  • Computers
Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
August 24, 2005 3:01:49 AM

Hello,

I plan to purchase a new Windows PC, and I would like to transfer all the
data I created (My Documents Folder, e-mail contacts, browser favorites
etc,) to the new PC in a hassle free way. Is there an effective software
program, that would help me move these files and folders? I am currently
using a Dell Windows 98, and my new computer would be a Dell Windows XP.

Thanks

Ralph

More about : migrating files

Anonymous
August 24, 2005 3:01:50 AM

Ralph,
Are you planning to Keep the W98 PC, and that it has a Ethernet connection?
If it Yes, consider also purchasing a router and two (2) straight through Ethernet cables, if you don't have one (1) cable already. Then create a Network for your Dells. This way you can copy files from one PC to another easily.

For Outlook Express issues, take a look at Tom Koch's site for Backing Up OE:
http://www.insideoe.com/backup/

--

Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>

"Ralph" <NoSpam285@semq.com> wrote in message news:xVNOe.866$_84.578@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net...
Hello,

I plan to purchase a new Windows PC, and I would like to transfer all the
data I created (My Documents Folder, e-mail contacts, browser favorites
etc,) to the new PC in a hassle free way. Is there an effective software
program, that would help me move these files and folders? I am currently
using a Dell Windows 98, and my new computer would be a Dell Windows XP.

Thanks

Ralph
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 3:04:09 AM

"Ralph" <NoSpam285@semq.com> wrote in

> Hello,
>
> I plan to purchase a new Windows PC, and I would like to
> transfer all the data I created (My Documents Folder, e-mail
> contacts, browser favorites etc,) to the new PC in a hassle free
> way. Is there an effective software program, that would help me
> move these files and folders? I am currently using a Dell
> Windows 98, and my new computer would be a Dell Windows XP.
>
> Thanks
>
> Ralph

The File and Settings Transfer Wizard provided with XP can do the biz
for you.

<http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/d...
t.mspx>
August 24, 2005 3:11:49 AM

"McSpreader" <invalid@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Ralph" <NoSpam285@semq.com> wrote in
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I plan to purchase a new Windows PC, and I would like to
>> transfer all the data I created (My Documents Folder, e-mail
>> contacts, browser favorites etc,) to the new PC in a hassle free
>> way. Is there an effective software program, that would help me
>> move these files and folders? I am currently using a Dell
>> Windows 98, and my new computer would be a Dell Windows XP.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Ralph
>
> The File and Settings Transfer Wizard provided with XP can do the biz
> for you.
>
> <http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/d...
> t.mspx>

But it is a pain, compared to eBackup from www.inachis.com. Even more
Outlook Express Rules.

Tom
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 5:07:50 AM

USB crossover cable...connect the two machines, use drag and drop. Could
not be simpler.

Bobby

"RRR_News" <RRR_News@isp.com> wrote in message
[...]

August 24, 2005 8:11:56 AM

Or Ethernet crossover cable. However, extracting email messages, address book
etc from Outlook or Outlook Express requires some work... Ben Myers

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 01:07:50 GMT, "NoNoBadDog!" <no_@spam_verizon.net> wrote:

>USB crossover cable...connect the two machines, use drag and drop. Could
>not be simpler.
>
>Bobby
>
>"RRR_News" <RRR_News@isp.com> wrote in message
>Ralph,
>Are you planning to Keep the W98 PC, and that it has a Ethernet connection?
>If it Yes, consider also purchasing a router and two (2) straight through
>Ethernet cables, if you don't have one (1) cable already. Then create a
>Network for your Dells. This way you can copy files from one PC to another
>easily.
>
>For Outlook Express issues, take a look at Tom Koch's site for Backing Up
>OE:
>http://www.insideoe.com/backup/
>
>--
>
>Rich/rerat
>
>(RRR News) <message rule>
><<Previous Text Snipped to Save Bandwidth When Appropriate>>
>

>"Ralph" <NoSpam285@semq.com> wrote in message
>Hello,
>
>I plan to purchase a new Windows PC, and I would like to transfer all the
>data I created (My Documents Folder, e-mail contacts, browser favorites
>etc,) to the new PC in a hassle free way. Is there an effective software
>program, that would help me move these files and folders? I am currently
>using a Dell Windows 98, and my new computer would be a Dell Windows XP.
>
>Thanks
>
>Ralph

Anonymous
August 24, 2005 9:32:54 AM

Ralph wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I plan to purchase a new Windows PC, and I would like to transfer all the
> data I created (My Documents Folder, e-mail contacts, browser favorites
> etc,) to the new PC in a hassle free way. Is there an effective software
> program, that would help me move these files and folders? I am currently
> using a Dell Windows 98, and my new computer would be a Dell Windows XP.
>
> Thanks
>
> Ralph

Well as others have suggested, if you're planning to keep your old
computer then the simplest method is to network the two machines either
with a switch and two standard cables or a crossover cable (no
hub/switch).

