Migrating files to a new PC

Hello,

I plan to purchase a new Windows PC, and I would like to transfer all the
data I created (My Documents Folder, e-mail contacts, browser favorites
etc,) to the new PC in a hassle free way. Is there an effective software
program, that would help me move these files and folders? I am currently
using a Dell Windows 98, and my new computer would be a Dell Windows XP.

Thanks

Ralph
19 answers Last reply
More about migrating files

    Ralph,
    Are you planning to Keep the W98 PC, and that it has a Ethernet connection?
    If it Yes, consider also purchasing a router and two (2) straight through Ethernet cables, if you don't have one (1) cable already. Then create a Network for your Dells. This way you can copy files from one PC to another easily.

    For Outlook Express issues, take a look at Tom Koch's site for Backing Up OE:
    http://www.insideoe.com/backup/

    --

    Rich/rerat

    (RRR News) <message rule>

    "Ralph" <NoSpam285@semq.com> wrote in message news:xVNOe.866$_84.578@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net...
    Hello,

    I plan to purchase a new Windows PC, and I would like to transfer all the
    data I created (My Documents Folder, e-mail contacts, browser favorites
    etc,) to the new PC in a hassle free way. Is there an effective software
    program, that would help me move these files and folders? I am currently
    using a Dell Windows 98, and my new computer would be a Dell Windows XP.

    Thanks

    Ralph

    "Ralph" <NoSpam285@semq.com> wrote in

    > Hello,
    >
    > I plan to purchase a new Windows PC, and I would like to
    > transfer all the data I created (My Documents Folder, e-mail
    > contacts, browser favorites etc,) to the new PC in a hassle free
    > way. Is there an effective software program, that would help me
    > move these files and folders? I am currently using a Dell
    > Windows 98, and my new computer would be a Dell Windows XP.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Ralph

    The File and Settings Transfer Wizard provided with XP can do the biz
    for you.

    <http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/deploy/mgrtfse
    t.mspx>

    "McSpreader" <invalid@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > "Ralph" <NoSpam285@semq.com> wrote in
    >
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I plan to purchase a new Windows PC, and I would like to
    >> transfer all the data I created (My Documents Folder, e-mail
    >> contacts, browser favorites etc,) to the new PC in a hassle free
    >> way. Is there an effective software program, that would help me
    >> move these files and folders? I am currently using a Dell
    >> Windows 98, and my new computer would be a Dell Windows XP.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Ralph
    >
    > The File and Settings Transfer Wizard provided with XP can do the biz
    > for you.
    >
    > <http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/deploy/mgrtfse
    > t.mspx>

    But it is a pain, compared to eBackup from www.inachis.com. Even more
    Outlook Express Rules.

    Tom

    USB crossover cable...connect the two machines, use drag and drop. Could
    not be simpler.

    Bobby

    "RRR_News" <RRR_News@isp.com> wrote in message
[...]

    Or Ethernet crossover cable. However, extracting email messages, address book
    etc from Outlook or Outlook Express requires some work... Ben Myers

    Ralph wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I plan to purchase a new Windows PC, and I would like to transfer all the
    > data I created (My Documents Folder, e-mail contacts, browser favorites
    > etc,) to the new PC in a hassle free way. Is there an effective software
    > program, that would help me move these files and folders? I am currently
    > using a Dell Windows 98, and my new computer would be a Dell Windows XP.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Ralph

    Well as others have suggested, if you're planning to keep your old
    computer then the simplest method is to network the two machines either
    with a switch and two standard cables or a crossover cable (no
    hub/switch).

    I wanted to add a few recommendations: First off, I'd recommend picking
    up a router (it will have a built in switch which you can use to
    transfer the files). Even after you're done transfering the files, it's
    generally good practice to keep your computer(s) behind a router (almost
    every router these days has a built in firewall and NAT, both protect
    your PC from many bad things like worms on the internet). Next, you
    didn't mention what email client or web browser you're currently using;
    by the headers I can see you're at least using Outlook Express to post
    here and I'll presume you browse the web with Internet Explorer since
    you call your saved links, "favorites". I strongly urge you to consider
    trying out a truely free and open source email client called
    Thunderbird, and an excellent (again free, open source) browser called
    Firefox. You can install them in both Windows 98 and XP (and Linux, OS
    X, and just about every other major OS). They will import your OE
    messages and contacts, and IE Favorites easily. The benefits of the
    Thunderbird and Firefox is that they're generally considered much more
    secure and render most messages/web pages faster (also you still keep
    IE/OE for things that work better with them). If you need help
    importing to Thunderbird or Firefox, just post -- there's tons of people
    here that use them (both can be found at www.mozilla.org).

