Windows Messenger and MSN Messenger

I am running Windows XP Professional with SP2 installed. Also Office XP
Professional.

In running services, I noticed that Windows Messenger is shown as disabled.
I do have MSN Messenger installed. Is Windows Messenger suppose to be
disabled? I thought XP needed this to run NetMeetiing and related services?

Well, you're probably looking at the "Messenger" service which is disabled,
it's a service that allows
network admins to IM your computer. But many spammers are using it to
advertise, so most computers
have the service disabled. "Messenger" is not related Windows Messenger at
all.

"Lori Ann Kuiper" <loriak25@netnitco.net> wrote in message
> I am running Windows XP Professional with SP2 installed. Also Office XP
> Professional.
>
> In running services, I noticed that Windows Messenger is shown as
disabled.
> I do have MSN Messenger installed. Is Windows Messenger suppose to be
> disabled? I thought XP needed this to run NetMeetiing and related
services?

Greetings Lori,

Also read Chris's post, because I think he's accurately determined what you're referring to.
However, for the record, Windows Messenger itself won't affect Netmeeting.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert