Any way to limit access to MS-Messenger by time

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

My kids are spending too much time on MS-Messenger to the detriment of their
school work. Is there any way to limit by time when MS-Messenger can be
used?
4 answers Last reply
More about limit access messenger time
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    "davout" . Is there any way to limit by time when MS-Messenger can be used?

    As far a MSN goes i do not know of a feature to do this. When my son was
    younger i used http://www.cyberpatrol.com/ .
    It is not free but it will do what you want and more.

    --
    Be safe
    James Donnelly

    Also, if you're running XP, you can use a third party firewall to eliminate
    the connection. Depending on the firewall, you can specify times that they
    are allowed to use it, and times they aren't.. But, I would probably take
    James' suggestion as a first option.. Simply because cyberPatrol will not
    only regulate messenger, but also their internet surfing as well.

    One thing I would do if you choose to install CyberPatrol. Put a block in
    for http://webmessenger.msn.com as it is an online version of MSN Messenger.
    It would defeat your whole purpose, if they simply logged in that way
    instead of with the client version (MSN Messenger).

    Hope this helps you.
    Patrick.

    --
    Smile... Someone out there cares deeply for you...
    "James Donnelly [MVP]" <JDProud(AT)msn.com> wrote in message

    > "davout" . Is there any way to limit by time when MS-Messenger can be
    used?

    > As far a MSN goes i do not know of a feature to do this. When my son was
    > younger i used http://www.cyberpatrol.com/ .
    > It is not free but it will do what you want and more.
    >
    > --
    > Be safe
    > James Donnelly
    > MVP MSN Photos
    > http://msmvps.com/msnvision/

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    what you could do is limit msn messenger by using a program called 'Ranger'
    try it, ranger solo would be best. www.rangersuite.com

    zack :o)

    "Patrick Dickey" <pd1ckey43(removeThis)@msn.com> wrote in message
    > Also, if you're running XP, you can use a third party firewall to
    eliminate
    > the connection. Depending on the firewall, you can specify times that
    they
    > are allowed to use it, and times they aren't.. But, I would probably take
    > James' suggestion as a first option.. Simply because cyberPatrol will not
    > only regulate messenger, but also their internet surfing as well.
    >
    > One thing I would do if you choose to install CyberPatrol. Put a block in
    > for http://webmessenger.msn.com as it is an online version of MSN
    Messenger.
    > It would defeat your whole purpose, if they simply logged in that way
    > instead of with the client version (MSN Messenger).
    >
    > Hope this helps you.
    > Patrick.
    >
    > --
    > Smile... Someone out there cares deeply for you...
    > "James Donnelly [MVP]" <JDProud(AT)msn.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "davout" . Is there any way to limit by time when MS-Messenger can be
    > used?
    > >
    > > As far a MSN goes i do not know of a feature to do this. When my son was
    > > younger i used http://www.cyberpatrol.com/ .
    > > It is not free but it will do what you want and more.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Be safe
    > > James Donnelly
    > > MVP MSN Photos
    > > http://msmvps.com/msnvision/

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    ....and when I was a kid it was the telephone (which was easy for Dad to get
    on and start talking) and rarely the computer.

    If you block MSN Messenger/.NET Messenger then they could go to AOL IM or
    Yahoo IM, etc. When you get 5-10 kids together they will learn to
    circumvent your restrictions. It's almost like spy vs. spy. You put in
    measures, they develop countermeasures, and you have to then counter their
    countermeasures.

    Getting a program that will touch all of those applications is a good idea.
    Note that some of the IM services now have web-based clients...AOL's has
    been out for a while. MSN has one in Beta, and I am not sure if Yahoo! has
    a web-based application.

    Bob

    "davout" <davZZZYYYXXXout@dial.pipex.com> wrote in message
    > My kids are spending too much time on MS-Messenger to the detriment of
    their
    > school work. Is there any way to limit by time when MS-Messenger can be
    > used?

Messenger Microsoft MSN Messenger Windows XP