    > Or Ethernet crossover cable. However, extracting email messages, address
    > book
    > etc from Outlook or Outlook Express requires some work... Ben Myers

    Ben,

    For OE anyway, Inachis (as Tom had posted) absolutely rocks - even for the
    new user.

    It will backup and restore:

    - OE address book
    - OE messages and folders (including newsgroups)
    - Favorites folder
    - and "Custom Data" folders (any folders selected by the user)

    It saves them in an Inachis E-Backup extension.

    To restore all of those things selected, you just install Inachis, point it
    to the folder where the backup file/image resides, and presto.

    It is a cool free program...

    Stew

    Neato! Wonder if it works for Outlook, too? I have to do a migration of files
    from one computer (hard drive actually) to another today. Not sure what the guy
    or his kids use for email. I'll find out.

    I also saved a Word doc I got from somewhere that explained how to traverse
    through folders to find the Outlook stuff... Ben

    On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 13:09:48 -0500, "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote:

    >> Or Ethernet crossover cable. However, extracting email messages, address
    >> book
    >> etc from Outlook or Outlook Express requires some work... Ben Myers
    >>

    >Ben,
    >
    >For OE anyway, Inachis (as Tom had posted) absolutely rocks - even for the
    >new user.
    >
    >It will backup and restore:
    >
    >- OE address book
    >- OE messages and folders (including newsgroups)
    >- Favorites folder
    >- and "Custom Data" folders (any folders selected by the user)
    >
    >It saves them in an Inachis E-Backup extension.
    >
    >To restore all of those things selected, you just install Inachis, point it
    >to the folder where the backup file/image resides, and presto.
    >
    >It is a cool free program...
    >

    >Stew

    OE only. Fantastic products
    > Neato! Wonder if it works for Outlook, too? I have to do a migration of
    > files
    > from one computer (hard drive actually) to another today. Not sure what
    > the guy
    > or his kids use for email. I'll find out.
    >
    > I also saved a Word doc I got from somewhere that explained how to
    > traverse
    > through folders to find the Outlook stuff... Ben
    >
    > On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 13:09:48 -0500, "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote:
    >

    >><ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
    >>> Or Ethernet crossover cable. However, extracting email messages,
    >>> address
    >>> book
    >>> etc from Outlook or Outlook Express requires some work... Ben Myers
    >>>

    >>Ben,
    >>
    >>For OE anyway, Inachis (as Tom had posted) absolutely rocks - even for the
    >>new user.
    >>
    >>It will backup and restore:
    >>
    >>- OE address book
    >>- OE messages and folders (including newsgroups)
    >>- Favorites folder
    >>- and "Custom Data" folders (any folders selected by the user)
    >>
    >>It saves them in an Inachis E-Backup extension.
    >>
    >>To restore all of those things selected, you just install Inachis, point
    >>it
    >>to the folder where the backup file/image resides, and presto.
    >>
    >>It is a cool free program...
    >>

    >>Stew

    Oh, well. Does some of the job I need to have done.

    My typical file migration scenario usually involves a dead or badly functioning
    computer on one end, so I usually hook up the drive from the old computer to the
    new computer. After disinfecting the old drive, of course. So I normally have
    to search out the email files anyway... Ben Myers

    > Oh, well. Does some of the job I need to have done.
    >
    > My typical file migration scenario usually involves a dead or badly
    > functioning
    > computer on one end, so I usually hook up the drive from the old computer
    > to the
    > new computer. After disinfecting the old drive, of course. So I normally
    > have
    > to search out the email files anyway... Ben Myers

    I wish it worked for Outlook as well.

    But, for those OE machines where a quick backup is needed for safety or an
    OS reinstall, it's a great program - and is still free.

    Stew

    In article <430cc058.3523849@nntp.charter.net>,
    ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) says...
    > Neato! Wonder if it works for Outlook, too? I have to do a migration of files
    > from one computer (hard drive actually) to another today. Not sure what the guy
    > or his kids use for email. I'll find out.
    >
    > I also saved a Word doc I got from somewhere that explained how to traverse
    > through folders to find the Outlook stuff... Ben
    >
    > On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 13:09:48 -0500, "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote:
    >

    > ><ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
    > >> Or Ethernet crossover cable. However, extracting email messages, address
    > >> book
    > >> etc from Outlook or Outlook Express requires some work... Ben Myers
    > >>

    > >Ben,
    > >
    > >For OE anyway, Inachis (as Tom had posted) absolutely rocks - even for the
    > >new user.
    > >
    > >It will backup and restore:
    > >
    > >- OE address book
    > >- OE messages and folders (including newsgroups)
    > >- Favorites folder
    > >- and "Custom Data" folders (any folders selected by the user)
    > >
    > >It saves them in an Inachis E-Backup extension.
    > >
    > >To restore all of those things selected, you just install Inachis, point it
    > >to the folder where the backup file/image resides, and presto.
    > >
    > >It is a cool free program...
    > >

    > >Stew

    In a recent tech call to Microsoft because I was trying to set up
    Outlook pst folders on a new hard drive, I was told that Outlook
    2003 uses a different programming language (or something like
    that), and that you can't just transfer the pst files over.

