Remote Assistance Broke!

Hi all,

My remote assistance used to work fine but is now broken!

I am trying to use it on my home network which consists of a Linksys BEFSR41
and two PC's running XP and SP2, UPnP is enabled on both machines and on the
router.

I have MSN 6.2 and have also reinstalled Messenger within XP as I was unsure
if this is required in addition to MSN even if it is not running.

Mcafee firewall running

The problem I get is that I can request remote assistance from machine a to
machine b, machine b accepts and the help and support window opens. I then
get (still on machine b) a with called "Remote assistance -- Web Page
Dialog" which informs me "Remote Assistance failed, please try again"

Any ideas?

An update on this.....

Testing with a friend tonight over the internet, he was also using XP home
SP2.

If I initiated the invite from messenger it worked fine, if he initiated the
invite I get the error described below.

Same problem exists with linksys router physically removed so its nothing to
do with that.

Same problem exists on all four Xp SP" machines I have.

Any ideas?

Paul

"Paul Westwell" <paul.news@nospam.westwell.me.uk> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> My remote assistance used to work fine but is now broken!
>
> I am trying to use it on my home network which consists of a Linksys
> BEFSR41
> and two PC's running XP and SP2, UPnP is enabled on both machines and on
> the
> router.
>
> I have MSN 6.2 and have also reinstalled Messenger within XP as I was
> unsure
> if this is required in addition to MSN even if it is not running.
>
> Mcafee firewall running
>
> The problem I get is that I can request remote assistance from machine a
> machine b, machine b accepts and the help and support window opens. I then
> get (still on machine b) a with called "Remote assistance -- Web Page
> Dialog" which informs me "Remote Assistance failed, please try again"
>
> Any ideas?

I finally fixed this, I notice a number of other people were suffering the
same problem so hopefully someone else will benefit from my pain!

I determined the problem was nothing to do with my router and only occurred
when the request was made to one of my 4 PC's not from it.

Re-installing SP2 was the answer, initially I installed it on all 4 machines
from the Windows Update, this time I downloaded to 250Mb file from the
Microsoft website and just ran the install again without removing the
existing SP2.

That fixed them all one by one!

Hope this helps someone.