Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

What is the cheapest Win7 I can get for games?

Tags:
  • Dual Boot
  • Games
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
Share
August 3, 2010 9:13:45 PM

I want to buy win7 to dual-boot with my current winXP so I can play some games that require or take advantage of DX10+.
WinXP is still going to be my main OS, and I'll just be rebooting into win7 whenever I feel like playing a game with DX10+. And nothing more than that, just games.
What is the cheapest version of win7 that I should be looking into for that? Be it OEM or whatever, it doesn't matter to me.

Thanks in advance!

More about : cheapest win7 games

a b $ Windows 7
August 3, 2010 9:16:18 PM

home premium
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 3, 2010 9:39:32 PM

^Not really true.

If u are student and meets some requirements u can get Win 7 Pro for only $30.

Check the full requirements here
m
0
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
August 3, 2010 9:47:44 PM

Or you can buy the Chinese pirated ones from Ebay, I bought one. Good immitation, and it activates, meh!!!! Or even cheaper buy a key on Ebay.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 3, 2010 9:48:39 PM

if you are a student, then you can get a copy of win 7 pro for $30
m
0
l
August 3, 2010 9:53:15 PM

I live in Canada, so I'm not eligible for that discount. Wasn't there a Home Basic that was even cheaper than Home Premium?
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 3, 2010 9:55:35 PM

home basic is for netbooks and you cant buy it retail
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 3, 2010 10:09:09 PM

U can buy ANY Win 7 version from here
m
0
l
August 4, 2010 12:49:57 AM

Hm, never knew newegg carried software, too.

Another question, if you don't mind. Up until now 2 gigs of RAM was plenty enough for games, even though Vista launched 3 years ago. But now for some games around 4 gigs of RAM is preferred. What I was wondering is if I should get the 64bit version so I can eventually get more than 4 gigs of RAM when it's needed, or just stick to 32bit for now since games probably won't need much more than 4 gigs of RAM for a long while yet, right?
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 4, 2010 1:06:24 AM

daship said:
Or you can buy the Chinese pirated ones from Ebay, I bought one. Good immitation, and it activates, meh!!!! Or even cheaper buy a key on Ebay.


Are you seriously advertising that you buy pirated versions of windows? :pfff: 
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 4, 2010 1:58:19 AM

guitarxe said:
I live in Canada, so I'm not eligible for that discount. Wasn't there a Home Basic that was even cheaper than Home Premium?

Cheapest price in Canada that i know of OEM version.
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64BIT Dvd Oem
http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=12850SW2113&v...
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 32BIT DVD OEM
http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=12850SW4444&v...
Home Basic is for emerging markets only and not generally available in the Western developed countries.
Windows 7 Starter is lame and not worth it imo.
Home Premium is all most people need just remember MS is sneaky the way they package it.
I've read of many people downloading or buying retail thinking they were getting the 64bit version only to discover that wasn't the case.
m
0
l
a c 376 $ Windows 7
August 4, 2010 4:22:15 PM

guitarxe said:
Hm, never knew newegg carried software, too.

Another question, if you don't mind. Up until now 2 gigs of RAM was plenty enough for games, even though Vista launched 3 years ago. But now for some games around 4 gigs of RAM is preferred. What I was wondering is if I should get the 64bit version so I can eventually get more than 4 gigs of RAM when it's needed, or just stick to 32bit for now since games probably won't need much more than 4 gigs of RAM for a long while yet, right?


Win7 comes with both 64 and 32 bit on one package, you just need to decide which one to install.
m
0
l
August 6, 2010 2:53:54 PM

i am eligible for the win741 but i am building my computer so can i use the $$30 deal i need full version not upgrade right
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 6, 2010 3:18:18 PM

U can do a clean installation with a upgrade DVD version.
m
0
l
August 6, 2010 3:22:54 PM

so i can do that even if i dont have any os on my system
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 6, 2010 3:33:16 PM

Yeah.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 6, 2010 3:34:16 PM

Hi Josh,

Yes, you can do a clean install from an upgrade version of Windows 7, however you do need to have XP or Vista installed in order to do so.

Cheers,
Cassandra
Microsoft Windows Outreach

m
0
l
!