help on Space Race

sharon

Hi, I'm a new player to Civ3, but I think I'm really getting my feet
wet and getting into the game. I'm currently playing a game with the Space
Race Victory goal. I've researched literally everything possible, and
completed the Apollo project. I have aluminum and uranium resources. But I
can't figure out how to build my ship. None of the SS components mentioned in
the Civilopedia are listed in the build menu of any of my cities. I have that
victory condition turned on, and as soon as I completed Apollo, the "S" button
on the lower right corner came on, but it doesn't do anything when I click it.
I suspect that's because I haven't started building a ship yet.
I hate to ask for hints, but... can anyone give me a hint on what I
may be missing? Do I have to build some other military unit before I can start
on the ship components? Some other city improvement? The Civilopedia makes it
sound easy, so I must be missing something.

- Sharon
"Gravity... is a harsh mistress!"

On 25 Aug 2005 08:09:41 -0500, frey@encompasserve.org (Sharon) wrote:

> Hi, I'm a new player to Civ3, but I think I'm really getting my feet
>wet and getting into the game. I'm currently playing a game with the Space
>Race Victory goal. I've researched literally everything possible, and
>completed the Apollo project. I have aluminum and uranium resources. But I
>can't figure out how to build my ship. None of the SS components mentioned in
>the Civilopedia are listed in the build menu of any of my cities. I have that
>victory condition turned on, and as soon as I completed Apollo, the "S" button
>on the lower right corner came on, but it doesn't do anything when I click it.
>I suspect that's because I haven't started building a ship yet.
> I hate to ask for hints, but... can anyone give me a hint on what I
>may be missing? Do I have to build some other military unit before I can start
>on the ship components? Some other city improvement? The Civilopedia makes it
>sound easy, so I must be missing something.

Interesting. The game hasn't already ended for some other reason has
it?

Also, I think the components count as wonders meaning you can't build
them out of anything but resources and great leaders. If what you are
currently building is contaminated with other sources (forest
clearning, unit disbanding, rushing) wonders won't show up as
something you can change to. When the current item finishes it would
reappear. It seems strange that you could have all your cities thus
contaminated, though.

Also, do you still have the Apollo project? Just because you built it
doesn't give you the ability to build spaceship components if you
don't still have it. You can rebuild it if need be.

sharon

In article <3rrrg19rb23hqsg0cggt9c062u4kqnpcpq@4ax.com>, Loren Pechtel <lorenpechtel@remove.hotmail.com> writes:
> Interesting. The game hasn't already ended for some other reason has
> it?

Nope, still going. No side has had a victory yet and this is the only
victory goal I have turned on.

> Also, I think the components count as wonders meaning you can't build
> them out of anything but resources and great leaders. If what you are
> currently building is contaminated with other sources (forest
> clearning, unit disbanding, rushing) wonders won't show up as
> something you can change to. When the current item finishes it would
> reappear. It seems strange that you could have all your cities thus
> contaminated, though.

Hmm, by "great leaders" do you mean that "army" unit you get when one
of your experienced units gets to be renamed? Or do you mean me, Mr. Lincoln?
I'm not clearing any forests or disbanding any units. What's rushing?
I do have "expedite production" (I forget the actual wording of that) turned
on in my city governments, is that rushing?

> Also, do you still have the Apollo project? Just because you built it
> doesn't give you the ability to build spaceship components if you
> don't still have it. You can rebuild it if need be.

Yep, I still control my city that completed Apollo. I'm currently
building the manhattan project so I'm able to build wonders, just not these
particular ones... odd!

- Sharon
"Gravity... is a harsh mistress!"

sharon

In article <1124994856.166157.206580@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>, "Mastiff" <Mastiff_of_Ar@yahoo.com> writes:
> Can you build them in war-time mode?

Asking me? Well, a while back, after I completed APollo and first
noticed that I couldn't build any components, I noticed that I didn't have a
uranium resource. Shouldn't have needed it for those few components that only
required aluminum, but... just in case... I invaded Russia and conquered
several of their cities until I controlled a source of uranium. During that
time I still couldn't build any components.
I then requested a peace treaty so now I'm back in peace-time with (I
think) all of the ingredients, but... nothing.
One possibility: I only have one source of aluminum and one of
uranium. Do I need more?

