Hoover Dam

Hi!

I just completed the Hoover Dam, which claims to provide the benefits of
hydro power to every city on the continent. A lot of my cities already had
coal plants powering the factories. Since hydro power would replace coal
power, I decide to sell off my coal plants. Well...was I surprised when my
shield production went way down. Didn't the hydro plant replace the coal
plant, including the 50% bonus of shield production? Was the coal plant
still functioning, and producing the shield bonus, even after the hydro
plant? I think the hydro plant says that it replaces all other power
sources. I would like to sell off my coal plants and get the money out of
them, but not if I'm going to take a 50% shield hit. Thanks!
4 answers Last reply
More about hoover
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    "barefoot_tom" <barefoot_tom@spamfree.yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi!
    >
    > I just completed the Hoover Dam, which claims to provide the benefits of
    > hydro power to every city on the continent. A lot of my cities already had
    > coal plants powering the factories. Since hydro power would replace coal
    > power, I decide to sell off my coal plants. Well...was I surprised when my
    > shield production went way down. Didn't the hydro plant replace the coal
    > plant, including the 50% bonus of shield production? Was the coal plant
    > still functioning, and producing the shield bonus, even after the hydro
    > plant? I think the hydro plant says that it replaces all other power
    > sources. I would like to sell off my coal plants and get the money out of
    > them, but not if I'm going to take a 50% shield hit. Thanks!

    Power plants are not cumulative. Are you sure the hydro plants were listed
    in the city improvements for the cities where you sold the coal plant? The
    only other explanation would be the city display needs to update somehow
    when you sell the coal plant.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    Yes, the hydro plant was list in the city improvements along with the now
    useless (I thought) coal plant. However, deleting the coal plant caused
    shield production to go way down. And...I think I have just verified that
    building a coal plant, even with a functioning hydro plant, gave me the
    50% bonus back again. I wonder if the hydro plants produced by Hoover dam
    don't replace the production bonus from the coal plants.
    I've got many saved games at this point so I may do further experimenting.
    However, I will not dump anymore coal plants!

    ..tom..
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    > Yes, the hydro plant was list in the city improvements along with the now
    > useless (I thought) coal plant. However, deleting the coal plant caused
    > shield production to go way down. And...I think I have just verified that
    > building a coal plant, even with a functioning hydro plant, gave me the
    > 50% bonus back again. I wonder if the hydro plants produced by Hoover dam
    > don't replace the production bonus from the coal plants.
    > I've got many saved games at this point so I may do further experimenting.
    > However, I will not dump anymore coal plants!

    If this is true, it is a new bug that i have not read about before. I
    suppose it is possible that it was introduced with C3C and nobody ever
    noticed. A lot of players don't bother with coal plants and just wait for
    hoovers.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 00:18:55 -0400, "barefoot_tom"
    <barefoot_tom@spamfree.yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Yes, the hydro plant was list in the city improvements along with the now
    >useless (I thought) coal plant. However, deleting the coal plant caused
    >shield production to go way down. And...I think I have just verified that
    >building a coal plant, even with a functioning hydro plant, gave me the
    >50% bonus back again. I wonder if the hydro plants produced by Hoover dam
    >don't replace the production bonus from the coal plants.
    >I've got many saved games at this point so I may do further experimenting.
    >However, I will not dump anymore coal plants!
    >
    >.tom..

    I think most people who sell off the coal plants do it before the
    Hoover dam completes. Normally a hydro plant replaces a coal plant.
    The production bonus is the same without the pollution. I never
    checked but the coal plant may remain because loosing the Hoover dam
    would loose the hydro plant.

    Also remember the Hoover dam is for the same continent only. Cities
    which are not connected to the same continent will not get the benefit
    of the Hoover dam.

Games Power Video Games