I wanted to add a few recommendations: First off, I'd recommend picking
up a router (it will have a built in switch which you can use to
transfer the files). Even after you're done transfering the files, it's
generally good practice to keep your computer(s) behind a router (almost
every router these days has a built in firewall and NAT, both protect
your PC from many bad things like worms on the internet). Next, you
didn't mention what email client or web browser you're currently using;
by the headers I can see you're at least using Outlook Express to post
here and I'll presume you browse the web with Internet Explorer since
you call your saved links, "favorites". I strongly urge you to consider
trying out a truely free and open source email client called
Thunderbird, and an excellent (again free, open source) browser called
Firefox. You can install them in both Windows 98 and XP (and Linux, OS
X, and just about every other major OS). They will import your OE
messages and contacts, and IE Favorites easily. The benefits of the
Thunderbird and Firefox is that they're generally considered much more
secure and render most messages/web pages faster (also you still keep
IE/OE for things that work better with them). If you need help
importing to Thunderbird or Firefox, just post -- there's tons of people
here that use them (both can be found at www.mozilla.org).
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 5:09:48 PM

> Or Ethernet crossover cable. However, extracting email messages, address
> book
> etc from Outlook or Outlook Express requires some work... Ben Myers

Ben,

For OE anyway, Inachis (as Tom had posted) absolutely rocks - even for the
new user.

It will backup and restore:

- OE address book
- OE messages and folders (including newsgroups)
- Favorites folder
- and "Custom Data" folders (any folders selected by the user)

It saves them in an Inachis E-Backup extension.

To restore all of those things selected, you just install Inachis, point it
to the folder where the backup file/image resides, and presto.

It is a cool free program...

Stew
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 10:47:49 PM

Neato! Wonder if it works for Outlook, too? I have to do a migration of files
from one computer (hard drive actually) to another today. Not sure what the guy
or his kids use for email. I'll find out.

I also saved a Word doc I got from somewhere that explained how to traverse
through folders to find the Outlook stuff... Ben

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 13:09:48 -0500, "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote:

>> Or Ethernet crossover cable. However, extracting email messages, address
>> book
>> etc from Outlook or Outlook Express requires some work... Ben Myers
>>

>Ben,
>
>For OE anyway, Inachis (as Tom had posted) absolutely rocks - even for the
>new user.
>
>It will backup and restore:
>
>- OE address book
>- OE messages and folders (including newsgroups)
>- Favorites folder
>- and "Custom Data" folders (any folders selected by the user)
>
>It saves them in an Inachis E-Backup extension.
>
>To restore all of those things selected, you just install Inachis, point it
>to the folder where the backup file/image resides, and presto.
>
>It is a cool free program...
>

>Stew

Anonymous
August 24, 2005 11:20:07 PM

OE only. Fantastic products
> Neato! Wonder if it works for Outlook, too? I have to do a migration of
> files
> from one computer (hard drive actually) to another today. Not sure what
> the guy
> or his kids use for email. I'll find out.
>
> I also saved a Word doc I got from somewhere that explained how to
> traverse
> through folders to find the Outlook stuff... Ben
>
> On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 13:09:48 -0500, "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote:
>

>><ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
>>> Or Ethernet crossover cable. However, extracting email messages,
>>> address
>>> book
>>> etc from Outlook or Outlook Express requires some work... Ben Myers
>>>

>>Ben,
>>
>>For OE anyway, Inachis (as Tom had posted) absolutely rocks - even for the
>>new user.
>>
>>It will backup and restore:
>>
>>- OE address book
>>- OE messages and folders (including newsgroups)
>>- Favorites folder
>>- and "Custom Data" folders (any folders selected by the user)
>>
>>It saves them in an Inachis E-Backup extension.
>>
>>To restore all of those things selected, you just install Inachis, point
>>it
>>to the folder where the backup file/image resides, and presto.
>>
>>It is a cool free program...
>>

>>Stew

Anonymous
August 24, 2005 11:58:51 PM

Oh, well. Does some of the job I need to have done.