(Cute note about this game: I chose the American race and told the
computer to randomly generate my three opponents. Was surprised to find that
they're Russia, England, and Japan. Or is that not a coincidence?)

- Sharon
"Gravity... is a harsh mistress!"

"Repent Sharon!" said the Ticktockman. "Get Stuffed!" Sharon replied.
Then he added:

> I have that
> victory condition turned on, and as soon as I completed Apollo, the
> "S" button on the lower right corner came on, but it doesn't do
> anything when I click it. I suspect that's because I haven't started
> building a ship yet.

This really makes it sound like a bug. I every game I've played, when I
click the "S" button, an empty space ship screen comes up if I haven't
started building any componenets yet. Have you downloaded the latest
patch? What year is it in your game?

--
Billy Yank

Quinn: "I'm saying it's us, or them."
Murphy: "Well I choose them."
Q: "That's NOT an option!"
M: "Then you shouldn't have framed it as one."
-Sealab 2021

Billy Yank's Baldur's Gate Photo Portraits
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze2xvw6/

sharon

In article <Xns96BDB95C77DD0billyyanknetzeronet@199.45.49.11>, Billy Yank <billyUSCOREyank@verizonDOT.net> writes:
> "Repent Sharon!" said the Ticktockman. "Get Stuffed!" Sharon replied.
> Then he added:
>
>> I have that
>> victory condition turned on, and as soon as I completed Apollo, the
>> "S" button on the lower right corner came on, but it doesn't do
>> anything when I click it. I suspect that's because I haven't started
>> building a ship yet.
>
> This really makes it sound like a bug. I every game I've played, when I
> click the "S" button, an empty space ship screen comes up if I haven't
> started building any componenets yet. Have you downloaded the latest
> patch? What year is it in your game?

Ahh, I haven't downloaded any patches. I'll do that. I assume I'll
have to abandon this game and try again after the patch is installed? Bummer
that it might be a bug, but at least it means I'm not totally stupid for being
unable to figure this out! I'm currently in something like the year 2075-ish.
Thanks so much for the help!

- Sharon
"Gravity... is a harsh mistress!"

On 26 Aug 2005 09:32:28 -0500, frey@encompasserve.org (Sharon) wrote:

>In article <Xns96BDB95C77DD0billyyanknetzeronet@199.45.49.11>, Billy Yank <billyUSCOREyank@verizonDOT.net> writes:
>> "Repent Sharon!" said the Ticktockman. "Get Stuffed!" Sharon replied.
>> Then he added:
>>
>>> I have that
>>> victory condition turned on, and as soon as I completed Apollo, the
>>> "S" button on the lower right corner came on, but it doesn't do
>>> anything when I click it. I suspect that's because I haven't started
>>> building a ship yet.
>>
>> This really makes it sound like a bug. I every game I've played, when I
>> click the "S" button, an empty space ship screen comes up if I haven't
>> started building any componenets yet. Have you downloaded the latest
>> patch? What year is it in your game?
>
> Ahh, I haven't downloaded any patches. I'll do that. I assume I'll
>have to abandon this game and try again after the patch is installed? Bummer
>that it might be a bug, but at least it means I'm not totally stupid for being
>unable to figure this out! I'm currently in something like the year 2075-ish.
>Thanks so much for the help!

The year is a key -- the game is "over" in 2050. You can keep on
playing, but you can no longer "win," and that includes doing things
which would lead to victory, such as launching the spaceship or
building the UN.

On 25 Aug 2005 12:49:46 -0500, frey@encompasserve.org (Sharon) wrote:

>In article <3rrrg19rb23hqsg0cggt9c062u4kqnpcpq@4ax.com>, Loren Pechtel <lorenpechtel@remove.hotmail.com> writes:
>> Interesting. The game hasn't already ended for some other reason has
>> it?
>
> Nope, still going. No side has had a victory yet and this is the only
>victory goal I have turned on.