    However, Outlook does have an import function which works quite
    well. Put your old pst files on your new machine in a temp folder,
    or the desktop, or wherever, and then after setting up mail
    profiles etc., import the info from the older version to the new
    one.

    Louise

    Tom, I've downloaded this program but haven't installed it yet. The site
    states..." e-Backup is provided as shareware and has a 90 day trial period.
    Although the program remains fully functional after the trial, you must
    purchase a valid license if you continue to use it." Have you found this to
    be true or does it continue to work without buying a license?
    Thanks,
    Monica

    > But it is a pain, compared to eBackup from www.inachis.com. Even more
    > Outlook Express Rules.
    >
    > Tom

    It still works, but I paid for it. We use it a lot and it seemed fair.
    Pretty cheap.

    If you need it for a one-time move, then just use it. If you're using it
    continually, buy it.

    Tom

    > It still works, but I paid for it. We use it a lot and it seemed fair.
    > Pretty cheap.
    >
    > If you need it for a one-time move, then just use it. If you're using it
    > continually, buy it.
    >
    > Tom

    It's worth paying for. The version I'm using is apparently an older one as
    it hasn't expired.........

    Stew

    Dell sells a "Dell PC Replacement Suite: Migrate, Cleanup, Backup, Protect"
    and also Aloha Bob. Is it advisable to buy one of these programs, since
    Windows XP comes with a file transfer wizard. I also want to strip off my
    old computer with all my data before I donate it. Does that mean I should
    buy the above software?

    Thanks in advance

    Ralph

    I tried Alohabob, and I HATE it. It claims it can transfer files across
    a home network. It sure didn't work for me. I spent hours trying to get
    the network connectivity to go. The network was already up and running,
    btw. I disconnected from the Internet, turned off my firewall, but
    still, no go. It also had trouble with Norton. I spent hours getting it
    to work properly and even then I spent hours messing with the registry,
    which I've never done before, and it was pretty scary. Ultimately I
    ended up re-installing most apps from source. It also creates a bunch of
    garbage directories that hold files it had trouble with. There seems to
    be no rhyme or reason to what goes and what doesn't. To be fair, I have
    a multi-disk drive, highly tuned system. It really seemed to have
    trouble with multiple disks. I'm not a happy customer.

    John

    On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 06:55:12 GMT, JPryor <jpryor@san.rr.com> wrote:

    >I tried Alohabob, and I HATE it. It claims it can transfer files across
    >a home network. It sure didn't work for me. I spent hours trying to get
    >the network connectivity to go. The network was already up and running,
    >btw. I disconnected from the Internet, turned off my firewall, but
    >still, no go. It also had trouble with Norton. I spent hours getting it
    >to work properly and even then I spent hours messing with the registry,
    >which I've never done before, and it was pretty scary. Ultimately I
    >ended up re-installing most apps from source. It also creates a bunch of
    >garbage directories that hold files it had trouble with. There seems to
    >be no rhyme or reason to what goes and what doesn't. To be fair, I have
    >a multi-disk drive, highly tuned system. It really seemed to have
    >trouble with multiple disks. I'm not a happy customer.
    >
    >John
    >
    >Ralph wrote:
    >> Dell sells a "Dell PC Replacement Suite: Migrate, Cleanup, Backup, Protect"
    >> and also Aloha Bob. Is it advisable to buy one of these programs, since
    >> Windows XP comes with a file transfer wizard. I also want to strip off my
    >> old computer with all my data before I donate it. Does that mean I should
    >> buy the above software?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance
    >>
    >> Ralph

    I gave up on a similar program (PCMover) from Laplink, and ended up
    doing it all manually, program by program.

    Hello again.

    So to transfer files and programs to my new PC and to erase all the personal
    data on my old one (Windows 98), I have the Windows XP wizard which can
    transfer files but not programs I downloaded, and the wizard won't erase my
    old PC. If Aloha Bob works poorly, is there a software program that does
    both easily? Creating a network between two computers and doing it manually,
    I'm afraid sounds a bit too techie for my capabilities.

    Any ideas folks?

    Thanks
    Ralph

Dell My Documents Computers