OptiPlex 110 - max amount of RAM?

I am refurbing a nice used OptiPlex 110 small form factor PC. It is running
great but I wanted to add some more RAM. Currently it has 2 X 128MB in it.
I pulled one of the 128MB DIMMs and replaced it with a brand new PC133 256MB
DIMM.

Now when I boot I get a weird error message immediately upon powering up.
(I forget the text, but it is about a paragraph long and state something
about several previous boot attempts.) I can't even get into BIOS - it goes
immediately to this error message. I put the 128 DIMM back and all is fine.

Anyway, is there an issue with using more than 256MB of RAM in this machine?

Thanks in advance. Keith

news.columbus.rr.com wrote:
> I am refurbing a nice used OptiPlex 110 small form factor PC. It is running
> great but I wanted to add some more RAM. Currently it has 2 X 128MB in it.
> I pulled one of the 128MB DIMMs and replaced it with a brand new PC133 256MB
> DIMM.
>
> Now when I boot I get a weird error message immediately upon powering up.
> (I forget the text, but it is about a paragraph long and state something
> about several previous boot attempts.) I can't even get into BIOS - it goes
> immediately to this error message. I put the 128 DIMM back and all is fine.
>
> Anyway, is there an issue with using more than 256MB of RAM in this machine?
>
> Thanks in advance. Keith

that system only support's PC100

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?model=OptiPlex+GX110+Series&tabid=AM

"Patrick L. Parks" <1H8Comcast@anybodyelse.com> wrote in message
> news.columbus.rr.com wrote:
>> I am refurbing a nice used OptiPlex 110 small form factor PC. It is
>> running great but I wanted to add some more RAM. Currently it has 2 X
>> 128MB in it. I pulled one of the 128MB DIMMs and replaced it with a brand
>> new PC133 256MB DIMM.
>>
>> Now when I boot I get a weird error message immediately upon powering up.
>> (I forget the text, but it is about a paragraph long and state something
>> about several previous boot attempts.) I can't even get into BIOS - it
>> goes immediately to this error message. I put the 128 DIMM back and all
>> is fine.
>>
>> Anyway, is there an issue with using more than 256MB of RAM in this
>> machine?
>>
>> Thanks in advance. Keith
> that system only support's PC100
>
> http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?model=OptiPlex+GX110+Series&tabid=AM

....and 512mb max (2x256mb) at that.

Stew

Your issue is most likely due to the PC133 being high
density
chips, which most PC100 mobos will not deal with correctly.
Memory makers still sell PC100 low density DIMMs, but they
now
cost more than the higher density ones.

"news.columbus.rr.com" <mail@mail.com> wrote in message
>I am refurbing a nice used OptiPlex 110 small form factor
>PC. It is running great but I wanted to add some more RAM.
>Currently it has 2 X 128MB in it. I pulled one of the 128MB
>DIMMs and replaced it with a brand new PC133 256MB DIMM.
>
> Now when I boot I get a weird error message immediately
> upon powering up. (I forget the text, but it is about a
> paragraph long and state something about several previous
> boot attempts.) I can't even get into BIOS - it goes
> immediately to this error message. I put the 128 DIMM
> back and all is fine.
>
> Anyway, is there an issue with using more than 256MB of
> RAM in this machine?
>
> Thanks in advance. Keith

In fact, the low density memory chips are pretty much out of production by now,
so there is very little new PC100 or PC133 memory being made with low density
chips. On the good side of things, used memory is plentiful and inexpensive.

.... Ben Myers

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 10:20:57 -0400, "Pen" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>Your issue is most likely due to the PC133 being high
>density
>chips, which most PC100 mobos will not deal with correctly.
>Memory makers still sell PC100 low density DIMMs, but they
>now
>cost more than the higher density ones.
>
>"news.columbus.rr.com" <mail@mail.com> wrote in message
>>I am refurbing a nice used OptiPlex 110 small form factor
>>PC. It is running great but I wanted to add some more RAM.
>>Currently it has 2 X 128MB in it. I pulled one of the 128MB
>>DIMMs and replaced it with a brand new PC133 256MB DIMM.
>>
>> Now when I boot I get a weird error message immediately
>> upon powering up. (I forget the text, but it is about a
>> paragraph long and state something about several previous
>> boot attempts.) I can't even get into BIOS - it goes
>> immediately to this error message. I put the 128 DIMM
>> back and all is fine.
>>
>> Anyway, is there an issue with using more than 256MB of
>> RAM in this machine?
>>
>> Thanks in advance. Keith

Great - thanks a lot everyone. I will look for some PC100 DIMMs.

Thanks, Keith