It also ends with 2050.

>> Also, I think the components count as wonders meaning you can't build
>> them out of anything but resources and great leaders. If what you are
>> currently building is contaminated with other sources (forest
>> clearning, unit disbanding, rushing) wonders won't show up as
>> something you can change to. When the current item finishes it would
>> reappear. It seems strange that you could have all your cities thus
>> contaminated, though.
>
> Hmm, by "great leaders" do you mean that "army" unit you get when one
>of your experienced units gets to be renamed? Or do you mean me, Mr. Lincoln?

You get a great leader. You can turn him into an army or you can use
him to complete any construction project.

> I'm not clearing any forests or disbanding any units. What's rushing?
>I do have "expedite production" (I forget the actual wording of that) turned
>on in my city governments, is that rushing?

No. Rushing is spending money or people (depending your government
type) to complete something in 1 turn.

>> Also, do you still have the Apollo project? Just because you built it
>> doesn't give you the ability to build spaceship components if you
>> don't still have it. You can rebuild it if need be.
>
> Yep, I still control my city that completed Apollo. I'm currently
>building the manhattan project so I'm able to build wonders, just not these
>particular ones... odd!

Ok, then it's not contaminated production queues. The only thing I
see is that victory is impossible as the game is over.

"Sharon" <frey@encompasserve.org> wrote in message

> In article <3rrrg19rb23hqsg0cggt9c062u4kqnpcpq@4ax.com>, Loren Pechtel
> <lorenpechtel@remove.hotmail.com> writes:
>> Interesting. The game hasn't already ended for some other reason has
>> it?

Silly question maybe, but do you have the advances necessary to build the
components?

On 26 Aug 2005 09:32:28 -0500, frey@encompasserve.org (Sharon) wrote:

>unable to figure this out! I'm currently in something like the year 2075-ish.
>Thanks so much for the help!

The game is over. That's why you can't build the spaceship.

David

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 09:59:40 -0700, Loren Pechtel
<lorenpechtel@remove.hotmail.com> typed furiously:

>On 25 Aug 2005 08:09:41 -0500, frey@encompasserve.org (Sharon) wrote:
>
>> Hi, I'm a new player to Civ3, but I think I'm really getting my feet
>>wet and getting into the game. I'm currently playing a game with the Space
>>Race Victory goal. I've researched literally everything possible, and
>>completed the Apollo project. I have aluminum and uranium resources. But I
>>can't figure out how to build my ship. None of the SS components mentioned in
>>the Civilopedia are listed in the build menu of any of my cities. I have that
>>victory condition turned on, and as soon as I completed Apollo, the "S" button
>>on the lower right corner came on, but it doesn't do anything when I click it.
>>I suspect that's because I haven't started building a ship yet.
>> I hate to ask for hints, but... can anyone give me a hint on what I
>>may be missing? Do I have to build some other military unit before I can start
>>on the ship components? Some other city improvement? The Civilopedia makes it
>>sound easy, so I must be missing something.
>
>Interesting. The game hasn't already ended for some other reason has
>it?
>
>Also, I think the components count as wonders meaning you can't build
>them out of anything but resources and great leaders. If what you are
>currently building is contaminated with other sources (forest
>clearning, unit disbanding, rushing) wonders won't show up as
>something you can change to. When the current item finishes it would
>reappear. It seems strange that you could have all your cities thus
>contaminated, though.
>
>Also, do you still have the Apollo project? Just because you built it
>doesn't give you the ability to build spaceship components if you
>don't still have it. You can rebuild it if need be.

As soon as the Apollo Project is built all Civs gain the ability to
construct space ships. Whoever holds it is immaterial.
--
David
Remove "farook" to reply

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 07:32:39 +0930, David <farookdas@picknowl.com.au>
wrote:

>As soon as the Apollo Project is built all Civs gain the ability to
>construct space ships. Whoever holds it is immaterial.

That's how it worked in Civ *II*, not Civ *III*.

