Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Any way to limit access to MS-Messenger by time

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
October 29, 2004 5:21:08 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

My kids are spending too much time on MS-Messenger to the detriment of their
school work. Is there any way to limit by time when MS-Messenger can be
used?
Anonymous
October 29, 2004 5:21:09 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

"davout" . Is there any way to limit by time when MS-Messenger can be used?

As far a MSN goes i do not know of a feature to do this. When my son was
younger i used http://www.cyberpatrol.com/ .
It is not free but it will do what you want and more.

--
Be safe
James Donnelly
MVP MSN Photos
http://msmvps.com/msnvision/
Anonymous
October 30, 2004 7:34:48 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

Also, if you're running XP, you can use a third party firewall to eliminate
the connection. Depending on the firewall, you can specify times that they
are allowed to use it, and times they aren't.. But, I would probably take
James' suggestion as a first option.. Simply because cyberPatrol will not
only regulate messenger, but also their internet surfing as well.

One thing I would do if you choose to install CyberPatrol. Put a block in
for http://webmessenger.msn.com as it is an online version of MSN Messenger.
It would defeat your whole purpose, if they simply logged in that way
instead of with the client version (MSN Messenger).

Hope this helps you.
Patrick.

--
Smile... Someone out there cares deeply for you...
"James Donnelly [MVP]" <JDProud(AT)msn.com> wrote in message
news:o 3aCvAdvEHA.2016@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>
> "davout" . Is there any way to limit by time when MS-Messenger can be
used?
>
> As far a MSN goes i do not know of a feature to do this. When my son was
> younger i used http://www.cyberpatrol.com/ .
> It is not free but it will do what you want and more.
>
> --
> Be safe
> James Donnelly
> MVP MSN Photos
> http://msmvps.com/msnvision/
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
October 30, 2004 8:42:34 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

what you could do is limit msn messenger by using a program called 'Ranger'
try it, ranger solo would be best. www.rangersuite.com

zack :o )


"Patrick Dickey" <pd1ckey43(removeThis)@msn.com> wrote in message
news:eVUeStlvEHA.2016@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Also, if you're running XP, you can use a third party firewall to
eliminate
> the connection. Depending on the firewall, you can specify times that
they
> are allowed to use it, and times they aren't.. But, I would probably take
> James' suggestion as a first option.. Simply because cyberPatrol will not
> only regulate messenger, but also their internet surfing as well.
>
> One thing I would do if you choose to install CyberPatrol. Put a block in
> for http://webmessenger.msn.com as it is an online version of MSN
Messenger.
> It would defeat your whole purpose, if they simply logged in that way
> instead of with the client version (MSN Messenger).
>
> Hope this helps you.
> Patrick.
>
> --
> Smile... Someone out there cares deeply for you...
> "James Donnelly [MVP]" <JDProud(AT)msn.com> wrote in message
> news:o 3aCvAdvEHA.2016@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> >
> > "davout" . Is there any way to limit by time when MS-Messenger can be
> used?
> >
> > As far a MSN goes i do not know of a feature to do this. When my son was
> > younger i used http://www.cyberpatrol.com/ .
> > It is not free but it will do what you want and more.
> >
> > --
> > Be safe
> > James Donnelly
> > MVP MSN Photos
> > http://msmvps.com/msnvision/
> >
> >
>
>
Anonymous
November 2, 2004 12:22:37 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

....and when I was a kid it was the telephone (which was easy for Dad to get
on and start talking) and rarely the computer.

If you block MSN Messenger/.NET Messenger then they could go to AOL IM or
Yahoo IM, etc. When you get 5-10 kids together they will learn to
circumvent your restrictions. It's almost like spy vs. spy. You put in
measures, they develop countermeasures, and you have to then counter their
countermeasures.

Getting a program that will touch all of those applications is a good idea.
Note that some of the IM services now have web-based clients...AOL's has
been out for a while. MSN has one in Beta, and I am not sure if Yahoo! has
a web-based application.

Bob

"davout" <davZZZYYYXXXout@dial.pipex.com> wrote in message
news:418235bd$0$277$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com...
> My kids are spending too much time on MS-Messenger to the detriment of
their
> school work. Is there any way to limit by time when MS-Messenger can be
> used?
>
>
!