My typical file migration scenario usually involves a dead or badly functioning
computer on one end, so I usually hook up the drive from the old computer to the
new computer. After disinfecting the old drive, of course. So I normally have
to search out the email files anyway... Ben Myers

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 19:20:07 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:

>OE only. Fantastic products
>> Neato! Wonder if it works for Outlook, too? I have to do a migration of
>> files
>> from one computer (hard drive actually) to another today. Not sure what
>> the guy
>> or his kids use for email. I'll find out.
>>
>> I also saved a Word doc I got from somewhere that explained how to
>> traverse
>> through folders to find the Outlook stuff... Ben
>>
>> On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 13:09:48 -0500, "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote:
>>

>>><ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
>>>>

>>>Ben,
>>>
>>>For OE anyway, Inachis (as Tom had posted) absolutely rocks - even for the
>>>new user.
>>>
>>>It will backup and restore:
>>>
>>>- OE address book
>>>- OE messages and folders (including newsgroups)
>>>- Favorites folder
>>>- and "Custom Data" folders (any folders selected by the user)
>>>
>>>It saves them in an Inachis E-Backup extension.
>>>
>>>To restore all of those things selected, you just install Inachis, point
>>>it
>>>to the folder where the backup file/image resides, and presto.
>>>
>>>It is a cool free program...
>>>

>>>Stew

Anonymous
August 24, 2005 11:58:52 PM

> Oh, well. Does some of the job I need to have done.
>
> My typical file migration scenario usually involves a dead or badly
> functioning
> computer on one end, so I usually hook up the drive from the old computer
> to the
> new computer. After disinfecting the old drive, of course. So I normally
> have
> to search out the email files anyway... Ben Myers

I wish it worked for Outlook as well.

But, for those OE machines where a quick backup is needed for safety or an
OS reinstall, it's a great program - and is still free.

Stew
August 25, 2005 7:36:45 AM

In article <430cc058.3523849@nntp.charter.net>,
ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) says...
> Neato! Wonder if it works for Outlook, too? I have to do a migration of files
> from one computer (hard drive actually) to another today. Not sure what the guy
> or his kids use for email. I'll find out.
>
> I also saved a Word doc I got from somewhere that explained how to traverse
> through folders to find the Outlook stuff... Ben
>
> On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 13:09:48 -0500, "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote:
>

> ><ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
> >> Or Ethernet crossover cable. However, extracting email messages, address
> >> book
> >> etc from Outlook or Outlook Express requires some work... Ben Myers
> >>

> >Ben,
> >
> >For OE anyway, Inachis (as Tom had posted) absolutely rocks - even for the
> >new user.
> >
> >It will backup and restore:
> >
> >- OE address book
> >- OE messages and folders (including newsgroups)
> >- Favorites folder
> >- and "Custom Data" folders (any folders selected by the user)
> >
> >It saves them in an Inachis E-Backup extension.
> >
> >To restore all of those things selected, you just install Inachis, point it
> >to the folder where the backup file/image resides, and presto.
> >
> >It is a cool free program...
> >

> >Stew

In a recent tech call to Microsoft because I was trying to set up
Outlook pst folders on a new hard drive, I was told that Outlook
2003 uses a different programming language (or something like
that), and that you can't just transfer the pst files over.

However, Outlook does have an import function which works quite
well. Put your old pst files on your new machine in a temp folder,
or the desktop, or wherever, and then after setting up mail
profiles etc., import the info from the older version to the new
one.

Louise
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 11:45:51 AM

Tom, I've downloaded this program but haven't installed it yet. The site
states..." e-Backup is provided as shareware and has a 90 day trial period.
Although the program remains fully functional after the trial, you must
purchase a valid license if you continue to use it." Have you found this to
be true or does it continue to work without buying a license?
Thanks,
Monica

> But it is a pain, compared to eBackup from www.inachis.com. Even more
> Outlook Express Rules.
>
> Tom

Anonymous
August 25, 2005 6:22:38 PM

It still works, but I paid for it. We use it a lot and it seemed fair.
Pretty cheap.