Now Apollo is a small wonder, one per civilization.

sharon

In article <eveug15f6diit3tudbke9oqi19i6acp4e0@4ax.com>, Jeffery S. Jones <jeffsj@execpc.com> writes:
> On 26 Aug 2005 09:32:28 -0500, frey@encompasserve.org (Sharon) wrote:
>
>>In article <Xns96BDB95C77DD0billyyanknetzeronet@199.45.49.11>, Billy Yank <billyUSCOREyank@verizonDOT.net> writes:
>>> "Repent Sharon!" said the Ticktockman. "Get Stuffed!" Sharon replied.
>>> Then he added:

>>> This really makes it sound like a bug. I every game I've played, when I
>>> click the "S" button, an empty space ship screen comes up if I haven't
>>> started building any componenets yet. Have you downloaded the latest
>>> patch? What year is it in your game?
>>
>> Ahh, I haven't downloaded any patches. I'll do that. I assume I'll
>>have to abandon this game and try again after the patch is installed? Bummer
>>that it might be a bug, but at least it means I'm not totally stupid for being
>>unable to figure this out! I'm currently in something like the year 2075-ish.
>>Thanks so much for the help!
>
> The year is a key -- the game is "over" in 2050. You can keep on
> playing, but you can no longer "win," and that includes doing things
> which would lead to victory, such as launching the spaceship or
> building the UN.

Hmm, what if I increased the maximum turns to 1000? I know, it might
be cheating, but as I said, I'm new to the game. Figured I needed a little
leeway. I can probably use the defaults from now on, though, now that I'm
getting the hang of it.
I installed the two patches I found on the "official" website,
restarted my game and now I can bring up the ship screen, so that's
encouraging. However, in this game I discovered that my whole continent which
I control ALL of, has NO aluminum! Argh. So I'm conquering a few neighboring
cities to try to get some. (The AI civs who have aluminum can't seem to be
able to trade it.) I do have a small uranium deposit, so that's good.
Thanks for your help!

- Sharon
"Gravity... is a harsh mistress!"

On 29 Aug 2005 11:42:10 -0500, frey@encompasserve.org (Sharon) wrote:

> Hmm, what if I increased the maximum turns to 1000? I know, it might
>be cheating, but as I said, I'm new to the game. Figured I needed a little
>leeway. I can probably use the defaults from now on, though, now that I'm
>getting the hang of it.
> I installed the two patches I found on the "official" website,
>restarted my game and now I can bring up the ship screen, so that's
>encouraging. However, in this game I discovered that my whole continent which
>I control ALL of, has NO aluminum! Argh. So I'm conquering a few neighboring
>cities to try to get some. (The AI civs who have aluminum can't seem to be
>able to trade it.) I do have a small uranium deposit, so that's good.
> Thanks for your help!
>
> - Sharon
>"Gravity... is a harsh mistress!"

Aluminum is required in order to build the Apollo Program.

>> Thanks for your help!
>>
>> - Sharon
>>"Gravity... is a harsh mistress!"
>
> Aluminum is required in order to build the Apollo Program.

Resources are a good idea in theory but often make or break a decent game.
If u do not get iron/coal/rubber for example u r in trouble.
The only way to play Civ 3 is go for a massive land grab at start of game or
be able to conquer lots of land - trading is too unpredictable to be relied
on (

ATB
The Chris

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 12:55:21 GMT, "The Chris"
<chris_barry@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Thanks for your help!
>>>
>>> - Sharon
>>>"Gravity... is a harsh mistress!"
>>
>> Aluminum is required in order to build the Apollo Program.
>
>Resources are a good idea in theory but often make or break a decent game.
>If u do not get iron/coal/rubber for example u r in trouble.
>The only way to play Civ 3 is go for a massive land grab at start of game or
>be able to conquer lots of land - trading is too unpredictable to be relied
>on (

You don't have to conquer lots of land. But you do need to make
sure you get any critical resources. Sometimes, you can grab them
without conquest if they are close enough to the border, though that
isn't always safe or reliable, especially if you have lower culture.

Trading isn't predictable always, but it can be workable if you have
enough things to trade. Resources are in short supply, though, so the
AI won't often trade them with you if another AI needs it as well.