router is involved ?

    "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:

    > Greetings,
    >
    > This error simply means that you couldn't connect. In most cases this is due to a router
    > being used without Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) support. A vast majority of routers now
    > support UPnP, so they may need to simply turn on UPnP in their router configuration or
    > install a new firmware version for their router that allows UPnP.
    > Jonathan Kay
    > Associate Expert
    >
    > "R. Doucette" <doucetterobert@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi. I've tried to assist some friends with the remote assistance option. it works for most.
    > > but, in some cases i get an error message " Remote host name cannot be resolved". Any ideas
    > > how to slove this problem? Thanks

    Lou,

    Have you checked with your friends to allow Remote Assistance software to
    connect to the internet (by clicking Allow when their software based
    firewall prompts?) Also try asking your friends to make sure that their
    Windows Firewall (comes with SP2) has been configured properly

    --
    Jabez Gan
    Give me a chance, Let me help you!

    "Lou C" <Lou C@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > What if no router is involved ?
    >
    > "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> Greetings,
    >>
    >> This error simply means that you couldn't connect. In most cases this is
    >> due to a router
    >> being used without Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) support. A vast
    >> majority of routers now
    >> support UPnP, so they may need to simply turn on UPnP in their router
    >> configuration or
    >> install a new firmware version for their router that allows UPnP.
    >> Jonathan Kay
    >> Associate Expert
    >>
    >> "R. Doucette" <doucetterobert@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hi. I've tried to assist some friends with the remote assistance
    >> > option. it works for most.
    >> > but, in some cases i get an error message " Remote host name cannot be
    >> > resolved". Any ideas
    >> > how to slove this problem? Thanks

    The "allow invitations" box has been checked, and the firewall settings are
    in their default state. The DELL computer is two months old. For which
    specific firewall settings should I be looking?

    "Jabez Gan" wrote:

    > Lou,
    >
    > Have you checked with your friends to allow Remote Assistance software to
    > connect to the internet (by clicking Allow when their software based
    > firewall prompts?) Also try asking your friends to make sure that their
    > Windows Firewall (comes with SP2) has been configured properly
    >
    > --
    > Jabez Gan
    > Give me a chance, Let me help you!
    > http://www.blizhosting.com
    >

    > "Lou C" <Lou C@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > What if no router is involved ?
    > >
    > > "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Greetings,
    > >>
    > >> This error simply means that you couldn't connect. In most cases this is
    > >> due to a router
    > >> being used without Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) support. A vast
    > >> majority of routers now
    > >> support UPnP, so they may need to simply turn on UPnP in their router
    > >> configuration or
    > >> install a new firmware version for their router that allows UPnP.
    > >> ____________________________________________
    > >> Jonathan Kay
    > >> Microsoft MVP - Windows Messenger/MSN Messenger
    > >> Associate Expert
    > >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
    > >> Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com
    > >> All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2004 Jonathan Kay.
    > >> You *must* contact me for redistribution rights.
    > >>
    > >> "R. Doucette" <doucetterobert@hotmail.com> wrote in message

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    Lou,

    On your friend's side of his PC:
    Control Panel > Windows Firewall > Exceptions.

    Make sure that Remote assistance both are checked. You might also want to
    make sure that if they do have routers, make sure the built in firewall for
    their routers are configured properly to allow the needed ports to be
    redirected to their PC.

    And make sure that your friend's PC has only 1 firewall installed. Either
    they use Windows Firewall or another 3rd party firewall.

    --

    > The "allow invitations" box has been checked, and the firewall settings
    > are
    > in their default state. The DELL computer is two months old. For which
    > specific firewall settings should I be looking?
    >
    > "Jabez Gan" wrote:
    >
    >> Lou,
    >>
    >> Have you checked with your friends to allow Remote Assistance software to
    >> connect to the internet (by clicking Allow when their software based
    >> firewall prompts?) Also try asking your friends to make sure that their
    >> Windows Firewall (comes with SP2) has been configured properly
    >>
    >> --
    >> Jabez Gan
    >> Give me a chance, Let me help you!
    >> http://www.blizhosting.com