Windows Messenger auto starts

I have 2 accounts with .Net Passport so I can run Windows
Messenger and MSN messenger at the same time. When I
connect to the internet, my Windows Messenger
automatically logs on but my contact list is from MSN
Messenger. In Windows Messenger, I have unchecked run
this program when windows starts, also allow this program
to run in the background. These are UNCHECKED. But still
my windows messenger auto starts upon logging onto
internet but with MSN contact list showing and then
others see me as being online with MSN. How do I fix this
mess please? Have tried what little I know without
totally disabling windows messenger.
Thas ahead of time all.
Allan

Greetings Allan,

Do you have Norton Antivirus installed? Recent versions of Norton Antivirus added an
"instant messaging scanning" feature, which can conflict with Messenger and cause it to also
keep starting. To stop it, open Norton Antivirus (Right-click on the Norton Antivirus icon in
the System Tray/Notification Area (by the clock), choose 'Open Norton Antivirus'), click
Options, then Instant Messenger then uncheck MSN Instant Messenger and click OK.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"Allan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have 2 accounts with .Net Passport so I can run Windows
> Messenger and MSN messenger at the same time. When I
> connect to the internet, my Windows Messenger
> automatically logs on but my contact list is from MSN
> Messenger. In Windows Messenger, I have unchecked run
> this program when windows starts, also allow this program
> to run in the background. These are UNCHECKED. But still
> my windows messenger auto starts upon logging onto
> internet but with MSN contact list showing and then
> others see me as being online with MSN. How do I fix this
> mess please? Have tried what little I know without
> totally disabling windows messenger.
> Thas ahead of time all.
> Allan

Thank you very much Jonathan Kay, it seemed to work. My
Norton should still pick up things if it is transmited
through there though shouldn't it?
Allan

Jonathan Kay.

>"Allan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
>>I have 2 accounts with .Net Passport so I can run
Windows
>> Messenger and MSN messenger at the same time. When I
>> connect to the internet, my Windows Messenger
>> automatically logs on but my contact list is from MSN
>> Messenger. In Windows Messenger, I have unchecked run
>> this program when windows starts, also allow this
program
>> to run in the background. These are UNCHECKED. But
still
>> my windows messenger auto starts upon logging onto
>> internet but with MSN contact list showing and then
>> others see me as being online with MSN. How do I fix
this
>> mess please? Have tried what little I know without
>> totally disabling windows messenger.
>> Thas ahead of time all.
>> Allan
>

>.

Hi Allan,

Yes, all this feature does is automatically can files when they're received as opposed to
having to run or view them first. Of course if you're using MSN Messenger anyway, this
feature is also redundant.

> Thank you very much Jonathan Kay, it seemed to work. My
> Norton should still pick up things if it is transmited
> through there though shouldn't it?
> Allan

It's not redundant unless Auto-Protect is left enabled.

Michael Katz
[Microsoft MVP - MSN Client]
"There's no I in 'team' but there is 'me'"
http://msmvps.com/msntral

This posting is provided 'AS IS' with no warranties, and confers no rights.