If you need it for a one-time move, then just use it. If you're using it
continually, buy it.

Tom
"Monica" <monicakm@cox-internet.com> wrote in message
> Tom, I've downloaded this program but haven't installed it yet. The site
> states..." e-Backup is provided as shareware and has a 90 day trial
> period. Although the program remains fully functional after the trial, you
> must purchase a valid license if you continue to use it." Have you found
> this to be true or does it continue to work without buying a license?
> Thanks,
> Monica
>
>> But it is a pain, compared to eBackup from www.inachis.com. Even more
>> Outlook Express Rules.
>>
>> Tom

Anonymous
August 25, 2005 6:22:39 PM

news:o ukPe.83339$dJ5.19638@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
> It still works, but I paid for it. We use it a lot and it seemed fair.
> Pretty cheap.
>
> If you need it for a one-time move, then just use it. If you're using it
> continually, buy it.
>
> Tom

It's worth paying for. The version I'm using is apparently an older one as
it hasn't expired.........

Stew
August 30, 2005 4:38:16 PM

Dell sells a "Dell PC Replacement Suite: Migrate, Cleanup, Backup, Protect"
and also Aloha Bob. Is it advisable to buy one of these programs, since
Windows XP comes with a file transfer wizard. I also want to strip off my
old computer with all my data before I donate it. Does that mean I should
buy the above software?

Thanks in advance

Ralph
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 10:55:12 AM

I tried Alohabob, and I HATE it. It claims it can transfer files across
a home network. It sure didn't work for me. I spent hours trying to get
the network connectivity to go. The network was already up and running,
btw. I disconnected from the Internet, turned off my firewall, but
still, no go. It also had trouble with Norton. I spent hours getting it
to work properly and even then I spent hours messing with the registry,
which I've never done before, and it was pretty scary. Ultimately I
ended up re-installing most apps from source. It also creates a bunch of
garbage directories that hold files it had trouble with. There seems to
be no rhyme or reason to what goes and what doesn't. To be fair, I have
a multi-disk drive, highly tuned system. It really seemed to have
trouble with multiple disks. I'm not a happy customer.

John

Ralph wrote:
> Dell sells a "Dell PC Replacement Suite: Migrate, Cleanup, Backup, Protect"
> and also Aloha Bob. Is it advisable to buy one of these programs, since
> Windows XP comes with a file transfer wizard. I also want to strip off my
> old computer with all my data before I donate it. Does that mean I should
> buy the above software?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Ralph

Anonymous
September 1, 2005 12:34:15 PM

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 06:55:12 GMT, JPryor <jpryor@san.rr.com> wrote:

>I tried Alohabob, and I HATE it. It claims it can transfer files across
>a home network. It sure didn't work for me. I spent hours trying to get
>the network connectivity to go. The network was already up and running,
>btw. I disconnected from the Internet, turned off my firewall, but
>still, no go. It also had trouble with Norton. I spent hours getting it
>to work properly and even then I spent hours messing with the registry,
>which I've never done before, and it was pretty scary. Ultimately I
>ended up re-installing most apps from source. It also creates a bunch of
>garbage directories that hold files it had trouble with. There seems to
>be no rhyme or reason to what goes and what doesn't. To be fair, I have
>a multi-disk drive, highly tuned system. It really seemed to have
>trouble with multiple disks. I'm not a happy customer.
>
>John
>
>Ralph wrote:
>> Dell sells a "Dell PC Replacement Suite: Migrate, Cleanup, Backup, Protect"
>> and also Aloha Bob. Is it advisable to buy one of these programs, since
>> Windows XP comes with a file transfer wizard. I also want to strip off my
>> old computer with all my data before I donate it. Does that mean I should
>> buy the above software?
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>>
>> Ralph

I gave up on a similar program (PCMover) from Laplink, and ended up
doing it all manually, program by program.
September 2, 2005 11:28:38 PM

Hello again.

So to transfer files and programs to my new PC and to erase all the personal
data on my old one (Windows 98), I have the Windows XP wizard which can
transfer files but not programs I downloaded, and the wizard won't erase my
old PC. If Aloha Bob works poorly, is there a software program that does
both easily? Creating a network between two computers and doing it manually,
I'm afraid sounds a bit too techie for my capabilities.

Any ideas folks?

Thanks
Ralph
!